Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I thought these guys were out of business!!!

So I am debating on having these guys build my IT engine!!!

Here are a couple of places I'd also check out:

http://www.porttuning.com/home.php , Jose did Chuck Mathis's GP winning 1.6 VW Rabbit in 2006

Dick Shine has a good reputation
    http://www.srsvw.com/

So does Bill Sulouff
    http://www.bildon.com/

BSI is still in business, but not sure if they have completely gone over to the dark side, with only doing Spec Miata stuff, http://www.bsiracing.com/

I'm not sure if Techtonics actually builds motors, but I know they have lots of parts

http://techtonicstuning.com/

So, depending on where you are, there are some choices other than Bertils. But they (Bertils) are very well respected in the VW racing world.

Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

So I am debating on having these guys build my IT engine!!!

[/b]

Where do you live?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Here are a couple of places I'd also check out:

http://www.porttuning.com/home.php , Jose did Chuck Mathis's GP winning 1.6 VW Rabbit in 2006

[/b]
    Jose did the headwork on Chuck's 1.5. AMT in St. Louis did a lot of the motor, and he did a lot of it himself. That is where my motor is sitting right now :026:
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I live in Minnesota, so Bertils is within reason of me taking a long weekend and picking it up...

As far as the rest of the shops.

Bildon is awsome! I have ton of their parts on my car!

Techtonics is awsome too. I actually am a dealer for their parts. Colin spent 45 min discussing how we wanted to burn my chip for the race car!

Stu and Darleen at BSI are also very knowledgable and helpful, but like everyone said they are into their Miatas now.
    (I am sure they will do great at that...)

And I will NEVER do any business with DICK SHINE.... I think he is an ASSH*LE. I have a bad taste of his business from a few online forum experiences I have had... But I am not starting any drama. That is just my opinion.

But all in all I am capable of building the car myself, I just think Bertils know a whole lot more then me!

thats ok, Dick lives up to his name when you talk about suspension tuning on the forums. but really I cannot complain at all about his company quality, resources or customer service.

You just have to take his replies for what they are, his opinion and he is an opinionated man.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

A shout out for the guys who help me out on my HP Scirocco: http://www.speedperformanceresearch.com
    Great guys who race VWs off-road and actually give you a QUOTE on work to be done.

Whoever you choose, make sure they understand the rules for your particular class.
    Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf

We just did a leakdown and compression test on MkIII 2.0 that Cameron built for me and are VERY pleased with the results, after 40+ hours of beating the crap out of it. It's now broken in.

K

>> It's now broken in.

Race engines need no break in. Discuss!

>> So I am debating on having these guys build my IT engine!!!

Bring a big checkbook :P
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

Oh, I know that, Bill. It's one of those euphamism thingies.

K

Bring a big checkbook :P
    [/b]
    After a little research it looks like about $9000 for an IT engine. About 18k for a dry sump'd prod engine... I am going to hold out untill I get the car into prod. in the next few years.

Aaron

I think he is an ASSH*LE. I have a bad taste of his business from a few online forum experiences I have had... [/b]

He's not an ass hole, he's just a crusty old New Englander .......And really knows his stuff.

Fortunately, there are plenty of reputable VW builders out there.

I can vouch for Cameron's engines. They ROCK!! How many enduros between the two cars and NO engine failures!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

David Boles at Atlantic Auto Works also does VERY nice VW engines, both IT and Prod. He does gearboxes as well.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

+1 for David Boles at Atlantic Auto Works. Great guy, excellent work, and will help you with any questions you have about anything !!!
    Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf

>> $9000

Oh my.. I had no idea he had gone that crazy. ~$2500 will buy you a perfect IT motor.
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

After a little research it looks like about $9000 for an IT engine. About 18k for a dry sump'd prod engine... I am going to hold out untill I get the car into prod. in the next few years.
    Aaron
    [/b]
    Not for nothing, but $9k for an ITB 1.8 VW motor? There&#39;s nothing in there that&#39;s worth that kind of money, I don&#39;t care what shop it comes out of. As Bill said, you can got a top-flight one for < 1/3 of that. And that&#39;s w/ a .040 over-bore and new forged pistons. You can&#39;t do that much to them for there to be that much money in them.

That all being said, I&#39;ve crewed for Kirk&#39;s car for a couple of years now, and there has NEVER been an issue w/ the motor (knock wood). Cameron builds some good stuff!

It isn&#39;t that there is $9K worth of parts in the thing. It would make sense to me if there is a line of vintage guys getting their atlantic and Super Vee motors done that are paying more than $9K.

Take my Honda Civic daily driver to Ferarri of Beverly Hills to get an oil change and I&#39;d probably have to pay much more for that "$40 oil change"-regardless of how much the oil and filter really cost.

It isn&#39;t that there is $9K worth of parts in the thing. It would make sense to me if there is a line of vintage guys getting their atlantic and Super Vee motors done that are paying more than $9K.
    [/b]
    True, but there is a lot of labor involved, fitting +.040 pistons and honing. Truing up the journals and rod prep and balancing. Crank/rod/piston balancing. Head flowing, valve guide sizing and valve grinding. Where do you stop?
    BTW, there IS a line of vintage and F/C guys paying more than $9K. Saw a fresh 2.0 xflow drysump on Ebay , guy wanted $20 large.
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II
    H prod, Chicago Region SCCA

We just did a leakdown and compression test on MkIII 2.0 that Cameron built for me and are VERY pleased with the results, after 40+ hours of beating the crap out of it. It&#39;s now broken in.

K
    [/b]

Sorry for the newb question, but who and where is "Cameron".

Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB