Thread: Newbie best deals...

We have a newbie that we are trying to get into the racing world... Trying to do this on a budget and I looked around for the best deals, this is what I came up to make it feasable for him to get started financialy. What do you guys/gals thinik? Any better deals that you have found?

Helmets:
    G-FORCE Pro Force 1: $249.99
    G-Force Pro Force Hybrid: $199.99 (Not sure what I think about this converted open face)
    Pyrotect Helmet: $248.00

Belts:
    G Force Pro Series 5 Point Camlock Harness FIA rated: 129.99

Thanks for the help;

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Helmets - Call me a tightwad, but I always look for quality name brand helmets that are new, but SA "leftovers". Last fall, I bought a new-in-box Bell M2 (current retail ~$350 and up) for $125 with shipping on eBay. The catch? It's a Snell SA2000 sticker vs SA2005. My money (and I'm betting big here... with my head!) says the chance of a 2005 stickered M2 preventing an injury that the SA2000 won't, are very slim to non-existent.

Yes, with this scheme, I am forced to buy a new helmet every 5 years instead of every 10. But how many half-serious racers are actually going to be able to use the same helmet for 10 years?

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

We have a newbie that we are trying to get into the racing world... Trying to do this on a budget and I looked around for the best deals, this is what I came up to make it feasable for him to get started financialy. What do you guys/gals thinik? Any better deals that you have found?

Helmets:
    G-FORCE Pro Force 1: $249.99
    G-Force Pro Force Hybrid: $199.99 (Not sure what I think about this converted open face)
    Pyrotect Helmet: $248.00
    Belts:
    G Force Pro Series 5 Point Camlock Harness FIA rated: 129.99
    Thanks for the help;

Raymond
    [/b]
    Helmet prices are about the best bang for the buck. Jeg's in Columbus just got rid of G-Force and picked up ZAMP ($200?). I looked at them, and decided to go with a Bell for $360). I have an odd shaped head and need to fit the helmet (can't do that easily using mail order).

As for the belts, I think I saw a set of latch link's for less than half the price, advertised in Sports Car or Car & Driver if I remember right. SFI belts purchased now will be good until Dec '09, time enough to see if he likes racing.

Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

But how many half-serious racers are actually going to be able to use the same helmet for 10 years?[/b]
    Excellent point. On average, helmets are replaced every four years.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

[/b]

I was half looking around for deals on SA2000... I think a lot were sold in the fall depleating most inventory. If anyone sees a great deal while searching the web please post a link!!! I agree that would be the way to go for someone on a a budget.

For discussion, what is the real difference between a lets say Bell and a G-Force helmet? Greg maybe you (or someone else) may have some technical advice that will be convincing. I am a 100% supporter of safety equipment, but if the G-Force is able to get the ratings then why is it not as good as a name brand? Remember we are in closed cockpit IT cars where rollbars and what not (anything that you should hit with your head in a normal incident) is padded as well.

As for the Harness I thought about the latches, but the camlock is so much better once you actually use them a few times it is hard to go back... unfortunatly he has used our cars a few times.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

The harness you picked is likely the cheapest. As for helmet, I say keep it to the 250-350 range and you have lots and lots of choices. But dont buy based on price, buy a helmet based on fit. For me the G-force helmets where either way too tight, or too loose. So I ended up with a Bell M4 Pro for 349. Sure it spent more but I don't even notice the helmet.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

[/b]
    Not withstanding the obvious safety issues, I would venture only racers with no sense of smell...
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Not withstanding the obvious safety issues, I would venture only racers with no sense of smell...
    [/b]
    Balaclava does wonders at keeping the stank out of the helmet liner. so it letting the helmet properly air out after a weeknds use. I leave it upside down on the table for a few days after a race weekend which allows the liner to completely dry. Its just like with shoes, if you dont give them a day to dry out your just asking for swamp foot.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Wow! I don't know about "most", but I just got a new helmet when my SA95 got too old. I never banged it around, never was in an accident that caused the helmet to impact anything, always wore a balaclava for safety (and had a spare), and always left my helmet out for a couple of days to dry real well. If nothing else, a spritz of Fabreze or something (my sister's advice) goes a long way. You can always fill the inside with newspaper if the weekend's been particularly moist...just as you would with wet driving shoes. Don't tell the Tech dept. about changing a helmet every four years, or they'll make it mandatory like they did with seat belts.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

And be sure to check out SCCA discounts available to you. Some online dealers offer 10% off!
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB

yes but unless they have a tryone program with no cost to restock if the helmet does not fit you I still say at the least find a local place to get a good fitting helmet and if you must shave the 7.50 off then order it online by model and size.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

RST, the real difference between G-Force and the others is price and name. They all pass the same Snell testing. You could possibly find some differences in options and weight that may be reasonable for higher priced helmets but that will be up to the buyer and what they are looking for. You could look at it this way, why do the others charge more, because they can. Whichever brand, look for the Snell sticker on the inside that fits your desires and budget.

Howard

They all pass the same Snell testing.[/b]
    A Yugo and a Ferrari both pass the tests necessary for a license plate, but one is better than the other.

Bullet-proof vests are not made of fiberglass. The near $10,000 custom Kevlar helmets used by some pros have no Snell or SFI sticker--and nobody cares.

If you want a safety product that meets a minimum level of performance, look for one with a sticker. If you want something better you'll have to do your homework.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Gregg, I'm going to set you up on this one. Would that person be better off getting an less expensive Helmet this is still of very good quality (GForce for example) and an inexpensive head & neck restraint (the Isaac Link ?) for the same amount as buying a much more expensive helmet?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave,

Oh, yeah. A well-balanced safety package is a better use of the budget than something lopsided. Having a $1,200 custom suit and a pair of tennis shoes kind of misses the point.

I probably shouldn't pound the table so hard on some of this stuff, but the whole sticker thing is becoming counterproductive. I was chatting with a manufacturer the other day who had a great idea for improving a safety product. They are not going to develop it. Why? Because they would end up with the same sticker they have now.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Call Ron and Shawnee at Discovery parts about G-force and leftover SA2000 helmets. They have always been great to deal with and very honest, even when their honesty might cost them a buck or two. Top-notch folks to work with.
    Tell them the NutDrivers sent you.

Scott "Righty" Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org

PS Mr. Baker, how about a package deal, an ISAAC already installed on a helmet for a package price?
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C