Thread: Seat Mounting/Rules

Hi,

I'm obviously new here, but had a quick question. My seat is too high in my Corolla (ITA) and I need to lower it so that my head does not smack against the rollcage. I cannot lower it as much as I would like as the catalytic converter 'bulge' in the floorpan will not allow me to. Is it within the rules to cut out this bulge and weld in some sheet metal to allow the seat to be installed lower? Obviously, there is no performance gain by doing this, just the increased chance of surviving a rollover. Any input is appreciatted.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm obviously new here, but had a quick question. My seat is too high in my Corolla (ITA) and I need to lower it so that my head does not smack against the rollcage. I cannot lower it as much as I would like as the catalytic converter 'bulge' in the floorpan will not allow me to. Is it within the rules to cut out this bulge and weld in some sheet metal to allow the seat to be installed lower? Obviously, there is no performance gain by doing this, just the increased chance of surviving a rollover. Any input is appreciatted.

Thanks
    [/b]
    What about making new and lower seat brackets? I'm not sure what the rule nerds would say but if it were me I'd cut the bulge out and put in new sheet metal and lower the seat, if I could not modify or make lower brackets. Just make sure it's strong enough not to fall out of the car.

Presuming you are a real person why not start your communication within this site with a real name & location. There may be someone who may not post but would post with knowledge on your subject/car if they knew your name & location.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Umm, okay, not to be paranoid, but why does it matter if you know my real name and location? Is that relevant to my question?

Anyways, to answer dj10, yeah, I've already tried lower brackets. The bulge is the limiting factor. Even without mounting brackets, and the factory brackets cut away, the seat sits on top of the bulge and my head can still hit the roll bar.

Thanks for your help.

How about applying a BFH to the bulge?

Presuming you are a real person why not start your communication within this site with a real name & location. There may be someone who may not post but would post with knowledge on your subject/car if they knew your name & location.
    [/b]
    You make a good point...

Regarding the question.........

As to the bulge... I'd support the adjacent areas on the floorpan from below then use the BFH smack on the middle of bulge....

Thank you all for the suggestions, but I'm not really asking how to do this, I'm asking if it is allowed under the GCR.

Thanks again,

The BFH is allowed, although you won't find it in the glossary

Doc. This site is a wonderful source for IT information but as you may see sometimes the rules discussion go to the extreme. I find these theoretical discussions useful, but it frustrates others.
    In my opinion the rules when applied strictly do not allow this modification but from a practical point of view I do not think you will get in much trouble doing it. The BFH suggestion is valid. Reshaping the existing metal is less of an illegal modification that cutting out the panel and replacing it, and there for could be considered less of a starching of the rules.
    As for your identity, this site is populated by real racers dealing (somedays) with real issues. When someone shows up that is anonymous there is suspicion that they may be getting set up. While David can lack tact sometimes he is right in that people will be more willing to help if you are up front with whom and where you are.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Thank you all for the suggestions, but I'm not really asking how to do this, I'm asking if it is allowed under the GCR.

Thanks again, [/b]
    Dr., I see no where in the GCR where it says you can or can not specifically reshape your floor so your head doesn't hit the damn roof. I'm sure you don't want to drive like it is so IMO just do it. We want you to be safe which is common sense. If anyone give you shit about it, tell them I said your allowed.

Dan

I posted my reply in a hurry as I was walking out the door. Dick did a better job of explaining the rationale for my response, which is if you are in doubt about the legality of cutting and welding the floorpan, just pound the existing metal flat. The rules don't specifically allow it, but you aren't removing or replacing anything so there is less room for someone to argue. OTOH, I can see the argument that you are gaining a competitive advantage by slightly lowering the center of gravity.

OTOH, I can see the argument that you are gaining a competitive advantage by slightly lowering the center of gravity. [/b]

Yea Dr. just take a grinder to your helmet so you can fit! Someone whould have to be really chicken sh%^ to call you on this.

How much seat padding can you take out? I drive without any and I don't have a fat ass.

How much seat padding can you take out? I drive without any and I don't have a fat ass.
    [/b]
    That's a good suggestion...I'll have to try...