Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hondata for 89-91 CRX/Civic?

I found this on the web, but I ain't got a lot of smarts on ECU's ... anybody know anything about this company http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~mdkeena/ecu/
    [/b]
    check this forum for people selling the modified ECU's:
    http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewforum.php?f=3

i never heard of that person but modifing the ECU to allow for chip swapping and datalogging is fairly easy

I know the chap that runs it - Mike Keena....he knows muchos about tuning Hondas. I actually didn't realise he did this until racerman50 told me in an earlier post. Sent Mike an email, hoping to hear soon. Will post results.
    [/b]
    The only way you could get the Hondata system to work on a OBD-0 CRX is by replacing the stock PM6 ecu with a PR3 or PW0 ecu. The PR3 and PW0 came from the JDM versions of the CRX that came with the B16A engine. The only differences between the two engines would be the VTEC module and the additional camshaft. It is possible to run the D16A6 off the PR3/PW0 ECU but you have to turn off the VTEC, turn off the knock sensor, and mofiy the timing and fuel curves, which one would do to tune the car anway. I dont know how legal this would be since your replacing the ECU with a JDM version, but its not any benefit then to programming using the stock PM6.

check this forum for people selling the modified ECU's:
    http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewforum.php?f=3

i never heard of that person but modifing the ECU to allow for chip swapping and datalogging is fairly easy
    The only way you could get the Hondata system to work on a OBD-0 CRX is by replacing the stock PM6 ecu with a PR3 or PW0 ecu. The PR3 and PW0 came from the JDM versions of the CRX that came with the B16A engine. The only differences between the two engines would be the VTEC module and the additional camshaft. It is possible to run the D16A6 off the PR3/PW0 ECU but you have to turn off the VTEC, turn off the knock sensor, and mofiy the timing and fuel curves, which one would do to tune the car anway. I dont know how legal this would be since your replacing the ECU with a JDM version, but its not any benefit then to programming using the stock PM6.
    [/b]

Once you change the ECU to the JDM type you throw being legal right out of the window! I haven't kept up on the issue of ECU's on this forum. Are the powers to be close to a decision on this issue. I'm not about to go spend money without a solid ruling from them. Tell me if I got this figured out right... if they ruled that any ECU and harness may be used, us OBD0 guys are still out of luck because of our dizzy... correct??

Yes, you would need to swap out the dizzy for an OBD1 model. I personally dont see any real benefit if they do rule the ability to swap ecu's and/or harnesses for any or all OBD0 honda/acura. The ability to tune the ECU is already there and adding anything else isnt going to get you much more since your still working with a stock cam(s).

Well it didn't go into details in the ad, and I was too questioning the legality - the seller claimed to have set 2 track records in first year of racing....

anyway, thanks for the info. so basically, for the civic/crx platform there are limited options....reflash? Custom chip?

I see you guys have early integras - I just bought one, it will be a race car later this year but only after I finish the rebuild my wrecked SM and get the engine back in my ITA Civic. Both will be up for sale soon. Then I will be concentrating on the integra - I may need to pick your grey matter on a few things regarding the 'teg.......

Cheers, Mark
    [/b]
    I'm just an autocrosser with an interest in IT so I apologize in advance for any wrong assumptions. Sounds like IT is similar to the Street Touring autox classes, ie. any computer that will fit in the stock box. If that is the correct a good choice might be http://www.zdyne.com/ . They originally went for around $1000 but the price is down to $600 new, and they pop up from time to time on forums as low as $300. Just a thought.
    Scott Sawyer
    1989 Honda CRX Si,STS2 23
    http://www.teamunderdog.com

Is there anyone out there that can do anything with the 88-91 1.5L DPFI Civic? I'm not looking for much, just a rev limiter extension.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Is there anyone out there that can do anything with the 88-91 1.5L DPFI Civic? I'm not looking for much, just a rev limiter extension.
    [/b]

You can chip a PM5. It's DIY venture though. Take a look at the link below regarding the DPFI ECU. PGMFI.org is the greatest source of info on Honda ECUs and all the steps necessary to mod them.

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/PM5

I saw the same add in SportsCar... red CRX built by OPM. I remeber seeing this car as a multi-month magazine article when it was being built. I emailed Hondata regarding this and they told me it would not be possible without changing to OBDI. So I don't know how OPM did it legally, would love to know if someone from there shop is on this board!
    [/b]
    I think this was already answered but it was done legally via a no longer available Hondata. I talked with Fowler at length about this option for my car vs. Zdyne. Ultimately neither option is ideal (the Hondata is no longer supported or sold so if it breaks you're SOL and the Zdyne loses RPM resolution at RPM's increase and isn't as "good" for tuning as the previous Hondata)

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

OK, thanks for clearing that one up Christian.

So which route did you decide to take?

Cheers, Mark
    90 ITA Civic - nearly complete
    91 Integra x 2 - TBD
    93 MR2 turbo
    03 Duramax
    08 MS3

OK, thanks for clearing that one up Christian.[/b]
    Glad to

So which route did you decide to take?

Cheers, Mark
    [/b]
    Wellllll... after long and hard thought I decided on neither. I also looked into some of the DIY options and passed on them too. At this point for this car, I'm not sold on an ECU being on the right side of the dollarsower ratio. For my instance I was looking at maybe a 2 or 3whp improvement for something on the order of a $1000 investment (including tuning). B/C of this I've decided to wait and see which way the ECU rule goes and then revisit the question... YMMV

Christian, who thinks $1000 in data aquisition would probably end up yielding faster lap times than an ECU...
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Like Christian, we have our cars prepped by OPM and when we went with the ECU, we found out that the Hondata was no longer available so we did go with the ZDyne. We gained maybe 2hp with it.
    Chad Z
    #46 ITA