Thread: Racin' is Rubbing, or Is It?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Remember that Enduro that Dale Earnhardt Jr ran in the C5-R when it caught on fire?

I remember the broadcaster saying something funny but true: "You know how you can tell if the driver is the car owner? Wheather or not he looks at the car over his shoulder while walking away when it is on fire."

Most of these Pro drivers don't own the cars they are driving. The ones that do rarely run up front. Only a few drivers actually get paid to race, some get free rides and a few foot the bill themselves. The first two categories are the guys who can REALLY drive and WILL.

It's about the culture of the racing organization. The higher you go, the more contact because the stakes are higher. I think JPM's 'pass' was TOTAL BS and should have been fined internally from his team. The P-Car/Ferrari stuff is typical to most Pro events. You know how we all say BTCC is/was some of the best racing on TV? You think it would be without the contact? I like to watch it but don't consider either of those wins to be 'wins'. YMMV.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

It's about the culture of the racing organization.[/b]
    That's the bottom line. It becomes a matter of what is allowed and expected. There are certain oval track series in England where drivers are expected to punt the opposition off the track. No one bothers with set up; they just get bigger bumpers.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com