Thread: Roebling Road - Hotel or Camp at the Track?

I'm entered in the April Regional at Roebling Road. I've never raced there, and am considering camping at the track. Roebling's website says they have hot showers and water and power hookups. Is the camping area in conjunction with the paddock, or is it a separate area? Are the showers really hot? Do freight trains running on some nearby track keep you awake all night, or are there any other irritating noise generators nearby that would prevent a good night's sleep? Any info would be appreciated.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

David,
    Roebling is one of the easiest tracks to camp. The whole infield is the paddock as well as a camping area. You can camp by your car. There are lots of trees there as well for sun exposure if you get there early. They have two shower areas that are nice and yes there is good hot water. I usually camp there when at Roebling.
    ITA 78 Sentra SE-R

If there's any threat of rain, pick a high spot. Otherwise, RR looks more like a campground than a race track.

Do they have the ant problem that CMP does?

K

Ants! That's a Sebring problem. Every time it rains, whole colonies of fire ants are set afloat, landing on whoevers feet happen to be slogging past at the time.

What about mosquitoes? Big as birds? Have to beat them off with baseball bats?
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

Camping is excellent at RR. Do bring insect repellent...mosquitoes are not quite so bad, but the no-see-ums can be terrible. High spot??? The high spots will be about 4" above the low spots anywhere near the bath rooms. There is adequate power so generators are generally not a problem. See you there. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Pay attention to the times when race motors are allowed to be run. There is a $100 fine for not following the rules......

Pay attention to the times when race motors are allowed to be run. There is a $100 fine for not following the rules......
    [/b]
    Yeah, I saw that. I think it's just on Sunday, but I'll double check.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

David, it's both days actually (ask me how I know). RR is in the middle of a neighborhood and sound is a big issue there.

I've spent a lot of time at RR. Some thoughts on camping:

1. If you get there early, get a spot under the shade trees in the turn 1-2-3 area of the paddock. It is straight ahead and to the left when you turn in. Insects are not so bad there and teh shade makes a BIG difference. The "back paddock" field is hot and buggy.

2. The nicest showers are at Turn 5, the ones at the food stand are small, old and kind of crappy.

3. The quirk to Roebling Road is that you are landlocked once you get in. You can only get out between sessions. Just be sure to plan around that if you need gas (right up the street), food, etc.

I usually don't camp there because hotels in Pooler are relatively inexpensive ($70 or so), but Roebling is probably not too bad a place to do so. yes, they have ants, but I think that is mostly in the grassy back paddock area.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

As people have said, Roebling is an all grass paddock/infield other than the roads. The whole thing probably was a pasture at some point in that past. It's pretty sandy like CMP. Definitely find a high spot if you're going to camp. We were in a low spot once and wound up in a lake when it poured. That was a pretty big thunderstorm, though, and things do drain quickly. Getting in and out is a pain while the track is running, but once things shut down it's not a problem. Food at the track grill is actually pretty good and not badly priced (unlike RA).

We found that the hotels one exit up from Pooler were a little better if you stay in a hotel. There's a four lane highway that runs from that exit down to the road to Roebling so you don't have to go through Pooler at all.

Don't think I'm going to make this race. Probably will wind up doing CMP memorial day weekend.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

David..was watching your youtube stuff this morning. Wish it was longer. I will be at RR myself. I have a budget hotel reservation while still considering sleeping in my F-250 and saving the money.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion