Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NARRC Rule changes?

I'll take any help on this one, and I guess this would come under the general heading of "I should have read the instructions BEFORE I started putting together the tricycle", but the quote below is from the 2007 NARRC rules (which I JUST read), and if I read this correctly, I MUST race at LRP at certain races according to this?

"To be eligible for double points at the NARRC Runoffs, a driver must qualify or race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races. [That is, at least one race presented by each of the those 3 Regions.]"

So, this means that I MUST race at the May 19th race (Mo-Hud), AND I MUST race at the August 11th race (NNJR) (now I that I have already made my committments for the Cincy IT Fest, which looks like it's going to be a BLAST and a great value for seat time!) and that I must race in one of the two NER races at LRP, that are scheduled for a either a one day event in June after a Driver's School, or a one day event ON THE FOURTH OF JULY! If I don't do the above, I give up double points for the NARRC? Is this NEW for this year? I don't recall this being part of the requirements in any other year?

And, on a slightly separate note, the CHEAP DATE at NHIS is no longer a NARRC event? But the single day event (sprint race) at the RAL is a NARRC race?

In any event, it's not the end of the world one way or the other, because I was really trying to do as many doubles this year as possible to get the best use of my "racing budget", it just seems odd to me that we are being "required" this year to race at LRP as much as this if we want to have double points at the NARRCs.

There is probably a very good reason for the change this year (if it IS a change), just as there is a good reason to read the instructions before you start to put together the tricycle (as my wife has been so kind to point out to me in the past!), so if anyone can enlighten me, thanks.

Tim M
    Tim Mullen
    # 86 ITB
    2006 NERRC Champion - ITB
    2006 NARRC Champion - ITB

There is probably a very good reason for the change this year...[/b]
    "Reason"? Yes. "Good"? No.

Chalk it up to inter-region political power struggles/squabbles. Really, really stupid ones.

Yet another reason Greg won't be bothering with NARRC points this year...there are bigger ponds with bigger fish to fry...

Purely my personal opinion.

There have been a couple interations of the rules with this one being the latest. The one thing I will say is that the way I read the rules, you don't have to go to either of the NER events at LRP to be eligible, you have to go to ANY NER event...track independent. I could be wrong on that one now that I read it for the 100th time.

IMHO, the reason for the change is to stimulate attendance at the more 'poorly' subscribed LRP events in an effort to keep losses for those smaller Regions at a minimum. Also, being a multi-regional series, it is important that you can't just stick to your 'home' track and collect a Championship. The NARRC, as recently as 2-3 years ago, has been very NHIS-centric. This move, with the effective bonus points for the Pocono event, promote inter-track travel and IMHO make for more well-balanced Champions. It costs me money but we do need to be fair to drivers closer to WGI, LRP and Pocono. NNJ, MoHud and NYR members just aren't close to New Hampshire.

Having said that, there are political influences at work here. I have been in contact with the people in charge from the beginning but for the real scoop, you need to talk with all the NARRC reps from every Region. They will each have a different take and point of view. You will have to piece your own together. I have mine and will share at the track should anyone care.

Thanks to NER RE Doug M. for listening to me on the phone...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Sure looks like there was as much intra-committee warfare at the spring meeting as there was at the fall one:

POINTS: Points are awarded to the top ten positions to all NARRC-eligible finishers as follows:

First through 9th places = 12-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.

Double points – NARRC Runoffs only (if eligible) = 24-18-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1.

See immediately below for eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for double points at the NARRC Runoffs, a driver must qualify or race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races. [That is, at least one race presented by each of the those 3 Regions.]

Totals = Finishing points earned in the best eight (8) class finishes of all NARRC races held + plus one extra point for each start per the final, official Timing & Scoring results, + bonus points awarded in the following manner. Four (4) bonus points for one start at one circuit; four (4) additional bonus points for one start at a 2nd circuit; and 12 additional bonus points for one start at a 3rd circuit. (4 + 4 + 12 = 20 bonus points maximum).

