Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I thought these guys were out of business!!!

Building a VW motor for IT .Call David Leira in Miami at Leiras Automotive. His results and reliability for the past 15 years are outstanding.

Cameron Conover, Dr. K's engine guru.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Honestly, I have no interest in going to any other shop to get an engine built then Bertils, that is if I dont do it myself... Not that I dont trust everyone's advice (thank you BTW...) but it is because I am only a few hour drive from his shop, and I can talk to them in person at the shop.

>> true, but there is a lot of labor involved

OK we have nothing to hide since we're about to post all this info on our website soon....

Disassemble, cleaning, remove and replace various oil plugs and studs, valve job, set valve spring heights and pressures, resurface head, assembly ~$345.00
    Resurface head (+ .5 compression) ~$60
    Match porting and 1" (IT) intake porting. ~$120
    Remove and replace valve guides if needed ~$90.00
    Shipping charges to/from Bildon Motorsport - TBD

Of course parts (if needed) are extra.

This is approx. what you'll pay for an IT head from us. Info for you to chew on.

The bottom end follows the same format... still even if you came to us and said I want 1mm over and every tiny nut and bolt balanced and every hole radiused and part blueprinted you are not going to pay much more for a full on ARRC motor.

If you had us fabricate you an oil cooler system and build a custom oil pan it could go up another $1000 if you really tried to find things to spend money on. But the big bucks are in porting, light valve train and light forged internals... none of which can be on your IT motor.

>> Head flowing
    ?
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

...and the lifespan of the Bertils SuperVee engine we had in our Ralt was measured in minutes, not hours. Well, hours - but not very many of them. And the crank was considered a service part - replace with the rebuild. Whee!

K

...and the lifespan of the Bertils SuperVee engine we had in our Ralt was measured in minutes, not hours. Well, hours - but not very many of them. And the crank was considered a service part - replace with the rebuild. Whee!

K
    [/b]

Nobody is going to stop you for spending more money than you have to. However, for the money you'll save, you could fly to just about any other engine builder's shop, anywhere in the country.

So I decided to save a bit of $$$ and do it myself.!!! Woo. Elbows deep cleaning the cylinders!

Its not all that hard. Of course its interesting to buy a motor off someone that is supposed to be .020 over but when you check the bore with a caliper its still stock 81mm
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

ABA 0.040" over should end up 83.5mm.

Cam but im rebuilding a RD engine code. 81mm is stock bore.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Its not all that hard. Of course its interesting to buy a motor off someone that is supposed to be .020 over but when you check the bore with a caliper its still stock 81mm [/b]
    Hey, look at it this way. He said it was 20 over, and it's not....but it isn't illegal either! (Thats a far more common "discovery")
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Oh, somebody is building a Mk3 I thought we were talking about that for some reason, oops.
    Wouldn't it be nice to have 92.8mmx83.5mm? maybe the contingency will encourage some more MK3's and so On. :026:

Jake, I was not worried about illegal. But a friend reminded me that my caliper could be off since its an analog. He is lending me his digital so I can double check the bore size.

Cam - yeah, I wouldn't mind it, but you know what I already have an mk2 thats racable and it just doesnt make sense to build an mk3 right now.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Turns out having the correct resolution caliper is all you need. Borrowed my friends digial good to .01mm and yeap bores are 81.5x on all 4 cyl No variances out of .02mm on any 8 point cross hatch measurement pattern.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Good deal.

Just one more tool I need to remember who I can borrow it from.

Anyway, getting my parts ordered today, at this rate I could have the motor sealed up in early march and ready to be broken in at the 3/31 PDX.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Anyway, getting my parts ordered today, at this rate I could have the motor sealed up in early march and ready to be broken in at the 3/31 PDX.
    [/b]

LUCKY... I have to wait until April 28-29th before there are any races in the midwest.....

Oh no my first race weekend is 4/27-28/07, but we have a PDX that I plan to instruct in on 3/31 which is perfect to break in the motor since I don't need to push the car that hard.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Where is Dr. K located?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

Actually if your looking for motor work talk to Conover.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports