Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITB Track record at LRP

In doing some reseach for a proposal, it seems as if the ITB track records are a little messed up. Current record on file is (from multiple sources) Shane Hawthorne with a 1:02.018. We all know that car is an ITA CRX - the one that was torn down and found non-compliant.

Who holds it, when was it broken and in what car? Isn't this one a Curren record in a Volvo?

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think Rick Polcock (sp?) has it, but don't know what it is. phil

The chief of registration for each if the regions that race at Lime Rock have the official information.
    Contact Denise.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

That is what I am saying Dick. The info from the top is wrong WRT ITB and T3 - and that is all I am familiar with.
    Andy Bettencourt

The track record is in the 1:03s. I know Rick Pocock (I believe is how it is spelled) was the record holder a couple of years ago, and do not believe it has changed. I also spoke with Rick about his record; he was quite humble about it and said it was done fairly soon after LRP was repaved. Yeah, that long ago. LOL! Tire technology has changed a lot since then and it would be interesting to compare the benefits between newer track surface and the tires we're using now. If the regions do not have this information, you can contact Rick through Ian Prout at www.SCDA1.com . Rick often does their classroom instruction.

Proposal? Soooo....
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I think Rick's best lap at LRP was: ITB 1:03.314 - Rick Pocock Alfa Romeo

But, it was a long time ago, and all other IT records have fallen, so I've been suspect of that number, but it's the only one I'm aware of.

For the record, it's Bettencourt in A, and Leverone in S, right? But who's got it in C? VanDenburgh?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

This is how the official records look:
    ITS 1:00.813 Leverone 2004
    ITA 1:01.453 Bettencourt 2006
    ITB 1:02.018 Hawthorn 2004
    ITC 1:04.875 VanDenburgh 2004
    Interestingly, they have this record superceeding the 'old' ITB record of 1:02.994 by Gordon Cooper in an BMW 325...well we know that to be wrong as well because Gordon drove in ITS - and there are no 325's in ITB IIRC. I do think it's Rick Pocock...just have to find the documentation. So the ITB record needs research.
    Andy Bettencourt

Andy-

I think it is Rick from back around 2000 +/- a year or so. Only a handful at best have goten into the 3's at Lime Rock in ITB. Multiple people including ourselves have been around a 1:04 flat, but not into the 3's on a great day. As of the last couple years though it has been a fight to get into the 4's in an ITB car. ITC cars over the past few years seem to be just as fast by carying enough speed through the turns to cary them down the streight.

Raymond "When we have this little HP, its all about the turns" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

This is how the official records look:
    ITS 1:00.813 Leverone 2004
    ITA 1:01.453 Bettencourt 2006
    ITB 1:03.314 Pocock 1996
    ITC 1:04.875 VanDenburgh 2004
    [/b]
    And we now have it. Thanks!

Andy Bettencourt

And we now have it. Thanks!
    [/b]

Wow 1996... That is a lot older than I thought, and people say that classes don't get slower

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Wow 1996... That is a lot older than I thought, and people say that classes don't get slower

Raymond [/b]
    Classes don't get slower...just drivers!

Seriously, that is a pretty fast time for ITB. Maybe it's time to build a B car...or rent Rick's Civic...or Alan's Coupe...

I would think that ITB and ITC records would be harder to come by that ITS and ITA in NER because you guys are always fighting 'faster but slower' traffic.
    Andy Bettencourt

Classes don't get slower...just drivers!

Seriously, that is a pretty fast time for ITB. Maybe it's time to build a B car...or rent Rick's Civic...or Alan's Coupe...
    [/b]

LOL, Andy we know you are a star but I got $20 that says even with your driving you wont get that record with any current ITB cars in the Northeast

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I believe that Pocock broke set the track record in the GTV not the Spider. If I recal the Spider was slower.
    Sam Rolfe
    TBR Motorsports
    #85 LPHP Scirocco

Rick just answered an e-mail from me. I hope he doesn't mind me posting this:

...Our existing track record was set during the NARRC Runoffs on October 12, 1996, back when the track was much smoother and therefore much faster. Anyway, that was a great race among Scott Carlson in his 142E, Gary Engstrom in his 2002, and me in my Alfa Romeo Spider. I led most of the laps, but a failing alternator ultimately affected the ignition, and I fell to third place just before the checker fell. Scott took the victory and Gary finished in second place.[/b]
    AWESOME! Thanks Rick.

Andy Bettencourt

Andy-

It might be an interesting conversation to have with Scott to see why the volvo is a bit slower than it was in the old days... I think overall the ITB field has slowed progresively over the past 6 or so years at both NHIS and Lime Rock. Maybe the cars are all getting a bit tired (I know the drivers are not ), or maybe we are all making things more difficult. One thing is for sure, unlike ITA or ITS the cars getting classed are not faster then the current or past top dogs... IMO this makes the class a bit more stable and a better investment. I know our cars are maybe .5 seconds slower than they used to be for an individual lap, however they last the entire race so overall they are faster.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Andy-

It might be an interesting conversation to have with Scott to see why the volvo is a bit slower than it was in the old days... I think overall the ITB field has slowed progresively over the past 6 or so years at both NHIS and Lime Rock. Maybe the cars are all getting a bit tired (I know the drivers are not ), or maybe we are all making things more difficult. One thing is for sure, unlike ITA or ITS the cars getting classed are not faster then the current or past top dogs... IMO this makes the class a bit more stable and a better investment. I know our cars are maybe .5 seconds slower than they used to be for an individual lap, however they last the entire race so overall they are faster.

Raymond [/b]
    ITC is just as stable and their record was broken in 2004.

Andy Bettencourt

Alfa Spider was comeptitive in ITB? Interesting.... (and no, I do not want to build one!).... and cool.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Raymond. Raymond. (sigh); pay attention to the HONDAS, they're going to eat you for lunch if only reasonably prepared and driven. They are a major reason I haven't built another B car. And I think Ricks right; Limerock is slower, not the cars. (and A&S got MUCH faster) phil

Andy, Maybe down the road a ssm might fit into ITB, that would sure piss some people off. dave

Think about it ,limited prep 1600 (ssm) you would join that race. dave

C-mon Raymond, start crying now. dave

Andy, Maybe down the road a ssm might fit into ITB, that would sure piss some people off. dave

Think about it ,limited prep 1600 (ssm) you would join that race. dave

C-mon Raymond, start crying now. dave [/b]
    SSM record is 1:03.401 Gorriaran

Andy Bettencourt