Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heel and Toe Downshifting

Critique is welcome!![/b]
    Only thing I could "critique" is the hand shuffling, especially when it didn't seem necessary. It's just one of my pet peeves and 9 and 3 seem to work so well.
    I have no idea which track, but I like your choice of platforms

Over the years I have tried and tried to get good at Heal & Toe to no avail
    I don't know if it's the pedal layout in the cars I have had or if I am just a total Smeghead!

On my street car I have done a major upgrade to the brakes and I just use them as Dave does.
    I'll just slip it into the right gear for that turn and off I go. I wish I could master H&T but I just don't see that happening....sigh....

~Brian

If any of you want to see some good heel toe action go rent the 60's movie Grand Prix with James Garner. There is a scene of them racing at monaco with lots of heel toe footage! won some oscars to!

I dont heel and toe or match revs...just downshift.
    I realize this will probably wear out the synchros quicker. But havent had a problem yet.

I also skip gears downshifting, going from 4th to 2nd very often (never use 5th...gearing is really high on my car).

Me thinks it would take many, many years to learn how to h&t while still maintaining threshold braking. I'm on the brakes so hard, for so short of a time...it would be tough to do anything else other then downshift, without sacrificing my braking.

I also use carbotechs, and I dont usually get beat in the braking zone
    "Entropy sucks"

Only thing I could "critique" is the hand shuffling, especially when it didn't seem necessary. It's just one of my pet peeves and 9 and 3 seem to work so well.
    [/b]
    It's true. I've experimented with small-shuffles, no shuffle-but preload brefore turning in, and with complete fixed hand position. The only one I really didn't like was small shuffles. You were moving your hands like mad for something the other methods accomplished easily. It also made it hard to be smooth.

I think in the video I'm doing preload (that's what I call it anyway). I honestly don't know if I do it now or not. I'll have to look at newer video.

I expect hand position and steering technique is a whole new thread!

I also skip gears downshifting, going from 4th to 2nd very often (never use 5th...gearing is really high on my car).
    [/b]
    I do the same. And I won't say I've never been outbraked, but my feeble mind can't concentrate on max braking AND breathing (let alone shifting). So I brake hard, and right before turn-in is when I do the heel-toe revmatch and into the correct gear. So one shift (max) for any turn entry. My skips are usually 5->3 (with the crazy rear end ratio I have).

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX

Heel & Toe?--I like doing it in my street car, but the pedal layout in the race car makes it impossible.

Just turn up the idle.

I basically only have two gears on the track (3rd and 4th) so there is no "skipping".

The classic place for a heel-toe would be turn three at Laguna-Seca. Turn three is a mid speed turn that's entered just a little too hot to make it through. I scrub off speed and shift it down a gear in the first third of the turn, hit the apex on the gas.

Now turn four is a great place to left foot brake.

How I'm going to miss running there this season

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter