Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: March fastrac

Actually, John - I think it's an issue worth considering. I confess that I don't actually know what the on-track experiences of the BoD members are, or how many are currently active racers. It arguably matters, depending on what the question is. That's NOT intended to be some kind of blanket criticism of the group, or a jab pointed at any particular individual - just a ponder.

K

And the more 'racers' we have on the Bod would create a "we need more BUSINESS PEOPLE" on the BoD...or "He is bias and has an agenda because he runs in XYZ class". There are some people who will never be happy.

I can tell you that the BoD Chair (my BoD rep - Introne) knows just as much or more than anyone in the SCCA at ground level. He is a former RE and frequently serves as race chair. He knows his 'grassroots'. He listens when you grab his ear, he presents what he can at NER meetings as a speaker.

What kind of person do we want on the BoD if this guy doesn't fit?

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

my knee jerk reaction is that people on the BOD should be racers themselves. then i think about my BOD representative, and my opinion instantly changes. i think having smart, reasonable people who listen is far more important than having a current driver.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I'm not sure what Mr. Miller getting at, but I will give you a rundown, as best that I can recall.

There are currently seven directors with competition licenses:

John Sheridan - currently in SM but also has driven HP and AS
    Charlie Clark - EP, GT3, ITA, numerous Runoffs
    Mike Sauce - FP, FF, FC, FA, President's Cup winner, Runoffs front runner, Pro Atlantic
    Jim Christian - FF, SRF, FSCCA, SRSCCA, numerous Runoffs
    Duck Allen - FP, SRF, numerous Runoffs
    RJ Gordy - SRF
    Andy Porterfield - GT1, TransAm, numerous Runoffs

Of the remaining six, all but Kaye Fairer have extensive racing backgrounds.

Brian Holtz - 16 years in ITA, 2nd place in MARRS series. Wins at Summit, Glen, Pocono
    Bob Introne - SRF for a couple of years
    KP Jones - FV for years, numerous runoffs
    Larry Dent - TransAm, S2000
    Bob Lybarger - anything without fenders, FV guru

Brian

...and I voted for Kaye.

Thanks for the info. That's pretty interesting, actually.

K

Did I miss something? Fastrack stated that '90 and later cars in IT prep would be eligible for Prepared. Even though that seems like an oxymoron to me, I think I understand what I think they're doing, but that's an opinion I'll keep to myself...for a change.

What I question is there is no allowance, that I read, for safety items. A legal IT car doesn't have to have window straps, a fuel cell, or an onboard fire extinguisher, but Prod, GT, and, I understand, Prepared cars do. This is a screaming point on the Prod Site (as id they needed more).
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I think it goes to maybe a poor choice in class name.

Prepared is not Production.

What I question is there is no allowance, that I read, for safety items. A legal IT car doesn't have to have window straps, a fuel cell, or an onboard fire extinguisher, but Prod, GT, and, I understand, Prepared cars do. This is a screaming point on the Prod Site (as id they needed more).
    [/b]
    I don't understand the question. Fastrack says:
    Vehicles meeting one of the following criterion may compete in the Prepared category:
    · Cars built specifically under these Prepared rules
    · Currently classified World Challenge cars, using the vehicle’s most recent VTS sheets.
    · GCR listed IT cars, 1990 and newer, under the current IT specifications
    [/b]
    So what's the issue? Is it that some cars in the class require window straps, and others don't? So what? An IT car "under the current IT specifications" is legal in Prepared. Therefore, an IT car without window straps is legal in Prepared. Who is bothered by this?

Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I'm not sure what Mr. Miller getting at, but I will give you a rundown, as best that I can recall.

There are currently seven directors with competition licenses:

John Sheridan - currently in SM but also has driven HP and AS
    Charlie Clark - EP, GT3, ITA, numerous Runoffs
    Mike Sauce - FP, FF, FC, FA, President's Cup winner, Runoffs front runner, Pro Atlantic
    Jim Christian - FF, SRF, FSCCA, SRSCCA, numerous Runoffs
    Duck Allen - FP, SRF, numerous Runoffs
    RJ Gordy - SRF
    Andy Porterfield - GT1, TransAm, numerous Runoffs

Of the remaining six, all but Kaye Fairer have extensive racing backgrounds.

