Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring-Loaded Window

They are not shown or explained in the GCR...

Are the springloaded window nets legal?

Thanks,

Todd

If tensioning is what you're after, here's a more secure approach

or is it the axial tensioning of the top rod?

Old topic, sorry for resurrecting it... but I think he means the type that secure to the cage with a spring loaded rod... sort of like a toilet paper holder.....

And yes, they are legal. I use one in my car.
    Banned.

But, not all tech inspectors will allow the attachment shown in the pic. Mine was attached that way, and the tech objected....and told me it "Must" be changed. I suggested the use of the strapping was the same material and consistant with oh, lets say....the straps that hold ME in the car. to which he told me that they WILL get changed, or I WON'T race, and that I should be more concerned about MY safety that HE was....

He then made some strident marks in my logbook, and told me to "Come back when it's done right...""
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jake, I think that is a local problem and I think tech is wrong. They are hanging their hat on the GCR say you cannot use elastic. I have just not been in a situation yet to challenge it in a productive way.
    Which go back to the sage advice, do not take anyone’s word for the rules. Check the book and respectfully ask where the interpretation comes from. This is the same advice I give to new tech inspectors.
    It is not tech’s job to determine the safety of a design only the compliance.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Dick, I agree....and my comments regrding the lack of similarity of the term "eleastic cord" and the installed webbing fell on deaf ears. he suggested that I could appeal the decision, but if I wanted to race........

So, given the options, I sucked it up.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Dick, I agree....and my comments regrding the lack of similarity of the term "eleastic cord" and the installed webbing fell on deaf ears. he suggested that I could appeal the decision, but if I wanted to race........

So, given the options, I sucked it up.
    [/b]

Jake-

"but if I wanted to race..."

That is NOT something that the Tech inspectors should be threataning IMO. Certainly they can deny your car for anything, and you may appeal it. The Stewards will decide if you are racing or not (If you appeal). Also remember to talk to the Tech Steward whenever a tech person makes such strong comments. He/She is their to help everyone (you and the tech people).

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Right, it was an annual, and it was the grand poobah of tech. While I disagreed with him, I decided to leave it alone and leave the option to disagree later over something bigger. As far as I know, that individual isn't in the same role anymore....
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Right, it was an annual, and it was the grand poobah of tech. While I disagreed with him, I decided to leave it alone and leave the option to disagree later over something bigger. As far as I know, that individual isn't in the same role anymore....
    [/b]
    So how would the Grand Poobah want the bottom attached? (in my circumstance, see above pix)

Help me out guys.

Window net installation rule.

Can't use:

plastic buckles = a plastic latch. Ok, I understand that..

cable ties = I don't have a clue what a cable tie is. HELP..................

hose clamps = metal or otherwise clamp that secures a hose to something. Ok, I understand that.

elastic cords = a strechy bungy cord. Ok, I understand that.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

cable tie = TyRap

Maybe the Poohbah wants the install to look just like page GCR-87 (?)... the problem I have with that is that requires the "window" through the side bars to be small enough to as to encumber general if not even emergency ingress/egress. I don't think it's correct to assume that the door can't be opened in every emergency. If I had my sidebars like that, I'd have to have a removable wheel and even then, as lithe as my old body is, I'd have to limbo through the bars. I see nothing in my pix above that doesn't conform with 9.3.52. Not shown in the picture is a single lever full drop-down from the top release.

better pix (my last one above)...... so how could I change something IF I wanted to please the Grand Poobah?

[/b]
    Grand poobah? Are you referring to Bill Pichardo, the National Administrator for Tech, or did you mean some lesser, but still somewhat grand, poobah?

I can't believe Bill would talk to a competitor that way, so you must mean someone else. Besides, Bill is still the grandest G.P. in the tech world, at least for one more year.

Jim -

It's a little hard to see in the photo, but your installation looks fine to me. It wouldn't draw a comment from me in impound or during an annual inspection. No telling what the poobah wants to see...
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

I am only referencing the GP mentioned above and I have no idea who that person is.........

LOL, no, he was a Regional Grand Poobah, so I guess he wasn't really Grand at all. We seem to be in great hands with our current tech guys. (Two of whom post here...)
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

***so how could I change something IF I wanted to please the Grand Poobah?***

Replace the webbing with 1/8 diameter steel strand cable & anchor clamps after looping around the welded side protection loop.

It looks like you now have the deal covered if you are upside down with lap belt buckles near the driver. Is that correct ?
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

It looks like you now have the deal covered if you are upside down with lap belt buckles near the driver. Is that correct ?
    [/b]
    I'll assume the steel cable was tonque-in-check.........

The top is the legal -mandated release. The bottom belts can both tension and release if need be. That scheme was provided by Berg racing who did my cage upgrade.

I had the same issue as Jake at the annual tech inspection. My lower window net bar uses a seat belt strap/release. The upper was modified for "top-down" this year. I too was told that straps are not acceptable. It needs to be metal-metal contact.

Not really a big deal for me... I had planned to change the lower mounting anyway. But the car does have to be reinspected since it was marked in the log book. That part is a pain.
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

So a metal strap would be legal then I guess......

The rule that states no elastic does not state metal material only. If you had a bungee chord there, I understand the position of illegality. If what is intended is metal material only, then we need to write the rule to say that.

I use a spring loaded lower bar, and a seat belt latched upper bar to hold mine in.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com