NOTE; Bonus points are only available at races sanctioned by the four Regions comprising NARRC.

Example: A driver competes in 14 races & wins the maximum allowed. Multiply 12 points per win by 7 wins = 84; 14 starts = 14; all 3 tracks =20 bonus points. This equals 118 points and is the maximum available upon entering the NARRC Runoffs. This would also qualify the driver for the double points available at the NARRC Runoffs. Winning the NARRC Runoffs would add an additional 24 points to the driver’s total. Therefore, the maximum points possible for each class champion is 118 + 24 = 142

we do need to be fair to drivers closer to WGI, LRP and Pocono.
    [/b]
    We need to be fair to the largest majority of the drivers.

Last time I ran the numbers over 75% of the drivers were from NER, and only 5% were from New York Region.

How about being fair to drivers from Maine? How is forcing them to tow all the way to Pocono and WGI fair to them?

Looks to me like trying to favour the very few at the expense of the many. Government committees at their worst.
    Dave Lyons - TACT is for people not witty enough to be SARCASTIC.
    Latte is French for "You paid too much for your coffee."

Yet another reason Dave won't be bothering with NARRC points this year...there are bigger ponds with bigger fish to fry...

Purely my personal opinion. [/b]
    Mid Ohio IT Fest and ARRC, here I come!

Tim, you already have one series championship on the wall, come play at some of these other events with us.

Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

We need to be fair to the largest majority of the drivers.

Last time I ran the numbers over 75% of the drivers were from NER, and only 5% were from New York Region.

How about being fair to drivers from Maine? How is forcing them to tow all the way to Pocono and WGI fair to them?

Looks to me like trying to favour the very few at the expense of the many. Government committees at their worst. [/b]
    Well, you can rub the numbers anyway you want to make an arguement. It COULD be argued that drivers from the other drivers from other Regions DIDN'T come because of preponderance of NHIS events in the NARRC series - making it undesirable.

The 'Drivers from Maine' comment isn't a good arguement. They just don't live near the series. You can't use one extreme to make a rule. 'Maine' drivers have the NERRC if they want a local series. If they want a inter-regional series, they have to travel. Same with drivers from NY, NJ and CT.

Understand I am fully aware of the political issues at play and I don't like it...but this is a decent middle-ground, trust me.

Mid Ohio IT Fest and ARRC, here I come!

[/b]
    Dave,

This info should FAVOR someone like you who doesn't like to travel to NHIS. A more balanced schedule allows you to stay closer to home more often - but not exclusively. Right now the 2007 schedule looks like this:

NHIS - 6 points paying events
    LRP - 5
    Pocono - 2
    WGI - 1

I would argue that LRP is the most centrally located track to the Regions included in the series.

You could do 7 NARRC events and get double points for the Runoffs without setting foot in New Hampshire. Could you win the whole thing? I doubt it as you will have someone 'winning' up North without any blocking and it would come down to the Runoffs - plus you wouldn't have the 8 event max...

I am a Massachusetts guy and I have to travel more for the NARRC now. I see value in running against the best from all 4 Regions so I don't mind so much. If I don't want to travel, the NERRC is where I would stay. There are options for both.
    Andy Bettencourt

A series forcing drivers to race at particular events and tracks is new to me. With the SARRC, except not allowing races at two tracks within 450 miles of each other on the same or consecutive weekends, we tend to let capitalism do it's thing. If a region can not put on a race and break even or make a little that's too bad. We figure maybe they should get out of the way for someone who can.

Unlike other parts of the country we also have a tendency to be "red" states. Unions, seniority and protectionism mean little here. It's kind of way of life that treats everyone the same and I for one like it.

Tom Sprecher

This info should FAVOR someone like you who's afraid to drive at NHIS.

