Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with the no station wagon rule?

What's with this rule? To me, station wagons are just sedans with a longer roof. Not to mention that a few modern station wagons are marketed directly to our demographic: the Audi A3, the Mazda3 "hatchback", even the Scion xB. These are all station wagons by the common market definition even if the manufacturers are avoiding the term.

Is there some good reason for the ban?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I've often wondered about that one myself, particularly since it is unique to IT. Also, there is a glaring incongruity within the ITCS on this subject... one of the opening paragraphs (9.1.3.C) specifically addresses updating and/or backdating by using station wagon components.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

According to Prof Knestis on another board:

"The argument against wagons was based on the olden-days practice of putting "towing package" or other heavy-doody parts in them, that the sedan equivalents didn't have. While I'd tend to agree with the earlier suggestion that it was just "they ain't sports cars" bias, when we made an inquiry with SCCA Global HQ in CO (working on our own regional IT rules, before the national set got published) we were told that there was a worry that station wagon parts would be an unfair advantage.

Now whether this was EVER really an issue with Datsun 510s, Mazda RX3s, and Dodge Colts is open to question..."

According to Prof Knestis on another board:

"The argument against wagons was based on the olden-days practice of putting "towing package" or other heavy-doody parts in them, that the sedan equivalents didn't have. While I'd tend to agree with the earlier suggestion that it was just "they ain't sports cars" bias, when we made an inquiry with SCCA Global HQ in CO (working on our own regional IT rules, before the national set got published) we were told that there was a worry that station wagon parts would be an unfair advantage.

Now whether this was EVER really an issue with Datsun 510s, Mazda RX3s, and Dodge Colts is open to question..."
    [/b]
    I don't know but I think I would like to draft off one of these.....
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Draft a Datsun 510 wagon? Naahh... way too small to push (or pull) any serious air. Think Volvo 145!
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

FWIW, back in the mid '80s, Overton Motorsport ran a Volvo 740 Turbo wagon in the SCCA Endurance Series.

Personally not crazy about the idea, but what the heck. Not sure that the "tow package" would be any big advantage as they usually only consist of alternate springs, larger radiator & maybe an oil cooler. All of which are open in IT anyway. One thing for sure, the guy who does yer roll cage is gonna love ya. :026:

I would love for "Wagons" to be included in the mix... I am sure that the ITAC would look at each car individually and class/weight accordinlgy.

Taking it a step further I would love to see the small pickups included as well... basically the ITT type we see running around from time to time, esp in the southeast!!!

Bring it!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I saw a Subaru "wagon" either win or place up front (don't recall which) in Grand-Am last July at Barber. Wet track.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Everyone knows what a station wagon is:

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I wonder what the Family Truckster would go for at Barrett-Jackson? :P
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

station wagon? Try just about every SUV out there...Escalade? station wagon...Excursion? you know the drill...
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

I wish they would allow station wagons. I want one just like the neighbors had in the early '70's. It was an Oldsmobile with simulated wood panels on the side and the stepped roof line had glass windows in the step. Great for seeing the green.

It had fold down sideways mounted seats in the very rear of the thing. Nobody worried about seat belt useage back then.
    Tom Sprecher

I though I was going to get banned from the region when I asked about an IT truck class something like Atlanta region's. Good luck on the wagons. Resistance to change seems to be thoroughly imbedded in this organization
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

If any of you guys know Dave Blum at Pete Krause's shop in Raleigh, NC, he just finished up (or it looked that way when I saw it) a burnt orange mid 80s Ford Fairmont station wagon. It is way cool. I think he intends to run it in NASA's American Iron series.

I, for one, am pulling for it.

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Awwww hell, here I come!!!! How many people here know they made those raise your hand?

I love that car. But I don't think that's a station wagon (only 2 doors), but then, the term is not defined either. Frankly it's a lot like the Z3 Coupe I'm building right now, so I hope it's not a station wagon :-)

Let's just suppose for a moment that we removed the "no station wagon" wording but changed nothing else. What would be the effect?

A quick look through the IT listings shows the following cars that would now be legal:
    ITS Volvo 850 GLT wagon
    ITA Mazda RX-3 wagon
    ITA Mazda RX-4 wagon
    ITB Ford Pinto/Mercury Bobcat wagon
    ITB Volvo wagons
    ITC Honda Civic wagons (early)
    ITC Datsun 510 wagons

And maybe a few others that I missed during my quick scan. There are other wagons that COULD be allowed, but the listings explicitly show body types that would exclude them.

Are we really afraid of these wagons? Don't some people think that a volvo wagon could be a pretty cool ITB car (although not faster than a sedan equivalent, due to the weight and location of the additional glass)?

I don't think any one of these cars would be faster than their alternate-bodystyle equivalents. I just question why the ban would be there? If the ITAC really was concerned about some particular wagon variant being too fast, then it can have its own spec line with its own weight, or as today for some cars, that body style could be excluded from the listings.

Would anyone have a problem with that?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Bring on the wagons!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Awwww hell, here I come!!!! How many people here know they made those raise your hand?

[/b]

THEY'RE HERE !

Josh,

Gee, I don't know but it looks like you've got a station-wagon on your hands

BTW, congratulation on the birth of your son.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

IIRC, didn't a Volvo 850 wagon win the British Touring Car Championship about 10 years (or maybe a little more) ago?
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

IIRC, didn't a Volvo 850 wagon win the British Touring Car Championship about 10 years (or maybe a little more) ago?
    [/b]
    Yes, in '94 I think.