Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITB Track record at LRP

yikes, I am not sure if it is sarcasm or real... I will assume that it is sarcasm cause I am not crying!!! lol...

And on for the rest...

Andy, I never mentioned ITC above cause you are right, that class also hasn't changed much over the years either.

As for ITB, the Honda's were in ITB when I started, I wasn't worried then and I am not now!!! lol Joking a little ... Yes I do think that a Honda will be quick, but I am not sure about low 1:03's at Lime Rock, unless it is a total 100% effort, phil how about getting P Keenes car for a race or two... maybe the IT Festival!!!

The track is slower!!! yay, my new excuse but from 1996 I don't care how much slower the track is technology has changed a million times over. The cars and drivers that ran in 1996 were in their prime. Knowone will argue that Rick isn't a great driver, as with curran and carlson when those Volvo's were not so worn out. Knowone has been able to match the package that was presented 10yrs ago, it is an impressive accomplishment to say the least for all those drivers who were in the 3's.

As for my comment on stability... It isn't an insult and I don't expect it to stick around ITB either. I am trying to remember 1996, and a lot has changed (I was just graduating high School ), didn't MR2's run at the front of the ITA fields back in that era? And no it wasn't because of prep level, it was cause those were the cars to have. A lot has changed and while I think it is for the better of the entire field, I do think for someone like me who would like to run up front on a budget I made the right choice (by pure luck) running ITB rather than ITA or ITS. I also will admit those that are running ITA and ITS at the front have brought a completely new level to IT in general in the past few years... sorta reminds me of the level that people such as Rick brought to ITB back in 1996 - An all out professional level of competition.

Raymond "still not sure when I cryed, or what we are debating" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I also will admit those that are running ITA and ITS at the front have brought a completely new level to IT in general in the past few years... sorta reminds me of the level that people such as Rick brought to ITB back in 1996 - An all out professional level of competition.
    [/b]
    So is it reasonable to assume that you are telling us that the level of prep and professionalism for ITB in NER was at it's peak in the mid-late 90's? If that is the case, what would you then attribute the lack of a broken record? The track? I think you answered that question already. I wonder what Eric Curren could do in Paul's new Volvo with a seasons worth of testing and a day like we had at the 2006 NARRC Runoffs. Don't you? I am confident that if someone infused $10K into your program you would go faster.

ITB is a great class in NER for sure, and if I could find a competitive RWD chassis, I would be in that class as well. Fire Arrow anyone?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

After thinking over the night I have come to the conclusion that..

1) I think that the track is slower
    2) While technology is A LOT better these days, you can only make a 1970's and early 80's era car (ex: volvo) go so fast
    3) Newer cars that benefit more from technology are or have not been classed till very recently.
    4) People are not spending the $$$ to run ITB... Some have, but maybe don't have the complete package, including driving, testing, and time to invest.

#4 is what makes the class attractive IMO, as I think anyone who wants to enter can reasonably expect to stand a chance at developing something that will run up front. I think you will see some fast Hondas, the new A3's and/or maybe a Mini or two... Time will tell!!! Till then everyone up front brings together their resources in completely different ways, making the entire season very interesting. This year it will be very interesting to see how the points work out.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

With the previous car classifications, it’s easy to see why the ITA & ITS records are much more recent. After speaking with Rick and others who are Lime Rock Gurus, I have become convinced that the track is slower now even with the better tire technology. Or maybe I just convinced myself to believe that. ITC – for one thing, there really are not too many cars that run in that class. What was the previous record? Is it just that the old record wasn’t what it should have been? There are other reasons I can also think may attribute to this as well.

pay attention to the HONDAS, they're going to eat you for lunch if only reasonably prepared and driven.[/b]
    Now that’s a crock of s@#$. There are several cars that can do very well in ITB. Volvos, Alphas, the Golf III, the Rabbit that just got a weight break, Audi, and more. IMO, the real cars to have right now in ITB are the Audis and Golf III. The biggest issue I see with the Audis seems to be finding parts. The Audi might not be the car to have at LRP, but get it to a track where power is more important… I will say that the Hondas can also run at the front, but certainly won’t dominate at least due to the car itself. LOL

New motor, final drive, custom header, air intake, ISAAC head & neck restraint (so I don’t die when I start pushing even harder), working on car set-up & will even buy a tire pyrometer, and a few other goodies. Hmmm, maybe you should be afraid. In reality, the way things seem to go I won’t be any faster but at least I’m trying.

I also don’t buy that Carlson’s car was at it’s peak 10 years ago. Based on my conversations with him, he has continued his development program and found new ways to improve upon his car since then. Have you seen Paul’s Volvo? That thing looks like it did when it came off the showroom floor. It’ll be faster this year. I’m also a little nervous of Jim now that he’s back. There’s a long list.

Low 1:03s in an ITB car is crazy fast. I can’t even imagine it, but who knows if someone will be able to break it in the next few years. I just want the ITB Palmer track record!!!

Andy, I also wonder what Curren could do in YOUR Miata at LRP given a test day or two.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

:026: Save ITB, allow the Miatas
    Jerry
    NER South

:026: Save ITB, allow the Miatas
    [/b]

I have been looking for a reason to get a ummm Miata, maybe that will be the solution!!! lol

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Raymond, you won't know what do do with all of your new spare time........ dave

[/quote]

Dave,
    The old ITC record was 1:05:3. A friend of mine was running very close to this time in his Rabbit . And when we broke this record , we had a new set of Hoosiers on. I think it was the 04's ,which correct me if I am wrong, alot of track records fell when these tires first came out. Plus we went to a taller/wider tire, and this helped out by knocking down the RPM's a little bit.

And I was behind 2 Miata's getting a very good tow... and I mean i was looking thru their window for the Turn 1 Brake point

John VanDenburgh
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

Miatas are not the enemy, trust me.....dave

Save this post....

I truelly beleive the ITB Track Record will get broken this year.

There are to many top contendenders that have the potential to do it. I beleive several cars will get to the 3's this year. The track may be slower but technology is so much better with shocks and struts, tires, and everything else that goes into it. Back in 96 we didn't have transponders that would make up the tenths and thousands we have today in accuracy. If I can get within a few tenths of the track record in my Audi than I am sure some of the other top dogs will get there! It's definetly within reach.

Stephen # 50 ITB Audi Coupe
    If it doesn't I will be forced to come back and race in ITB in 2008 to do it myself and i will publicly say sorry I was wrong! (This is assuming we don't get all Rain races!)