[/b]

There, that's more realistic. He's worried the Canadians will beat him!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

This info should FAVOR someone like you who doesn't like to travel to NHIS.[/b]
    It isn't the traveling, it is I do not care for NHIS or similar types of tracks (Pocono comes to mind). I do get the point you were trying to make with this though.

Afraid? Not this year. LOL Besides, I'm sure I will see them down at the ARRC and am fully aware of just how crazy fast they are. Oh, I didn't tell you yet that I'm getting a new custom Koni suspension and will have Kessler Engineering tune it with me at the track. No more of these soft 400/600 springs. I won't be surprised if the car/driver is slower before the package becomes faster. I guess time will only tell.
    Dave Gran

It isn't the traveling, it is I do not care for NHIS or similar types of tracks (Pocono comes to mind). I do get the point you were trying to make with this though.

Afraid? Not this year. LOL Besides, I'm sure I will see them down at the ARRC and am fully aware of just how crazy fast they are. Oh, I didn't tell you yet that I'm getting a new custom Koni suspension and will have Kessler Engineering tune it with me at the track. No more of these soft 400/600 springs. I won't be surprised if the car/driver is slower before the package becomes faster. I guess time will only tell.
    [/b]
    Are you feeling ok? Did Melissa get a raise? Boy that book must be selling!

Dave is on a spending spree!

Jeremy Billiel

[/b]

If you need someone to make the car go fast me or Greg will drive it for you. :P

Is that a better insult Jeremy?
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

If you need someone to make the car go fast me or Greg will drive it for you. :P

Is that a better insult Jeremy?
    [/b]
    MUCH Better... I missed you Joe!
    Jeremy Billiel

To be eligible for double points at the NARRC Runoffs, a driver must qualify or race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races. [That is, at least one race presented by each of the those 3 Regions.]
    [/b]
    As far as I see it, you have two options to get double points for the NARRC runoffs double points:

1) Qualify for the race: Basicaly just run in the qualifying session and earn a qualifying spot (see GCR for reasons someone wouldn't qualify, such as not enough laps, not fast enough, non compliant car, etc.)

or

2) race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races. [That is, at least one race presented by each of the those 3 Regions.]

I would submit a protest just in a simple protest of the lousy people that are on the NARRC committee. You people simply SUCK. I wish we had a way to vote those people out... actually lets figure out how to do a pole at the track and give feedback to the comittee. I think that this year I will probably figure out how to make anti NARRC stickers and I probably wont run the NARRC Runoffs even though I respect that race a lot simply because it has some great competitors.

On a side note... It really sucks to be the "southern" racer who plans on running all Lime Rock, Pocono, WGI races, but unfortunatly is busy and will miss one of those Lime Rock races they need for double points, thus completely taking them out of a chance for even the top 5 in class.

Raymond "Not impressed" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Are you feeling ok? Did Melissa get a raise? Boy that book must be selling! [/b]
    I haven't even broken even from my book yet but having the ability to write off my car build did help with taxes. He, he, he. I also decided to pursue some sponsors this year, worked several extra hours, and with my not racing last year, I was able to save up a bit. Besides, Melissa is talking about having a baby next year so I better build the car up now!! By the June LRP race, the car will be built very well.

Dave is on a spending spree![/b]
    I know. I.......can't.......stop! Today my new AEM air intake system arrived at the front door. Where do I sign up for racers anomyous?
    Dave Gran

As far as I see it, you have two options to get double points for the NARRC runoffs double points:

1) Qualify for the race: Basicaly just run in the qualifying session and earn a qualifying spot (see GCR for reasons someone wouldn't qualify, such as not enough laps, not fast enough, non compliant car, etc.)

or

2) race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races. [That is, at least one race presented by each of the those 3 Regions.][/b]

Raymond is correct on this in my opinion... If the following isn't the intention they incorrectly wrote the rules and it will need a revision for 2008.

