Thread: Tranny for Gratten

Will I need 5th gear in my ITC Rabbit for Grattan?

Warning, I don't know anything about Rabbits or ITC cars. You'll probably be doing about 75 MPH coming onto the front straight. At that point you've got an old drag strip before you hit turn 1. I'm at about 115-120 MPH going into turn 1. Maybe Chris will chime in with some wisdom more appropriate to your car.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

You can replace 5th gear fairly easily in the 020 transaxle. Sometimes though it's the output shaft splines that have failed on 5th gear.
    If you need parts or help with rebuilding let me know.

You can replace 5th gear fairly easily in the 020 transaxle. Sometimes though it's the output shaft splines that have failed on 5th gear.
    If you need parts or help with rebuilding let me know.
    [/b]

Huh?

I thought it was Verbotten to change gear ratios in the tranny, only the final drive?

To the question, which gear depends on which final gear you are running. in my car, 4th has been enough there with up to a 5.13 gear (even 5th with that gear is too short for the back straight at Mid-ohio), but as they say, your mileage may vary.

Now that I think about it I suppose that I could run either a five speed tranny or a four speed tranny as long as my final drive is right for the track. I have both a 5 speed and a 4 speed.

Don't forget that equally significant changes can now be made with tire and wheel diameters. For example, 20" diameter tires on 13" wheels versus 22" diam on 15" is good for a hefty 10% adjustment.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service