Thread: Automatic activated fire system

Does anyone have those automatic activated fire systems? It's a 10lb bottle usually with a nozzle temperature sensing head. I am considering one for the fuel cell area. Any experience with these systems? Location of nozzle? Would the nozzle go inside the car (near cell) covering the rear compartment? In my application this would be a 2nd Gen RX7.

This is not a substitute or replacement for a push/pull system. I already have a 5lb pull with a nozzle on the intake side in the engine compartment and the other nozzle at the driver footwell/crotch area (also have a handheld in passenger area). I'd like some protection on the fuel cell area and thought some automatic protection would be better than going to a bigger push/pull system.

***the added weight is of zero concern, I already have ballast that can be removed ****

Thanks!
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

No replies, what gives?

1. This is the dumbest idea ever and no one wants to tell me. Someone speak up and let me know

2. No one has an automatic fire system.

3. This is IT, what's a fire system?

These are what I'm talking about: http://www.safecraft.com/product_page.asp?...oductSubCatID=1

Any feedback on an automatic system??? Even if you don't have one personally?
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

IMO, from a fire perspective, seems like overkill in an IT car. I have a pull system having moved up from a hand ext. Perhaps you're using the fire system weight for weight distro?

Weight distro has nothing to do with it, my driving skills need much more practice before I could ever tell 10lbs was added to the rear.

I do everything in excess. I like my life and my car, whatever extra I can do to save both is worth it to me. I've got some money invested in this car and would hate to see it burn, or myself for that matter. I do have a cell and external pump. Any comments on these automatic systems?
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

The word "automatic" makes most of us make a scrunched-up face like we're sucking on a lemon. "Automatic" in the racer world means that it automatically goes off when it can cause the most chaos....like on the 19th lap of a 21 lap race on a 98 degree day.

Needless complication that introduces a new element of unexpected failure. Pass.

Looked at your web site for the system. looks good. your car can catch fire in the trailer while you are asleep so speed has nothing to do with over kill. however i dont care for the discharge in the cab at 100 MPH in a sweeper either. i think if you confine it to under the hood or around the cell encased so it wont fog the cab its a good idea. you have to feel OK in your car to do well. if it makes you feel safer and it makes the guys on your shoulder sut up it just make you faster too.

Lawrence

I'll pick option 3. Don't know from automatic systems.

But since you're looking for input.

Stay away from halon unless you like heart attacks.

I'd strongly consider doing some checking to make sure the sensor can't reach the set point until you're damn ready for the thing to blow. Get some heat marker tape or crayons in the right range perhaps.

I had a car fire on track, its no fun, causes lots of damage (even a little fire) and it will rattle you no matter how cool you are. My first thought was 'damn, I really have to stop for this problem'.

My only encounter with an automatic fire system came from a friend I was crewing for several years ago. He drove a Formula Atlantic car and got into a minor accident that sent him off course through some rather rough terrain. The bouncing set off the fire system like an air bag. Our weekend was done as the motor sucked it fire retardent through the carbs, destroying a $30,000 engine, and, worse, he got second degree burns from the propellant spraying his groin. The nozzles were located at the recommended areas and the system had been professionally installed. Had there been a fire, none of this would've mattered, but there wasn't...only a bent rim and some cracked fiberglass. To me, they're not worth it.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic