Thread: Keeps those belts tight!

In addition to reading all the great racing reports for the new season, we also get "news" via the inbox. With a great sense of humor for someone who just crunched their car (note the BMW slogan on the pedestrian overpass), the author's subject line read, "Didn't want to be writing one of these testimonials."

It all started with backing into the tire wall at moderate speed:

"As you can see, I also used the rollbar. It looks like a full cage would be a lot safer."

Just a reminder to stay safe. We want everyone on the track for more storytelling--and smack talkin' of course, don't forget he smack talkin'.

Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

When did this happen at LRP?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

We received the e-mail Saturday morning. The time/date stamp on the photo appears to be 2:15PM Friday.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

We received the e-mail Saturday morning. The time/date stamp on the photo appears to be 2:15PM Friday.
    [/b]
    This is a great reminder...

First race this year, I thought the car felt really loose during the first few laps. That's when I realized I never tightened the shoulder belts. I was fortunate not to have any accidents during that lapse It's also interesting, I cut a couple seconds off my lap time after the butt was fastened in!

Just for reference...

Those windshield pillars are actually a roll over structure composed of double wall hardened steel and are about 2" in diameter. Looks like more than a low speed incident.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Here's the full text:
    <blockquote>
    The datalogger shows me hitting the tire wall at about 37mph and bouncing back almost 180 degrees. I hit the wall mostly backwards, so my head was initially forced back into the seat. Then I bounced forwards and Isaac caught my head. It&#39;s the next day and I have a moderately sore neck and no car. It could have been a lot worse.

As you can see, I also used the rollbar. It looks like a full cage would be a lot safer.

Thanks!</blockquote>
    We&#39;ve been trading messages, so I don&#39;t have the story directly from the horse&#39;s mouth. Obviously, it&#39;s one of those multiple-impact scenarios and, somehow, he ended up with the shiny side down. BMW builds a pretty stout car and it&#39;s a shame to crunch a nice Z like that.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

I spoke with the driver (John Danskin, who authorized us to post) this morning and got this update:

<blockquote>1. The Injury.
    He is fine. Today is the first day with no neck pain. The EMTs spent considerable time with him before he was released, so there was never any concern about serious injury.

2. The Crash.
    He backed into the tire wall as his first impact. It was almost straight on backwards, but not quite. The car came off the ground about five feet, rolled and came down on the roof, continued to roll and came to rest on the driver&#39;s side door.</blockquote>

John&#39;s neck pain was probably a soft tissue injury, most likely caused when the shoulder belts loaded the trapezius muscles which connect to the neck. This is not unusual. John and the EMTs did the right thing getting him checked out.

Here&#39;s an example of doing the wrong thing (from a March phone inquiry)...

<blockquote>Caller: I have some questions about your product.
    Me: You called the right place. What do you race?
    Caller: Sprint car.
    Me: Where do you race?
    Caller: Minnesota.
    Me: What can I help you with?
    Caller: Well, I crashed pretty hard and decided to get more safety gear.
    Me: What was the crash like?
    Caller: First I got hit on the left side and rolled. Then I got hit on the right side and rolled.
    Me: Man, that must have been quite a ride!
    Caller: That came next, when I got hit again and was punted over the fence into the parking lot. I hit something so hard my neck still hurts.
    Me: Wait a minute. It&#39;s March. You&#39;re in Minnesota probably waist deep in snow. When did this happen?
    Caller: Last September...
    </blockquote>
    I&#39;m 99% certain this guy was walking around 4+ months with a broken bone in his neck or head. If it hurts for more than a week, see a Doc.

Disclaimer: I&#39;m not an MD and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

And keep those belts tight!
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Gregg, thanks for continuing to worry about us!
    I had a successful first run with my new Link this past weekend while shaking the car down at a Solo.
    Everything felt great and I had lot&#39;s of practice getting in and out of the car and getting the system hooked and unhooked for each run.
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

This thread reminds me that I forgot to call Gregg again today. :P

My neck was nice and sore for a good week or so after last years rollover. I don&#39;t care to have that pain again.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

This thread reminds me that I forgot to call Gregg again today. :P

My neck was nice and sore for a good week or so after last years rollover. I don&#39;t care to have that pain again.
    [/b]
    If he starts talking about great opportunities in Amway, you may have dialed the wrong number....
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

It&#39;s good to get a report early in the season, but two in one week...
    <blockquote>
    I wanted to send you an email to compliment you on a great system! I have used it for a while now, but haven&#39;t had to &#39;use&#39; it until this past weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park. The backend got loose and came around on me at the "kink". I went for an off track excursion and impacted a tirewall with the driver side at right under 100mph at about a 45deg. angle. Not only was I not injured in the incident, my neck wasn&#39;t even sore the next day! </blockquote>
    Steve, in fact, there are great opportunities at Amway...

Okay, enough of this nonsense. Stay safe out there, and get back to work.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Just talked with the driver who said he left the pavement at ~120 and scrubbed off some speed before impact. He&#39;s going to send video, if it can be retrieved.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC