Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NISMO Z Header - any count?

I could be convinced to build another header, but they aren't cheap that way. There is about $200. in materials by the time you do the collectors, O2 sensor bungs, flange, and the tubing. Throw in the labor and coating, and it can get scary. Also it would be late summer at the earliest as I have to finish my current project and then get my car ready for Lowes. I just signed up for a training class at work the week before Lowes!!!! Had to do it. Let me know what you are interested in.

Mike

Hey, those drums did the job for me! Beggers can't be chosers. I'll save the header for you. It's old but probably just what the doctor ordered for someone on a budget.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Hey, those drums did the job for me! Beggers can't be chosers. I'll save the header for you. It's old but probably just what the doctor ordered for someone on a budget.
    [/b]
    Save those drums up too, they are good spares as you learned! Thanks for keeping the header around. If you go to Roebling and have space bring it with and we'll work out an exchange.

R

but I know I frustrated some SRF's at VIR last fall due to a slow driver and a rocket ship on the straights.
    [/b]
    That is perfect, they need to be frustrated from time to time! Maybe the regions will all finally figure out SMs should go with SRFs, and ITA and ITS need to be elsewhere. Being a non-top 10 driver myself I end up in the pack of those things most times.

R

[attachmentid=895]Here's the pix of the new header. Pic #1 is the Sam Neave header. I'll have to put the NISMO header in another post.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Here is a pic of Sam's header from his website.

[attachmentid=896]

Apparantly I can't get the other pic up. I'll work on it......

OK... Try this http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/parrish240z/...m?.dir=/9db4re2
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Thanks STeve. Let me talk to our new 260 guy and see if he wants this (I suspect he does). Have you and Ron discussed price?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Cool, thanks for that. Sam's is a good piece and I want one, but it'll need to wait until I do some other suspension bits to the car.

My header doesn't look like any of those. I don't know what in the heck I've got, some sort of Atlanta creation since the car came from that region. I won't complain about power though since I can't use what I have at the moment.

R

"OK... Try this http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/parrish240z/...=/9db4re2"

That old header is the NISMO Comp.

"My header doesn't look like any of those. I don't know what in the heck I've got, some sort of Atlanta creation since the car came from that region. '

Whose car was it? I might know that header.

katman

Katman,

It was red when first built in 1992, it was silver when we got it in 2005. Chuck Newman was the original builder. It has been owned by:

Joe Kent, 93
    Shawn McLaughlon, 95
    Jim Dunn, 99
    Ron Earp/Jeff Young, 05 - on

we've got some times for it around here at Road Atlanta, somewhere in the paperwork we have. Seems some 1:44s are in there somewhere.

It has some pretty good attention to detail and a TON of notes with it. Anything you can provide on history would be good. It used to have a pretty hot motor apparently, at least according to those dyno notes, but before we got it a freshly rebuilt motor was put in that is sort of average I'd say. A Z carb guy of fame, Radcliffe (spelling) did the carbs, got notes on that.

Car was setup sort of odd. It had a droop limiter on the right hand side attached to the body and to the sway bar. I think it was too short. The car would push like you wouldn't believe in a right hand turn, but not in a left. Took me awhile to locate that steel cable and I think what it was doing is when the car rolled left it made the cable tight and limited suspension travel. At any rate, I cut the cable and the problem went away!

R

Ron,
    Post pictures of the old header you have. I'll dig up some pics of mine.

Attached is the header in my first car, after it met a wall. I might have some
    better pics somewhere else. It was a Sunbelt motor with E31 head but I don't
    know whose header.

And where exactly was this cable hooked up? Right front? Right rear?
    Are you even running a rear bar. (I don't)

Tom

(Well the system isn't letting me add an attachment, I'll have to scale it down)

Hey Tom,

My header is on the car and darn hard to get pictures of because of a wrap and blanket on it. But, I will try and get some pics. Would like to see yours as well.

The car had that "droop limiter" on the front. I don't have a rear bar and don't intend to have one. I like the handling right now, it is loose in the rear, turns in ok (I'd like it to turn in better), but I think we need some stiffer springs all around. It seems to have what I'd consider an excessive amount of body roll.

To put it in perspective it rolls a LOT more than Steve P's Z. I'd like it to get close to his setup for "flatness" and then see where the handling is at that point.

R

"It was red when first built in 1992, it was silver when we got it in 2005. Chuck Newman was the original builder. It has been owned by:

Joe Kent, 93
    Shawn McLaughlon, 95
    Jim Dunn, 99
    Ron Earp/Jeff Young, 05 - on

we've got some times for it around here at Road Atlanta, somewhere in the paperwork we have. Seems some 1:44s are in there somewhere."

Let's see, June 7, 1997, Shawn McLaughlin, 1:44.631 Qualifying Road Atlanta Pro-IT. Chet Wittel: 1:37.657, new lap record. That would have been the old track configuration I think. God I miss it.

I remember Chuck but only vaguely remember the car so no joy on the header ID. Eddie Radatz is probably who you're thinking of for the carb setup. He's still around. Let me know next time you're at RA- it'll be good to see a 260Z back in the hunt.
    katman

Looks like the car and driver were quite a bit off record! But with ya'lls car and driver it'd be hard to get close to you for anyone I'm sure. Wish I would have been around to see your Z run on track but you guys quit driving it a bit before I started.

Ours has a lot of work to be done to it. No offense to the prevoous owners/builders, but the entire car was wired with no fuses or circuit breakers and I'm not a big fan of that. It also has a rather small gauge battery/ground wires with long runs. So yesterday I tore all of that out and am building a new system in with circuit breaker panel, switches, etc. Since I've been chasing electrical gremlins at every track event this year it is time to renovate that part of the car.

Eddie Radatz is the guy that did the notes on the carbs with respect to setup. They seem to work well. They're really rich at idle but run like stink above 4200 RPM. Given the list of things that need to be tweaked on the car the carbs come in lower on the list than suspension etc.
    R

If you get those 260 carbs to idle with a good mixture it will detonate and blow up really spectacularly! Don't ask me why I know that, but I do know that!

Mike

also only use wide band o2 sensors. The regular automotive ones will lie to you and help you to kill your engine. Same deal, don't ask!

M