Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey VW just keeps getting it right!

I'd still like to see the Polo here...

K

Bill,
    You have some unusual ideas about the VW line-up. I see them not having a full size P/U as VW keeping it real. And I like that rabbit thing they've got out now, I'm just waiting for it to come with the compression ignition engine. . .
    [/b]
    I guess you could call them unusual. I just can't get my head around calling something that weighs ~3000# a 'Rabbit'. I guess I've had too many Rabbits as street cars and race cars. And you could view the re-introduction of a p/u as a 'return to roots', giving that the Rabbit p/u version is still pretty damn popular w/ VW enthusiasts. There was no reason to build the Phaeton, and it pretty much went against everything you learn in an undergraduate intro to marketing class. Maybe the Toureg w/ the V10 TDI was only meant to be a test mule, but it will be interesting to see where Audi goes w/ that motor.

And yes, a TDI version of that new car would be cool. I'd really like to see a TDI Polo over here though. There's a car that would be a hoot!

A few years ago we had a chance to play with a 3 liter Lupo for a while. It was a hoot. The technology they can bring to the table is impressive. It is just a shame that Honda and Toyota seem to understand the value of marketing efficiency to the masses so much more clearly. How long has VW been selling cars that can return 50mpg highway in real life?

On the T-reg TDi, of course it is here again because the truck has enough margin in it to cover the cost of additional emissions equipment now rquired on ci engines. This is why you can buy Mercedes and BMW diesels again (don't know why Audi is still not on to this). Drove a V10 tdi to NJ and back from Chicago when they first came out, also drove a Bentley Continental GT for one tank of gas on that trip - the V10 was more impressive. (no I don't normally own/drive cars like that - our 4door GTI is the first car I ever bought new, 80% of the rest were/are old VWs)
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

With the V10 TDi tow capacity of 7,716lbs it sure would do the job in many cases...........
    [/b]
    The V6 has the same towing capacity. The V10 just has more grunt to pull it.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Jeremy,

Come on man! Face it - you just can't get over how I used to whip up on you in your Honda w/ my various VW products when we used to leave East Hampton High School everyday and go balls out down the back roads around Lake Pocotopaug. VW's rock man, and you just have to accept it. The fact that VW racers now have a significant boost in the wallet from VW of America just steams you, dosn't it?

It's not fair to all the VW racers here to be making up stuff that you say you read about in your money magazines in your 150th floor cherry wood executive office in down town Hartford, is it? And you want to talk about reliablity? The only reason my VWs ever broke is OBVIOUSLY because I was the one working on them! We all know that the latest crop of Dubs for sale don't do the trick for us purists, but I doubt many of the fine folks here race anything VW that was built after '95 or so.

You know its been a while since I've been behind the wheel but I've been saving my sheckles...when I saw your Integra for sale, I've gotta say I was considering it...The bug just never leaves you know?

But, I've gotta admit, with this new contingency, I may have to get back to basics and stick w/ what I know...Anyone got an already built IT VW for sale for cheap here in CT?

Wait...I just had a thought...I know whats going on here!...YOU are selling your ITS Integra because you yourself are looking into getting a fine product of Wolfsburg, so YOU yourself can get into some of the VWOA contingency Cool-Aid!!!!!!!!

I thought it was strange to see you posting on these boards! Its about time you came to your senses. Gimme a call, I'd like you to consider renting the Integra to me for a regional sometime!

-Eric W.

I'd still like to see the Polo here...

K
    [/b]
    Just got back from 2 months in China. The current Polo is an excellent transverse-engined little car with some tasty engine options altready fitted, and I wouldn't blow my nose at the longitudinal-engined Gol either. I'd love to see either one here in the States In fact, I seriously considered bringing in a Polo of my own, and that may still happen if I can find the right one anywhere in N. America.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

VW Motorsport has officially homologated the Polo mk5 for international rally use... FINALLY!
    My friends over there have been pulling their hair out because Kris wouldn't sign the FIA paperwork... but it's legal now.

Rene Georges in BE is running the cars. They are VERY cool.
    http://www.renegeorges.be/fr/photos.asp?lg=2&menunum=12

It's not a tiny car either. The Polo GTI would be an awesome car to get over here.

Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

It's not a tiny car either. The Polo GTI would be an awesome car to get over here.
    [/b]
    Looks sweet with those race flairs, but definitely looks smaller without. See stock Polo pics at DSCF226-228, 233 and 001 of this link (page 2). 234-236 are some Gols. I didn't see any labeled "GTI". Does "GTI" come with the flairs in addition to the 1.6L 20V?
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=itb44&...1427606&.src=ph

EDIT: For size comparison, the bigger white car parked in front of it is just a VW Fox/Quantum/Santana.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

I didn't see any labeled "GTI"
    [/b]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glfJWywhOLg

Rumor is GTI Cup will actually be Jetta TDi DSG cars.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Yeah, where is this information that was supposed to be available "soon" I'm becoming impatient!

Tell me about it. After the quick response on the contingency plan, I have been chomping at the bit to hear more about the series.

This is an accurate rumor though
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

I just want my stickers! :026:
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB

TDI DSG huh? Now I want one even more!! Where is the damn info???

Has anybody received or seen the stickers yet?

I confirmed two weeks ago that stickers aren't yet available and that they will honor the awards without them. It would be a good idea probably, to have a copy of the email explaining that so the tech inspectors who need to sign the form will know to ignore the direction requiring them to confirm stickers before doing so.

K

I confirmed two weeks ago that stickers aren't yet available and that they will honor the awards without them. It would be a good idea probably, to have a copy of the email explaining that so the tech inspectors who need to sign the form will know to ignore the direction requiring them to confirm stickers before doing so.[/b]
    any updates on stickers? I am thinking that a way confirm my entry went in..............

Here's an email from reply from Jenny White on 5/21/07:

You'll need to complete and submit the VW claim form with a copy of the
    official race results. The form is available from the Club Racing -
    Contingency page of scca.com. A tech official signature is not required
    until the decals are available.

Jenny White
    Sports Car Club of America

Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf

I got the same response from Jenny. I was also scolded for having an official sign the forms to claim the $. The forms are for certifying the application of the stickers that don't exist. Sigh.... They are sending the check anyway ;-)

DZ

Rumor is GTI Cup will actually be Jetta TDi DSG cars.
    [/b]
    Rumor confirmed. My guy at VW Motorsport in Hannover went into the shop to check something on the cars that won the Nurburgring 24 and there it was... Jetta for use in new US series. The crew for the N24 GTIs was working on it. Not sure on the powerplant or transmission. But I'd bet shwah is correct.