Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mini in ITB ?

Anybody notice the Comp Board Advisory that just came out (March Fastrack) showing the 2002 Mini in ITB ? No details, it must be the base level car. I ran against one in SSC (Nationals a couple years ago) and they handled well but lacked power (also chewed up front tires from lack of camber). They were stout things, though.

Wonder if they would be a decent ITB car ? (especially with the ECU rules changing).

Steve

NEW CAR CLASSIFICATIONS
    GT3 – Nissan/Datsun 240-Z / 260-Z / 280-Z
    GTL – Nissan 240SX (S13/S14)
    SCCA Fastrack News March 2007 Page 13
    ITR – BMW 325i/ci E46 (01-02)
    ITR – BMW 328i/ci E46 (99-00)

ITB – Mini Cooper (2002)

FP – Volkswagen Jetta (85-92)
    Steve Strickland
    2006 Mazda MX5- T4/ ITS
    1990 Honda Civic ITB
    2000 Mazda Protege ITB
    SARRC Comm Chair
    ITAC

...handled well but lacked power [/b]
    Yup - sounds like an ITB car to me.

This is going to be another one of those sorry-I-wished-for-it things but I think it would be a great ITB car, and we'd welcome it to the class. I'm funny like that - thinking that more, different cars is always a good thing even if it means more competition...

The Mini actually got discussed here before the proposal went in and I think the consensus was generally positive.

K

I know been poking around looking for any katrina mini's that might turn into a long term project that eventually replaces the 87 golf.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Yea, I am psyched about it! A NEW car in ITB...I mean a CURRENT car! And a cool one at that! We don't get to do THAT every day!

I look forward to the day I see a Mini and an Alfa Spider latebraking each other into Big Bend at Lime Rock!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I know been poking around looking for any katrina mini's that might turn into a long term project that eventually replaces the 87 golf.
    [/b]
    Don't discount any ex-National SSC cars, either.. At least they've already got part of an IT cage, usually have a bunch of wheels and tires, and have a logbook (and you may even be able to sell bits of the interior). Teams that just have to stay current sometimes let their old racecars go for relatively short money.

My ITA Z3 started life as an SSB car and became an IT car for less than it would have cost me if I started with a shell..

-noam
    -noam

On racing hiatus for a while
    NER SCCA

There are probably fewer than 3 SSC normally-aspirated Minis.

I'd call Brad Davis at the Mini dealer in Charleston, SC. He'd know where they are.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Exactly. I have yet to dig into it, but as I can recall the Mini Cooper in SSC was short lived as soon as the Cooper S was classed. Again its also a long term idea/project. Buy something that runs, might be able to title and in a few years gut it and make it my new race car when I tire of the golf or bend it beyond repair.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Josh is right, there were only a handful in SSC. They were just not competitive with the Civic Si's. Brad's first one had to be scrapped thanks to the old DOT, and by then he was into the S. Still, he'd know where a deal may be, and he knows the car well.

I recall that the ECU was a real limiting factor with the motor. Depending on where the Comp Board goes with revised ECU rules it may be easier to get competitive power from it.

Be fun to run something like this. I'd love to have my Protege reclassified to ITB with appropriate ballast.

Steve
    Steve Strickland
    2006 Mazda MX5- T4/ ITS
    1990 Honda Civic ITB
    2000 Mazda Protege ITB
    SARRC Comm Chair
    ITAC

Most of the SSC Coopers were factory supplied pre-spec cars. They were all recalled and "recycled". With the new MINI out now, prices for the "older" models may actually get reasonable.

Gerry Walsh
    Otto's Motorsport
    #48 ITC VW Rabbit
    #37 ITB VW Golf A3
    #88 ITA Honda Civic

Just watched an SSC mini race at the Rock. Appeared to have power equal to ITB cars, handling a bit down of course.

Watch out for this one I think. Could be a great B car.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Just watched an SSC mini race at the Rock. Appeared to have power equal to ITB cars, handling a bit down of course.

Watch out for this one I think. Could be a great B car. [/b]
    The problem is Jeff, it is about 95% certain that was a Cooper S. There is almost 50 more stock HP under the hood.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

hmmmm....might have been, it did whoosh when it went by. Did they allow the supercharged one in SSC? I just assumed no.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The NA car was first but short lived as the SC car came in and outclassed it. It is what is ruling SSC now.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Cooper S (supercharged) was moved back to SSB for 2007, where it belongs. Are you sure the one you saw was in SSC?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

There was also a Mini which ran in New England (non S type). I was surprised with how well that thing handled on a stock suspension. Should be a very good car to have. There's still a lot of debate about the power numbers is will make. Some people say it will make nice power, others say it won't be that significant. We'll see.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I think the two minis at the rock were both SSB cars.

I look forward to the ITB version too, and would be very excited to be a part of the build on one. Who's ready? Let's build a Mini! The Katrina car thing is actually a pretty good Idea, start scouring, they might have recycled most of those cars by now though.

Cameron, I thought the same thing but make a few calls, many of them are stuck on a lot just waiting to go to auction while insurence companies are locked up in legal battles from trying to deny claims left and right.

I really considered dumping my current 2001 jetta on the market and just picking up an early non S mini to replace it and drive till I bend the golf.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

I heard some rice boy of america talking about some place down there that had 50 eclipses or something, but do you know of a specific salvage place to call or anything? It might be a good place to look for many different tubs, how many mk3 VW's you think got flooded? Plenty probably. It's perfect really for race car starter you toss out anything that can absorb the stink anyway.
    hmm. . .

Ill e-mail him for a list of known recyclers that frequent the auctions.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Yeah google is worthless, input flood anything and you get
    "How to AVIOD flood cars"

oh well. let me know if you come up with something interesting.