Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annual Inspections

If I understand the GCR correctly, annual tech inspections of the race car, and annual medical exams (for old farts like me ) are good for 12 months beginning the date of said inspection/exam. Specifically - if an annual vehicle inspection and a medical exam were done in July of 2006, I'm good-to-go on both, at least through June of 2007, correct?

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Car is a season/season thing, so yes it needs Tech.

W/O knowing if you have a renewed Comp Lic can't say for you............

I could be wrong since I don't have a GCR in front of me, but I think the annual car tech inspection has to be done each "season". So, if you had an annual tech on your car any time in 2006, you need one again in 2007 before you run a race.
    The medical exams are on a calendar basis. They are needed to renew your license which can be any month of the year.
    Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23
    www.rpperformanceracing.com

5.9.2. Inspecting Automobiles
    A. Annual Inspection
    A full and complete Technical and Safety Inspection shall be performed
    by a Licensed Scrutineer (Divisional/National) on each car once a year
    (12 months).

<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE(22timber @ Mar 31 2007, 08:56 AM) [snapback]109552[/snapback]</div><div class=\'quotemain\'> I could be wrong since I don&#39;t have a GCR in front of me, but I think the annual car tech inspection has to be done each "season". So, if you had an annual tech on your car any time in 2006, you need one again in 2007 before you run a race.
    The medical exams are on a calendar basis. They are needed to renew your license which can be any month of the year. [/b][/quote]

Ya see, no disrepect intended here, but I already read the GCR... that&#39;s why I&#39;m asking the question.

The GCR passage does not say it must be done once per year at the beginning of the year, nor does it say the inspection is good only for the calendar year in which the car was inspected. It simply states the inspection must be done once per year (12 months), with absolutely no other qualifications. FWIW, my read of the parenthetical tag is to actually allow 12 months between inspections. Otherwise, why is it there... to tell us how many months are in a year?

Now... if that&#39;s the way we do it (prior to each season) and that&#39;s the way it&#39;s always been, I guess I&#39;m fine with that. But that isn&#39;t what the GCR says.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

The GCR comes out for each calendar year.... I believe they want to inspect to the current GCR for that year...... just another fuzzy wording in the GCR........

According to my tech guy it is now 12 months from the last inspection. June to May, October to September, or what ever. No seasons, 12 calender months.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

According to my tech guy it is now 12 months from the last inspection. June to May, October to September, or what ever. No seasons, 12 calender months.
    [/b]
    Well, that would mean someone could track a car legal to 2006 but not 2007 within 2007......... doesn&#39;t sound right.

Well, that would mean someone could track a car legal to 2006 but not 2007 within 2007......... doesn&#39;t sound right.
    [/b]
    It&#39;s up to the competitor to meet the GCR at all times, not just when it gets inspected. By the above logic, we&#39;d need to reinspect monthly because of Fastrack updates.

The 12 month instead of an annual is new this year and has been talked about pro and con for a couple of years. There is a lot of pressure at the first few events of the year and the thought is that annual tech may have been a little rushed. Because belt expiration is calendar they added to the gcr that Belt date must be recorded in the log book as well so if you had to change belts you may have to run by tech for the first event of the year to have that updated even if your annual tech is not due.

When this rule change came about I assumed that everyone would need a annual tech at the beginning of 2007 and then it would be good for 12 months but now I wonder if a say September 2006 annual is good until September 2007. The good book does not say it does not but a tech done in 2006 would not have the belt notation.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

It&#39;s up to the competitor to meet the GCR at all times, not just when it gets inspected. By the above logic, we&#39;d need to reinspect monthly because of Fastrack updates.
    [/b]
    Your logic is sound......... I never recall seeing the revision to annual vs yearly or however we want to differentiate it. How often does a Fast Track notice become effective within a year? I have typically seen them be effective the following year.

The 12 month instead of an annual is new this year and has been talked about pro and con for a couple of years. There is a lot of pressure at the first few events of the year and the thought is that annual tech may have been a little rushed.[/b]
    I knew I should have checked last year&#39;s GCR! If I had compared the old and new paragraphs, I probably wouldn&#39;t have even asked the question... the intent is obvious once you&#39;ve seen both.