Brian Holtz - 16 years in ITA, 2nd place in MARRS series. Wins at Summit, Glen, Pocono
    Bob Introne - SRF for a couple of years
    KP Jones - FV for years, numerous runoffs
    Larry Dent - TransAm, S2000
    Bob Lybarger - anything without fenders, FV guru

Brian
    [/b]
    Brian,

I guess what I should have said was "How many are current, active racers?" Doesn't really matter much to me though. Since I'm no longer a member of the SCCA, it doesn't really impact me.

John,

I could give a rat's ass if my answer was good enough for you or not.

I think I understand what I think they're doing, but that's an opinion I'll keep to myself...for a change. [/b]

I will be writing a letter requesting that cars entering these Prepared classes as IT cars, under this allowance, NOT be added to the official car count for Runofffs eligibility.

Andy Bettencourt

I will be writing a letter requesting that cars entering these Prepared classes as IT cars, under this allowance, NOT be added to the official car count for Runofffs eligibility.
    [/b]

That's just it Andy, if you read the passage in FasTrack again, it's not saying "IT cars running in Prepared", it's saying that if it's listed in the ITCS, is a 1990 m/y or newer, and is built to IT specs, it is a Prepared car. With this single passage, they created two different prep levels (pretty major differences too) w/in the same class. And don't think for a minute that they won't count those cars towards the participation numbers (that's why they did this).

What's really going to be interesting is to see if there are any significant differences between the safety requirements for an IT car vs. a Prepared car. I haven't had time to read through the Prepared rules closely enough to see if there are.

Sure the comp board is using the inclusion of IT cars to bolster the prepared ranks. That is what has the Prod guys upset. With the top 24 rule they may lose a spot or two so they are trash talking we IT guys about the safety of our cars and our driving. It’s funny because if Prod adopted the same philosophy it could bolster their numbers and help them beat such classes as CSR and GT3. In the view of a segment of the some of the prod guy they are the Legacy classes of SCCA and as such deserve an elevated status in Club Racing.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

[/b]
    Right on. If IT cars are going to get counted for RubOffs qualification, it should be as IT cars.

The current situation is like being the geeky guy that hot girls come cry on in the middle of the night, when the jerks they are willing to date in public treat them like crap.

K

The current situation is like being the geeky guy that hot girls come cry on in the middle of the night, when the jerks they are willing to date in public treat them like crap.
    [/b]
    wow
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I wrote my letter. I don't want the IT cars bolstering anyones car counts. I don't think it's fair to ANY of the other classes who are struggling to make the 'show'. If I was king for a day, here is what I would do:

- ANY class that makes minimum participation numbers to REMAIN a class, gets to run for a National Title

- The top 24 get the premier slots (Speed coverage)

- The bottom get to run either before or after with no TV time. Yes this extends the event, but so what? If you have the classes, you owe it to them. And the current average car mins are what - 2.5 cars? That is a JOKE. Should be at LEAST 5 cars per National to even be considered a class. Think of it this way, you could come in last at every race you attend and still qualify. Laughable really.

- Throw ITR in there. You wanna see some sweet cars that would get the attention of our target audience?

Andy Bettencourt

...being the geeky guy that hot girls come cry on...[/b]
    Nice analogy, and spot-on. - GA

So, about the 1990 requirement. The second gen RX-7 spec line is 86-91. Any car in that range could be identical to the next one except for the VIN. Is the rule meant to include cars that have 90 or newer in the same speck line or is it hard and fast 1990? Just not well thought out IMO.

i think i'll follow your lead with that letter andy.

question - does anyone think that having the runoffs on TV does/could attract new drivers? if it does, i might be convinced to support IT going national.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

i think i'll follow your lead with that letter andy.

question - does anyone think that having the runoffs on TV does/could attract new drivers? if it does, i might be convinced to support IT going national.
    [/b]
    I think it attracts new drivers to the class (if there's a great race), but I'm not sure it attracts new drivers to the club. Maybe new drivers from other clubs, but I don't think the broadcast turns very many non-racers into racers, mostly because I don't think very many non-racers watch.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Nice analogy, and spot-on. - GA
    [/b]
    Absotively on the money!!!

I think it attracts new drivers to the class (if there's a great race), but I'm not sure it attracts new drivers to the club. Maybe new drivers from other clubs, but I don't think the broadcast turns very many non-racers into racers, mostly because I don't think very many non-racers watch.
    [/b]

You think the time slots that they air has anything to do w/ that?