It says you must Qualifyat the NARRC Runnoffs event OR race at the other 3 regions races to be eligable for double points. So basically if you run at least one race presented by each of the three regions you could skip qualifying on friday and then just start from last and still be eligable fro double points. If you don't run all three races you must qualify on Friday to be eligable for the points.

There is always a loophole! NARRC is still not a lost series afterall!
    Stephen

PS: I am not a representitive of the committe so I cannot speak on the original intention I can only read the rule as stated.

Raymond is correct on this in my opinion... If the following isn't the intention they incorrectly wrote the rules and it will need a revision for 2008.

It says you must Qualifyat the NARRC Runnoffs event OR race at the other 3 regions races to be eligable for double points. So basically if you run at least one race presented by each of the three regions you could skip qualifying on friday and then just start from last and still be eligable fro double points. If you don't run all three races you must qualify on Friday to be eligable for the points.

There is always a loophole! NARRC is still not a lost series afterall!
    Stephen

PS: I am not a representitive of the committe so I cannot speak on the original intention I can only read the rule as stated. [/b]
    Are you guys sharing the same brain today?

"To be eligible for double points at the NARRC Runoffs, a driver must qualify or race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races."

Where does it say OR?

Andy Bettencourt

Are you guys sharing the same brain today?

"To be eligible for double points at the NARRC Runoffs, a driver must qualify or race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races."

Where does it say OR?

[/b]
    Took me a while to see it. Quite creative.

"To be eligible for double points at the NARRC Runoffs, a driver must (qualify) OR (race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races)."

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

What makes up a championship?

Should it be a requirement that a NARRC championship goes to a driver that has raced at one of each sponsoring regions events? In that case you must race at the Mo-Hud May 19 and NYR Narrc-offs. Miss the Mo-Hud race and all you lose is a shot at the double points at the Narrc-offs. You still get the regular points.

Should it be a requirement that a NARRC championship goes to a driver that has raced at each of the Narrc region's tracks? Then you must get yourself to Pocono. We already have an incentive for this in the 4+4+12=20 bonus points for running three tracks. Note that the Glen is our 'out of region' event and does not add to the 4/20 point kicker for a Narrc region track.

So we either have the best or worst of both worlds. Each region wants their races to be financially successful. To win the championship you do not need to run a race at every track, nor do you need to run at every region's race. Your benefit in the rules are track bonus points and a double points race at the end of the year.

You do not have to do anything different to win the championship other than show up and race. The points kickers are nothing but crutches that support the series sponors. Not necessarily a bad thing.

So the philosophy this year is to encourage participation at each regions races. Given the enmity between regions that I saw, based on their representaitves beliefs of what was best for the series and their region, this is the result.

So it goes.... (RIP Kurt)

Dave Zaslow

"To be eligible for double points at the NARRC Runoffs, a driver must qualify or race at NARRC races at Lime Rock presented by Mo-Hud AND Northern New Jersey, AND one of the New England races. [That is, at least one race presented by each of the those 3 Regions.]"

So, this means that I MUST race at the May 19th race (Mo-Hud), AND I MUST race at the August 11th race (NNJR) (now I that I have already made my committments for the Cincy IT Fest, which looks like it's going to be a BLAST and a great value for seat time!) and that I must race in one of the two NER races at LRP, that are scheduled for a either a one day event in June after a Driver's School, or a one day event ON THE FOURTH OF JULY! If I don't do the above, I give up double points for the NARRC? Is this NEW for this year? I don't recall this being part of the requirements in any other year?
    Tim M
    [/b]
    Where are all of the english majors?
    In my opinion Tim has this correct. Others have tried to add words, commas, or brackets to make the sentance read differently.

...a driver must qualify or race at NARRC races at Lime Rock... means that he must either qualify or race at each of the listed events. The addition of the word qualify allows for an accident, error, or car breakage that would not allow the competitor to race at that event to still qualify for double points at the runoffs.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984