Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My first driver's school

Hard for me to say objectively, but I think I'd rather be trying to get my first-gen down to 2200-and-some-odd pounds in ITA, than fighting the torquey ITB Audi Coupe while lugging around 2500+ libros...

It only works on paper.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I guess I have to wonder how accurate the formula for how much weight = how much power....

I think we underestimate how important torque/hp are in relation to weight.

It seems like in each class, the cars with more torque/hp...despite their extra weight...are faster.

In ITB it is the volvo's, for instance, which are very heavy...but man do they hustle down the track. When on track with a volvo, I am almost in disbelief that they are in the same class as me. There is absolutely nothing I will ever be able to do to my car that will enable me to even stay in the draft of one of those volvo's.

In ITS it may be the BMW's....ITA has the 240 and Nissans with their big torque/hp numbers...

Power is king. Weight seems...well, less important.

As a result, I would think the second gen MR2 would wupp up on a first gen. Despite the extra 300lbs. Much more torque and HP.

I could be wrong though
    "Entropy sucks"

Guys, wanted to let everyone know that Steve made it through his school with flying colors (and no help from me). Car ran great, he drove great and everything was great. Except the weather. Those guys on Saturday had the nastiest school weather (50 degrees and raining) I've seen. Carnage level was low. Lots of offs, but guys did a good job avoiding each other. Congrats to all.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I wouldn't say no help from you; your moral support early on was very helpful. Tell Jeff (the other Jeff) that he was very impressive showing up with no track experience and running as well as he did. I can't imagine taking a school on a strange track, let alone the first time on a track ever.

Jeff said he was already thinking about the fall school at SP. Hopefully will get to see you guys there again.
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

Jeff did great, I totally agree. Way better than great actually, his race was damn good.

Your car looked really good there, through the carousel and up the hill. Impressive to watch. Jeff will I think be back in the fall, I do hope to see you guys there as well.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The rain definitely sucked.

It made for an interesting and frustrating introduction to performance driving and a tire wall.

Once the rain stopped the fun finally began. My biggest disappointment was after having gotten to the pole in the first practice start, I opened up a huge gap by turn one in the second start, and over cooked it and lost about 11 places by the time I got back on the track before turn three.

Had a great time battling with the RX7 and Miata for the length of the race. The Z torque won that battle as I pulled away coming out of the esses on the final lap.
    Jeff Roussel
    Soon to be ITS Datsun 260z

Hey Steve, it was good to meet you up there at school and you and the MR2 looked great on track! Nice job!

That was a heck of a wet Saturday and I am VERY suprised the carnage wasn't a lot higher than it was. In fact, it was extremely low, even low for a dry school.

Lots of fun to watch, maybe we'll be back up there for the second school. That is a long way for us though in NC, heck of a drive with the last hour or so on some fairly small roads.

Ron

Yeah I felt sorry for you guys having that long drive Sunday night. I know I was glad I didn't have that drive. I think I mentioned to you guys, I'll be down your way at VIR Labor Day weekend running an HPDE with Mazda. Here's the link in case any of you would be interested.

http://www.mazdadrivers.com/
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

Im glad you all had a great time. I was tied up this weekend or you would have seen me somewhere on pit lane or pit out. My march comedy of errors of sorts (well funny to everyone but me) involving nearly every car I own kept me from the track.

--
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Ron and Jeff
    I met you guys and didn't even realize it!!!!! I was there with the two Hankook Civics. Thanks for all the help with the bolt issue on the black car. It worked enough to get Greg signed off! I didn't feel comfortable enough to put him out there in the student race and his instructor agreed, but thankfully his instructor felt he was competant enough to pass. Will (white civic(my old car)) also passed so it was a succeessful weekend for all.
    John Costello
    John Costello
    2009 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    2010 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    King Motorsports
    Hoosier Tire
    Chase Cam
    Redline Oil
    YEA YEA YEA......I sold out and now drive an SM and get schooled on a regular basis!

John, no problem at all. And thanks to you for the toe plates, we were worried that the front end of the Z had been moved around.

Glad your guys made it through school. Snapping a caliper bolt is just bad luck.

Hope to see you at the track sometime.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8