Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zekert Excluded from CRB Town Hall by SCCA Pres. New Topic Reply to Topic

All well and good. What the bylaws do NOT state, nor could they under law unless voted on and approved by the affected members, is that the club may impose a fee for attending the annual meeting.[/b]
    "Presence and voting by proxy may be allowed at the discretion of and in accordance with rules prescribed by the Board of Directors."

We voted on the bylaws. The BoD did not simply impose them by fiat. We have met the enemy and he is us.

As a member I have a right, enforceable in court, to attend the meeting and to demand inspection of certain club records.[/b]
    Ummmm... not under the CT statute that someone else gave as the basis. There may be a different statute that covers this.

You are entitled to go to the business office and obtain an alpha list of the members who are entitled to vote at a meeting. (Sec. 33-1070.

You are entitled to see certain corporate records at the business office, provided you have given them a 5 business day notice. (Sec. 33-1236)

I find nothing in Sec 33 of the CT Code giving you the right to attend a meeting except in accordance with the bylaws of the organization holding the meeting. The SCCA bylaws do not so state.

There are rules on voting, both in the statute and the bylaws. For example, if SCCA wants to sell any part of ProRacing, it has to be done by a membership vote.

To the extent the bylaws purport to give the directors discretion to restrict attendance at the annual meeting then such provision is unenforceable.[/b]
    The annual meeting is open to all members, provided they register and pay the fee. Neither the statute nor the bylaws prohibit setting a fee. Please cite the section of either the code or the bylaws that prohibit it.

Now, if they tried to require that you be present to vote, then you might have a point, but AFAIK, it has been a long time, if ever, since the BoD has put anything at the Annual Meeting to a vote. It's all just discussion and reports.

jjjanos, review the CT statutes again. I have the right to inspect certain documents at or before the meeting, and the right to request the court to postpone the meeting if I am not allowed this inspection.

Please name any other public corporation that charges a fee to attend its annual shareholders meeting.

I submit that Article III, Section 4 of the bylaws gives the board authority to prescribe when presence is required for voting or when voting by proxy is allowed. Any other reading is contrary to law. The statute requires an annual meeting, and as a voting member in good standing I have a right to attend. The club cannot keep me out, whether by trying to impose a fee or otherwise.

I would propose that the club hold the annual members meeting at the headquarters in Topeka at a different time of the year. This would require amending the bylaws, but it would remove the issue of having to pay the convention fee just to attend the annual meeting. I agree with an earlier poster that it doesn't make much fiscal sense to incur all the costs to move the headquarters to Topeka, presumably to consolidate everything, and then pay for staff to travel to Texas for the convention.

Please name any other public corporation that charges a fee to attend its annual shareholders meeting.[/b]
    We aren't public. Public corporations have different rules. It's MM that they charge to attend, but there has been a fee for as long as I can remember.

The statute requires an annual meeting, and as a voting member in good standing I have a right to attend. The club cannot keep me out, whether by trying to impose a fee or otherwise.Any other reading is contrary to law.[/b]
    Upon, yet again, re-re-reading the CT statute, I have to offer mea culpas and say that you are correct. They must allow a member in good standing to be present.

Anyone can attend the Annual meeting without paying the convention fee. They can attend the BOD Town Hall meeting as well. Peter did that, he got to ask questions. He was very respectful and passionate about his topics.

The next day he attended a few sessions, I never say him take any of the included breaks for coffee or soda. I never saw him at lunch. The next day he wanted to attend the CRB Town Hall. Mr. Julow offered him an option. Remain quiet during the town hall and if time remained and no body had questions he would be allowed to ask a question. He decided to register and he did pay a tiered fee which is not normal but, I believe they will offer that next year.

Alot of people attend on their own nickel. The BOD has to pay the registration fee just like everything else. Yes, we get some per diem but does not come close to footing the bill. They have held sessions for drivers at great cost and very few showed up. The staff decided to focus on region officials, volunteer workers, etc. What better way to communicate all that is involved in Club Racing, Solo and Rally to this group of people.

Anyone can attend the Annual meeting without paying the convention fee. They can attend the BOD Town Hall meeting as well. Peter did that, he got to ask questions. He was very respectful and passionate about his topics.

The next day he attended a few sessions, I never say him take any of the included breaks for coffee or soda. I never saw him at lunch. The next day he wanted to attend the CRB Town Hall. Mr. Julow offered him an option. Remain quiet during the town hall and if time remained and no body had questions he would be allowed to ask a question. He decided to register and he did pay a tiered fee which is not normal but, I believe they will offer that next year.

Alot of people attend on their own nickel. The BOD has to pay the registration fee just like everything else. Yes, we get some per diem but does not come close to footing the bill. They have held sessions for drivers at great cost and very few showed up. The staff decided to focus on region officials, volunteer workers, etc. What better way to communicate all that is involved in Club Racing, Solo and Rally to this group of people.
    [/b]
    Geez Mike, if you were 'done' w/ this on the Prod board, why would you dredge this up over here?