Not that this actually seems to happen on race day but the pre-registrations can get us worried. This contingency is in place but I wonder how it works:

"If a race group is oversubscribed, the group will be split into 2 qualifying sessions. Each session will last 15 minutes. The fastest 40 qualifiers will race in the original race-group; the remaining cars will be moved to a different race group (chief steward’s discretion) as a consolation race. No points or trophies awarded for consolation races regardless of finish position. Cars that did qualify but not in the top 40, may wait at false grid of their original race group in case of a no show by a top 40 entrant. Alternates will be filled using final qualifying times in the order they qualified, #41 will receive the first option followed by #42, 43, etc. Alternate grid positions will be after the last original qualifiers."

My question is simple. Most Groups don't have single classes. So there really needs to be a much more finite plan when 2 or more classes are involved. For instance, if ITR, ITS and ITB is oversubscribed, then the way it reads, ITB cars would be at a huge disadvantage because it says "the fastest 40 qualifiers" Period.

It really should be the top 40 cars within the closest % of their top qualifiers...no? I realize the math can get tricky but...