One of my problems is that despite the fact I&#39;ve had SCCA competition licenses on 2 previous occasions, I never had the opportunity to renew them due to job related transfers to overseas locations coming at exactly the wrong time. So I&#39;m plowing new ground this year by going through all of the renewal & reinspection stuff for the first time.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

Rule #1: If you ask the Tech Inspector to also do your Race Medical exam...find the Tech Inspector with the greasiest hands.

How often does a Fast Track notice become effective within a year? I have typically seen them be effective the following year.
    [/b]
    Big changes are usually phased in slowly (except for SIR&#39;s in IT!!!!), normally at the first of the year. But quite a few upates are effective with about 10 days notice every month. From the April Fastrack (posted 3/20/07): "All changes are effective 4/1/07 unless otherwise noted".

Gary, I&#39;m not sure if it is any different over there in the west Midwest Div. but over here in the Mid-South Region an Annual Tech is absolutely on a season-by-season basis. I.e. if you come over here for our 5/26-27 event (and we hope you will) w/ that 7/06 Annual, you will not be allowed to race. [unless we are overruled by the C.S.]
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

If I read the rule correctly it does state 12 months and not a reference to calender year or season. See I did my first school in October and had my cars annual done at that time. All was well and used for the two day Glen school. With some new issues on hand at the home front what would have been a dedicated race year for me has now been reduced to what ever weekends I can squeeze in. I have to take care of the give before I can take as the wifey states.

So I was going to get to a Tech party this coming weekend, but if my annual is good I can pass, finish up one bathroom and sqeek a track day in June instead.

So what is the general consensus are we good for the twelve months in between or do we use calender years?

Terry
    #99 85 GTI (hopefully this year)

As I read the GCR, your vehicle annual is good for 12 months from the date of the last annual. Unlike driver&#39;s physicals which must be done annually (if you are my age) and accompany your license renewal and must be performed less than 3 months from the date of the application.

But with regards to the vehicle inspection, I believe that you are still required to have your car up to spec according to the latest GCR and/or Fastrack.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I think this is one of those issues that not only varies by region but also where you are in your region. Cal-Club has an anual tech party in mid January. I missed that because my cage doesn&#39;t have the two passenger side door bars yet. So far I&#39;ve not had an annual performed on my car, I have to roll it up to the tech trailer each time I race to have the tech guys give my a sticker. Once while haging out in the tech trailer I over heard a steward from Las Vegas state that he would perform an annual on any car in the Vegas area by driving up to see it. In contrast, I was able to get an annual for BMW club by going to BMS Performance in Santa Anna, with a pre-schedualed appointment.

So with Cal-Club (out side of Las Vegas ) you miss the once a year tech party your SOL for an annual and have to go to tech before each event. With BMW Club I called Chris Welch at BMS made an appointment and drove 4hrs across the LA basin and 6hrs in traffic to get back. What&#39;s the annual get you besides a smoother check in and not having to wait in line for the tech trailer before you run?

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

So what is the general consensus are we good for the twelve months in between or do we use calender years?

Terry
    #99 85 GTI (hopefully this year)
    [/b]

Terry-

Good for 12 months, if it is an issue when you get to the event I am sure tech would be more than happy to give the annual at the first event that you attend...

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Had my annual tech performed this weekend at our open house and asked about this.

I confirmed that this is a new rule for 2007 and that it is for 12 months. They do record the belt dates when they stamp your log book for the annual, so if the belts expire before your annual tech does, then you would have to present your car with new belts to tech for review, but all they should be checking is the belt dates.

The example I asked about was if my annual tech (perfomed April 1, 2007) was still valid if I wanted to play &#39;snowbird&#39; in January of 2008 and go race down in Florida or Arizona. I was told that my annual was still valid for that event, but would have to present my car to have the belts inspected, since they expire at the end of this year.

Sounds like Cal-Club or Mid-South are not very &#39;Member Friendly&#39;.
    2002 Cen-Div ITC Champ
    (Converted to G-Prod in 2003)
    (Bumped to H-Prod in 2008)
    2008, 2011 HP Cen-Div Champ
    2011 HP National Champ