Thread: dipstick question

I'm starting to put stuff back on to my short block and tried out the dipstick. With a new BSI baffled oil pan the dipstick hits the baffles and can't go in by about 2 inches.

If this is this normal how do you check your oil level?

Thanks
    Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco
    Check out the VW Club Racers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=309326556818

oops Joe. You probably have to take down that pan and make a hole in the baffle for the dip stick.

Be careful.

Well, I tried to go to BSI's web site so I could see what the pan looked like, but I couldn't get past their Flash opening page (that is SO freaking annoying. I'm already there; I DON'T NEED A FUGGIN FLASH ADVERTISEMENT).

A-hem.

Anyway, got a photo?

Ok this one is easy. It DOES actually go in. But not like without the baffled pan. What usually works for me is without force (dont want to brake the orange plastic thingy) just push down on the dipstick lightly while you rotate it and it will slide in all the way. Both Matt and myself where baffled (litterally) why mine never fit right and thus sputtered oil of I tried to track it like that. Now its second nature to me every time i check the oil but most of my 'crew' still have issues sometimes.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco
    Check out the VW Club Racers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=309326556818

Yep, same one that Drake designed years ago (still have mine) and same as Techtonics sells.

As James pointed out, the dipstick fits. The problem is that it's real close ans you insert the 'stick, so you have to jiggle it around.

But it'll fit.

yeap, I have a BSI one and a TT one. Both are no big deal.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Yep, same one that Drake designed years ago (still have mine) and same as Techtonics sells.

As James pointed out, the dipstick fits. The problem is that it's real close ans you insert the 'stick, so you have to jiggle it around.

But it'll fit.
    [/b]
    Greg,
    are you STILL hoarding VW parts???? didnt that car go away like 20 years ago?

You need to share those parts with those of us still trying to keep them on the track

Matt Bal

It's amazing: I keep finding V-dub parts...happens when you've been around these cars half your life...I even found an old Dasher LF fender, and I wrecked that car in something like 1984...

If anyone wants this baffled oil pan for a really good price (same thing as in that photo above), let me know. I gave it to MattK, but he's looking to sell it.

I also just had contact from a friend who's got my old 1.6L head with the original Drake 426 cam in it. He's also looking to sell.

Lord knows what else is hanging around in the attic, but when I find stuff, I'll let you guys know...

You think thats bad. MYip found an 8v CIS-E engine harness, knock box and ECU. He races an ITA 16v, it just goes to show VW guys throw nothing out.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Thanks to everone who chimed in, I figured it out and works fine.
    Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco