Thread: Level spot in garage for alignment?

I am wondering how to find a level spot in my garage. Seems every time I go to align my car and check the 4 places for the tires it's different. I know that's not possible. I am using a carpenter level. What is the easiest and best way. No point in doing camber, caster and corner weights if the car is NOT LEVEL Would appreciate some ideas. Thanks, NED

Try what I do in the paddock........... find the low wheel(s) and "shim" under them with various thicknesses of wood. Use of the carpenter level is fine to get the structure plumb. If you have your coilovers jacked and the ride height is off, you may have to alter the method to get the wheels all level.

If your garage is out by minimal amounts, it will not significantly affect most race cars. The thing you're really concerned with is changes in the stroke of the suspension; if you're running race spring settings (high spring rates) a one-degree tilt (for example) will not change that much at all.

It only becomes significant when you're corner-weighting the car, as small changes in tilt will affect weight transfer, and will easily be seen on the pads.

I suggest that as long as your camber gauge can adequately compensate for that tilt, you're fine.

I went through this exercise several times, becoming more and more frustrated each time I couldn't get the readings (camber) to repeat. And I while I might agree in principal with what Andy had to say, his term "minimal amount" leaves a lot to be desired. Let's quantify... I've found that 1/4 inch difference in floor elevation across a diagonal (e.g. LF to RR) will screw up camber readings beyond belief, particularly with an IRS vehicle. And as for corner weighting, even at half that variation, you might as well not bother. And there are many, many garage floors that will simply not meet that criteria.

I finally bought a good builder&#39;s laser level and found a basically level area of the shop, drew 4 squares in that area for the 4 tire patches, then leveled to perfection (< 1/32") with thin (cheap) 12" x 12" floor tiles. You&#39;ll know you have it right when you can corner weigh the car, then put it back on the same spots but headed the other direction, and come up with essentially the same corner weights.

As an aside, I once found the RR tire to be 2 or 3 psi lower than the other 3 tires in the middle of a corner weighing session. I aired it up and watched with amazement as the corner weights changed drastically. Be sure you&#39;re at target HOT tire pressures before you do any of the above.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Thinking about this............

You can probablly make some levelling pads using....

2X12 wood and some 3/8

Tee-Nuts

and levellers:

Like Gary, I drew 4 squares on the floor but used various thinknesses of wood, plywood and tiles to shim up 3 of the scales. The wood was used mainly for a mini platform type roll off area behind the scales. This is for zeroing and bouncing the suspension after making and adjustment.

Now that I have adjustable rear spring perches I can dial in the corners a little easiler.

Tom Sprecher

***I am wondering how to find a level spot in my garage. What is the easiest and best way.***

Ned, do a Google search for "water level". Works anywhere, above temperature of 32* F , accurate, repeatable, small, safe, cheap..........

Have Fun
    David

EDIT: I just type like a pompous ass! I built a new garage.... :P Ok, Joe, how do you keep the dirt floor level?

I built a new garage.... :P
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

But how flat is flat?

+/- 1/8"? 1/16"? 1/32"?

+/- 1/8 sounds like too much, but +/- 1/32 and you could have that variation in the tires if they are worn.

I&#39;m curios how far people go before deciding &#39;good enough&#39;.

Matt