Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OVR Race of Champions Restricted Regional

It appears you are correct. Kind of just makes Saturday morning "practice" and Saturday afternoon "qualifying", doesn't it? [/b]

It say's the National race is 19 laps, so wouldn't the regional also be 19?

Pack those rain tires....again.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Great turnout for Regional cars so far! Leaving for the track soon! I'll be in the green van or on my scooter running around all weekend. Should be a FUN weekend! I wish I was driving, but I just got the car back from the frame shop today. (Note to self - Make sure not to crash the car again - EVER)

See you all there!
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Man you're slow Downing! I crashed my car Sunday and it's fixed already. Well, it's not pretty and the body panels don't fit quite right. But it'll work for 50/50 and nothing will fly off!
    Ian

Hey Matt, how many regional cars are showing up? How about in ITA?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Joe Moser
    #63 ITA Honda CRX
    Great Lakes Division
    www.MoserRacing.com

Hey Matt, how many regional cars are showing up? How about in ITA?
    [/b]
    So does that mean you're coming?

I still don't know when we'll be there. We haven't even loaded yet so I guess once we get our asses moving. Oh yea, and I have to finish work first too. Man it's nice to only be an hour away from the track - no hurry for anything!

Matt, warm this up for me --->

:P

...and because its really hot out.... :snow_cool:
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Just wanted to say that it was great racing, meeting, and greeting everyone this weekend. Glad that those of us IT racers missed the rain! See y'all at Mid-O in August.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

It was a fun race to watch from my vantage point at dispatch. Huffmaster pretty well had the field covered, the Ruck Prelude was second, and I believe Matt Miller was third in S(looks like a new paint job)

I am not sure how A turned out, but I did see Kevin Ruck running near the front with a couple of CRXs.

Was that DJ in D Prepared in the red BMW? If it was, he won the class even with some mechanical issues late in the race.

There were 40+ cars in the field, which was a good turnout for the weekend.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)

It was a fun race to watch from my vantage point at dispatch. Huffmaster pretty well had the field covered, the Ruck Prelude was second, and I believe Matt Miller was third in S(looks like a new paint job)

I am not sure how A turned out, but I did see Kevin Ruck running near the front with a couple of CRXs.

Was that DJ in D Prepared in the red BMW? If it was, he won the class even with some mechanical issues late in the race.

There were 40+ cars in the field, which was a good turnout for the weekend. [/b]

Yea I'm embarrassed to say that was me in DP turning slower times than I did in ITS. Are intent was to use this as a test weekend. We missed the setup on the car as well as the broken header 1/2 way through the race. The good news, we are pretty sure how to get the setup right now. I got to watch the regional race and was wishing I was running with them. It was a good race and the Honda with the lighter weight this year kept pretty close to Rob's RX7. I'm glad I got to meet Kevin & his Dad as well as Brian. Todd stopped by and I got to meet him too. All nice people. We had a great time even thought the car wasn't 100% and it was good to BS'ing with Rob & Ray Huffmaster (thanks for the beer).

Results posted on Mylaps, search by Neohio

Despite the waiting around for our Sunday Race (@ 4:00 pm), the weekend was a blast! Thanks to all the OVR guys that included us regional guys Actually, the waiting around was probably good for me, the Huffmasters and their crew and I were up at Ruck's trailer drinking late (my other favorite part of race weekends!)

Qualfying went well with Huffmaster out front as usual, I was 2nd Overall, 1st ITA, and Brian Ehmer and Ruck took 3rd and 4th. "Cat Killer" Childs made some additional improvements in his ITA Neon with getting into the 46's... now he just needs to get that added power he was talking about + make the thing turn (ala Greg Amy style... damn Macpherson's) and he'll be right up there with us!

Sunday race was dry (thankfully after watching an AWESOME Huffmaster / Heinricy T3 chase in the morning race in the rain. They were placed in with all the GT1's, AS, T1, and T2 cars... despite having the slowest cars out, they ran the 2 fastest non-GT1 times of the race, with Huffmaster edging out Heinricy by a few tenths in time, and Heinricy edging out Huffmaster in position be a few seconds.

The Regional Race (IT) started with Huffmaster doing his best to set pace at exactly the wrong gearing for all of us Honda's, so I did my best to jump the start by a few feet. I don't think I got too much on him, but did manage to stay ahead of Brian's ITS Prelude through Turn 1. By Turn 2, both Huffmaster and Brian were rolling out in front of me. Ruck fell behind another ITS RX-7 and battled for a few laps. I chased Huffmaster and Brian for a few laps, but decided it was best to enter "cruise mode" with Ruck about 9 seconds back (he was fighting that RX-7 a little too long!) and no need to catch (even if the possibility was slim) the ITS front-runners.

Congrats to all, especially Jason Albright who set a new IT7 record (1:48.093)!

Here is a link to my In-Car (first 10 minutes anyways):
    J. Moser (ITA #63) - Mid-Ohio - Great Lakes Race of Champions
    --------------------------------------------------
    Joe Moser
    #63 ITA Honda CRX
    Great Lakes Division
    www.MoserRacing.com

Joe - that might be the longest post you've ever made on the internet. Congratulations! :P

Saturday night was the most fun I had all weekend. We had about a dozen guys in the RV until about 1am drinking beer like it was the last day it was going to be legal. That's ok though, we didn't go out on track on Sunday until after 4pm. Anyways, for Saturday morning qualifying, I put on four new Hoosiers and went out to scrub them in. I also only had about 1/4 tank of gas because I wanted to see how low it would go before coughing and then what it would weigh. I started out running 2:00+ laps in a ~45 car field - that was fun. Continued scrubbing and brought the lap times down to a 1:46.0 and was ready to really let one fly. Just then, on lap six, the car coughs in the keyhole. Crap. So a 1:46.0 it is! (BTW, yes, I was still legal on weight.)

Got 4th overall behind Rob, Joey, and Brian for Saturday afternoons qualifying race that wasn't a race. By the time the race started, it was about 90 degrees, humid, and I was on four old, bald-ass tires leftover from last year - hmm, I could see where that was going. Brian and Rob motored us ITA cars at the start and I promptly fealt my car was real tight as Joey pulled a good five car lenghts on my just in the keyhole. Afterwards I had to inquire if he was actually braking for the corner. He said yes, but I don't believe him. Brian had a lazy spin coming out of turn 13 on lap one and fell back. Rob pulled out on Joey, Joey pulled out on me, and they both eventually pulled in (fastest race lap set the grid for sunday, not finishing position, so no real reason to keep running if you got a time you were happy with). I stayed out and won the qualifying race and even got a sweet checkered flag for it, which made me happy because I doubted I would be getting one on Sunday.

Sunday's race finally came after waiting all day and we started in the same order of Rob, Joey, Brian, and me. Like Joey said, the third place ITS car got inside of me through turn one. I went into the corner on the outside of Brian (my teammate) so I feathered a second to allow him to clear me and slide in behind Joey. Unfortunately I didn't see the other ITS car latched onto his bumper before it was too late. It took me about five laps to get around him so my race was done already by that point as Joey was gone. It didn't matter much though because the car was still way too tight. Maybe the hot and humid weather did it, I don't know. But it wasn't handleing anywhere close to how it was there at the end of last year. But, we've got time, and we'll go through it and see what we find.

Overall, it was a fun weekend though and the OVR ran it pretty much flawlessly - good job, Matt! It was great to see everyone again!
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Glad to hear everyone had a good time! The kegs went rather fast at the Sat. night party! Sorry about the qual. race/non-race thing. I don't know what we were thinking... Next year it will be a 'real' race where your finishing position actually sets the grid for the race! The Regional turnout was great! (46 total I think) We ended up with around 246 total car count for the weekend. The delay Sun. morning was a drag, but once the weather moved out, things went pretty smooth. I'm very happy with how the restricted regional worked out and would love to have 80+ cars next year (and the need for 2 groups!).

See you all in August!

Matt
    Matt Downing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Matt Downing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

"Cat Killer" Childs made some additional improvements in his ITA Neon with getting into the 46's... now he just needs to get that added power he was talking about + make the thing turn (ala Greg Amy style... damn Macpherson's) and he'll be right up there with us!

[/b]
    I would have been closer to you guys in the race, had it not been for being held up behind the #17 ITS BMW for the whole race. I ended up running his lap times. I could not figure out how my Neon was faster than a BMW through the twisties. He would pull ten cars on me down the back straight and I would be on his bumper at Madness? He would pull about five cars on me on the front straight and I would be right on him going into the Keyhole!?

Well there shoudn't be any pesky ITS cars to contend with in August........
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

I would like to thank everyone in Group 8 for watching out for me this weekend. I know it didn't look like it, but I had a blast. Got two finishes (running at the end both times) which is a big improvement over last year. Now I can start work on car and driver improvement.

The car has progressed to the point where I am experiencing normal (from what I have been told) Charger symptoms - understeer and carburator starving in right-handers. Very little power getting off the corners is not good. But I have had some suggestions, and will work on those issues before August. Probably see some testing before hand (don't know how I'm going to get them to let me run clockwise at Columbus Motor Speedway!!!!).

Anyway, got to meet some new faces and put them with names, and even some new names.

Only had one 'incident', at turn eight. Saw you coming, pointed right, saw a car in my right mirror, so I took my normal line to the apex, only to find another car had decided to go to my left. Thank you for missing me but.... Didn't think you could pick up my voice on the video over the engine!!!!!

Looking forward to the hill in Aaugust.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com