Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As the World Turns. . . CCR RE resigns, Lowe's cancelled

That's what I hear today.

WTF?? I seriously hope this is just rumor... Lowe's is by far my favorite event of the year..
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

I hope this is not true. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my motor just so that i can make that race, now they go and cancell it.

Well, I posted a new thread on the CCR site. I'll go back and e-mail Coy Gillenwater and whoever else I can find to see what the truth might be. Like Manny and others, I enjoyed Lowe's last year despite all of the bad things I'd heard prior to going. I hope this isn't true. If I find out anything, I'll pass it on.

Scott Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org
    IT7 and SPU
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

What does the CCR RE resigning have to do with it? Sorry, I'm naive when it comes to political issues.

R

My fault, I made it sound like something bad on his part.

I was told that Martin Bartlett, the former RE, did a tremendous amount of legwork to make Lowe's happen each year. Apparently, Lowe's is a real beast to pull together. The person that told me about the situation said that Martin resigned for personal/professional reasons and that there was doubt anyone else would be able to pull it off. Hopefully it will change.

Since this is now public I will try to fill in the details. I am on the board for CCR and we had to make some tough decisions about this event. Lowes is by far the most expensive venue we run and takes either lots of cars or an entry fee that most will not pay. At this point it is not 100% dead as we will be speaking with track management in the coming days. This decision was made due to low attendance the past few years and the added problem of the Atlanta Region Feb race moved to the weekend before. Feedback we have gotten from most is that they will not be running the event. The entry fee would have to be near $250.00 to break even with projected attendance. All the costs involved with this venue have increased a fair amount from past years. This has nothing to do with our RE's resignation and we wish him the best with his new business ventures. I will post accurate information as soon as it is available.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Steve, if this would be helpful to you, I would pay a $250 entry fee for the SARRC to run there. I'm sure others would, and it seemed to me that last year we had a great ITS turn out (12 cars maybe?).

That said, understood if finances just don't allow it to work, but again I think most of us would pay the $250 to run there.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I believe most would pay $250. It is important that a decision is made quickly and that the race is publicized/marketed.

Count me in for the increased entry fees if that is the only reason for considering canceling the event.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

I'd pay $250 to run a SAARC there as well. Having never been able to run Lowe's for one reason or another I'd like the chance to do it. I'd imagine there are some others in that boat as well. The SM site would be a good place to get a head count too.

Ron

The stock car boys like it too.

I don't have the Lowe's race on my schedule, but $250 is well worth it.

The April SARRC at the backwater swamp known as Roebling is $240! ($370 for both races)

The April SARRC at the backwater swamp known as Roebling is $240!
    [/b]
    Amen. I'd pay $450 now.

I paid $195 plus an additional $75 for a procrastination penalty to run CMP last weekend. Competing with Road Atlanta's event may be tough, but I think I'd go back to Lowe's since it's a one-a-year thing over making the trip to Road Atlanta. Thanks to Mr. Bartlett for the blood, sweat, and tears he's given us. A big thanks to Dick McCollister for stepping-up to take on a big responsibility. It is appreciated.

Scott Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org
    IT7 and SPU
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I was planning on running at Lowe's. It'll be a shame if it gets cancelled. $250 is reasonable and we had better get used to entry fees going up just like everything else does.

Tom Sprecher

We ran the test day, the SARRC and CCPS last year. It's on our schedule for this year. We would pay the $250 for a SARRC race as well.
    1984 Porsche 944 ITS #54

We were planning to run the SARRC, ECR and Carolina Cup race as well at Lowes. From what the schedule says about the Road Atlanta event, it says that it is a SARRC, National and Pro IT. I am not real sure how you would get much seat time with all of that going on. I would think more people would rather run a regional at Lowes than have little seat time at Road Atlanta two weeks earlier.
    Chad Z
    #46 ITA

Lowe's Motor Speedway was my favorite event last year and that is saying a lot considering I ran Road Atlanta, VIR, Kershaw, Rockingham, Daytona, Sebring and Savannah. Charlotte is even faster than Daytona and you really feel like you are on the edge all the way around turns 3 and 4 on the banking which I imagine may be intimidating to some.

The reason I enjoy racing in SCCA and being in the Southeast is because I get to run tracks like Daytona, Rockingham and of course Lowe's Motor Speedway. How many guys can say they have raced at these places whether on the oval or not outside of Cup and Busch guys with multi-million dollar rides?

$250 would certainly be within our budget ... we'd probably run the CCPS if there is one.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion