Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on a 914 2.0 in ITB???

This car has been moved from ITA to ITB, does it have a chance? Is anybody running one?
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

What kinda weight they got it at?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

What kinda weight they got it at?
    [/b]

Weren't those the cars that ran up front with MR2's back when ITA was a bit slower?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

At that weight, they should be a pretty tight package! I'm having enough fun with my 2.0L at 2600#! They should be tough to catch, if anyone actually builds one and brings it out.

Not sure how the frame flex would work out in IT trim, though; seems like that could be the one weak point, no pun intended?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I looked up the GCR and only see the 914 in ITB, I didn't realize the change. Those cars back in the day had some great battles with the MR2's. Based on that, I would think they could make a strong ITB car. Their has to be some sitting around someplace... Who is going to bring one out?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Their has to be some sitting around someplace... Who is going to bring one out?
    [/b]
    Raymond, know where any are today??? ( or anyone else ) Most of the old SCCA cars I have seen have gone to a PCA class ( similar to IT but with twin carbs )
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

I had one of those (a 1.7) on the street years ago. Fun car, but it drives a lot like the Volkswagens they were generally based on (actually, it was a Porsche-designed car, supposed to be sold as a VW...)

I also recall the chassis flex problem. Didn't the /6 tend to actually crack so bad as to nearly break in half under hard competition? I guess the rear cage bars would go a long way to helping on that.

It's a good car with a torquey engine (and lots of aftermarket support - after all, it's the Type 4 bus engine), nice (ZF?) transmission (but sloppy rod-type shifter), good brakes, nice balance and weight. Downsides include torsion bar front suspension, and not a lot of aftermarket chassis support.

It would be a fun project.

Could be rather competitive at that weight and classification. It would be tough to find one that had the original FI rather than a Weber conversion. It would be dang near impossible to find one that wasn't rusted through, though. They had a really bad problem with that.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I had one of those (a 1.7) on the street years ago. Fun car, but it drives a lot like the Volkswagens they were generally based on (actually, it was a Porsche-designed car, supposed to be sold as a VW...)[/b]
    I had the 2.0, and sold it to a friend who still has it--I think.

...It's a good car with a torquey engine (and lots of aftermarket support - after all, it's the Type 4 bus engine), nice (ZF?) transmission (but sloppy rod-type shifter), good brakes, nice balance and weight. Downsides include torsion bar front suspension, and not a lot of aftermarket chassis support.[/b]
    Torquey is right; I snapped an engine mount. These are a gas to drive. They rotate instantly.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

I was going to build a 914 for ITC but the possiblity of an ECU rule change has stopped that. The D-jet FI is really hard to find good used parts, since new ones are NLA.
    Blake Meredith

Would it be worth considering a carb conversion? That is possible, right? Never looked at the rules closely myself, wouldn't be surprised if it too much of a performance hit...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Carb conversion not legal for IT unless it cam with one. And the only 914 to come with carbs was the Euro 1.8L it had dual single barrel Solex's

Blake

I drive and ITB Accord racecar and have a 73 914 2.0 with FI as a weekend car. Yes that's right original FI on a 914. Its in excellent condition, almost perfect interior, no rust, sprung just right. Handles like a magnet. I've done a number of DE's in it and its amazing where you can go flat out in that car where no one else can.

It makes lots of low end and mid power but it doesn't have the top end. i.e. this is a great autocross car. With the right amount of time and a knowledgeable mechanic it could be competitive in B, but the cost would be up there. The brakes also aren;t much to speak about either, actually the stock brakes are pretty bad. But it's a Porsche! Everyone that i know of upgrades the front brakes to BMW calipers real fast as thats one of the weaker points.

I've considered it, cause i love driving that car, then backed off when i look at the availability of the parts. I can get accord body parts at almost any junkyard and pep boys carries everything else. 914 parts???? ebay i guess. There is one that runs in the SEDiv that I see somtimes, not sure how they do. I bow down to anyone that does it though. I know what kind of time I have to spend on the street car, let alone what might be required to race one
    CFR ITB Champion 2007
    87 Honda Accord

The 2 liter 914 engine was a lot better than the 1.7/1.8 engines because Porsche redesigned the cylinder heads just for the Porsches. VW Buses never got the upgraded heads. They still didn't make much power due to the crappy camshaft designed for D-jet and the valve springs limit rpm to 6200 or less anyway.
    A fully prepped IT legal 2 liter 914 engine will make about 110 hp peak. At 2260lb how does that fit the formula?
    The stock brakes are fine if you know how set them up. (The BMW caliper upgrade is a waste of money IMO.) I used the stock 4 cyl. calipers on my FProd car for several years. With good pads and cooling ducts they are certainly adequate.
    I think I'd rather run a 2 liter in ITB than a 1.7 in ITC.
    Wheels and tires are a challenge. Factory alloys are 5.5" x 15" with 4 x 130mm bolt pattern. The rear wheel wells will barely accept 205 Hoosiers with perfectly offset rims.
    Chris Foley
    Tangerine Racing

I'm running about 100-105 at the rears, on the dyno, and am competitive, it seems (based on last weekend's results at the IT-Fest, Mid-O) at 2600lbs... so one would think the '14 might have a shot at that weight - how's the driveline efficiency? Presumably better than a torque tube car?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

My guess is the 2.0 would make a decent B car, and even better with the looming ECU rules... Biggest hurddle I see is finding a 73-76 2.0 donor that does not look like it has been at the bottom of the sea for 30 years... I had several of these cars 20 years ago but they sure seem to have disappeared now, decent solid ones that is.
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Particularly on "CRX tracks" (like Mid-O this past weekend?), the 914 would be a good choice, I think. The IT rules equalize some of the inherent weaknesses of top-heavy boxes like the Golf and Volvos but they don't completely cancel out those laws that Newton came up with.

K

Yeah - I'd feel a little like a sitting duck humping down the back straight at Mid-O in a 914, except that with such little weight and low height/CG, they should be able to tear through the Keyhole almost as fast as Joey (no-one's as fast as Joey, except Bob, through there - did you see that video!?!), so everyone else should be just catching up by the braking zone...

Of course you could always choose the cheap and easy route, and build a '24! They're all galvanized, so not really much rust to worry about, and we've shown they're far from a sitting duck on the straights... pretty deadly, actually! Check out this video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VbZGmU-EaFE

OK, enough tooting the 924's horn...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

924guy, I am thinking you are getting a little aero help there too. Those other shoebox cars seem to die in 3rd gear.......

Anybody know of any solid 914 2.0's out there, in the southeastern half of our world?
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...