Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No ITR for the ECR series?

Well I must say you guys have a great series going (and some great tracks) if you are overflowing your enduros. Congrats.

Having said that, there are many ways to approach oversubsciption issues. If IT cars are included, ITR should be as well. Heck, if you can enter them legally in ITE, it makes no sense to not allow the real class.
    [/b]
    Truth be told some on the ECR board may have no clue the new class exists. They might even read this message board and get their heads out of their tails and fix the problem--who knows.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Seriously, if any class needs out of the ECR it is the damn SRFs. Every other car is production based sedans/coupes, adn then we have those little zipper zappers with tennis balls on antennaes so we can see them. If there is a class that is dangerous to the ECR, it is SRF.

I've got no dog in the fight because (a) ain't no way the TR8 is running 3 hours and ( don't have an R car, but I am shocked by this response to ITR. To me, it is just a natural progression of IT classing. Don't see why there is all the angst over this.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

It is quite sad to see this sort of reaction to ITR. IT needs ITR very badly, there is no doubt about that. What we don't need though is people in the decision making capacity that we have now that seem out of touch with what is going on. I have a feeling someone hit close to the truth when they stated the folks that made the decision probably doesn't know anything about ITR. Clearly not, if they think it'll be 5 seconds faster than the front runners in S.

And what if it was? Big deal, not different than Chet in the Orange BMW (and others) at VIR running 2:12s 2:13s - clearly at least more than 5s faster than the mid-pack of S at that time in history. Wasn't dangerous then, why now?

R

With respect to the powers that be, we all need to remember this is a 'invite only' endurance series. There are financial factors that have to be taken into account. Dropping SRF may make for the best racing but it may thin the field too much. I am sure it can be made to work without SRF but we do need to understand there may be some other factors in play. The sheer qty of SRF's generate big money.

I hope that Regions also understand that these IT classes have no other place to play other than Regionals and restricted Regionals. SRF would have 3 venues: the ECR, the SARRC and Nationals while ITR had only 1. Make it 2 and 2 and it's fair! Having said that, you could say the same thing about SM...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

True on SRFs and revenue 17 out of 62 cars at VIR in October were SRFs. ITR certainly could not make up the difference.

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

If I remember correctly they dropped ITC for a while because of lack of cars. Might want to contact the board with people who would actually run an ITR and let them know there is enough interest. Could go a long way towards getting it added.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

If I remember correctly they dropped ITC for a while because of lack of cars. Might want to contact the board with people who would actually run an ITR and let them know there is enough interest. Could go a long way towards getting it added. [/b]
    Steve,

Do you think they will allow ITR @ VIR in your May event? I'd really like to try and make that one if at all possible. Hopefully there won't be any major weather around like last year. LOL, just my luck they won't allow ITR.

Dan

Dan, the May event is a Double SARRC -- two spring races only. No ECR enduro. ITR is IN for all SARRC races this year. So you are good.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Dan, the May event is a Double SARRC -- two spring races only. No ECR enduro. ITR is IN for all SARRC races this year. So you are good. [/b]
    I can't wait! I feel the need for speed

I have just learned that inclusion in the ECR is done by REQUEST. It doesn't happen automatically when a class inside a category is added. ITC is still part of the ECR, they go by the same 2.5 cars per event average as Nationals.

If you want ITR as part of the ECR, and you drive one - or intend to drive one, write an e-mail to the ECR committee.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

If you want ITR as part of the ECR, and you drive one - or intend to drive one, write an e-mail to the ECR committee.
    [/b]
    Andy,

....Thank you for the information. I have emailed my request to [email protected] and hope that others will do the same.

....My BMW Z3 is almost ready.

True on SRFs and revenue 17 out of 62 cars at VIR in October were SRFs. ITR certainly could not make up the difference.
    [/b]
    Important to note that SRFs are only included in the "North" ECRs. No SRFs at any of the Florida track ECRs and the racing is much better. If I remember correctly the ECR rules specifcally state the SRF is an optional class.

I'd happily trade SRFs for ITRs as the SRFs have cost me $4K in repair, a new car and surgery to put pins in a broken hand the past couple of years when grouped with them (both in SARRC races). I've only had one issue ever with a faster (ITS) car that after I put aside my ego, I was able to admit was my fault not the faster car.

Of course there is no reason to have one or the other. There are only two ECRs a year that even get close to track limit (Sept. Sebring & Oct. VIR). Plenty of room for everyone. I'll be happy to send an email in support of adding ITR if it will help.

Gary Jenkins
    2006 SM ECR Champion

I'll be happy to send an email in support of adding ITR if it will help.

Gary Jenkins
    2006 SM ECR Champion
    [/b]
    Gary,

.... Of course if I don't run ITR I could always give you a run for your money in SM ....lol

ITR is about 2-3 sec faster than ITS at the front of the spear, ohboy, another short time drafting partner then away he went - been racing against ITS cars in ECR Series for past 5 years, fun, just have a LARGE panaramic rear view mirror and mirrors on both doors!! Still managed to win ECR Series championshio in ITC for the past 3 years. So I say let them race.

John Fine
    2004, 2005 & 2006 ITC ECR Champion

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but ITR (all IT classes as well as the new World Challenge "production" cars), are recognized in the USERA Endurance Championship. Our season opener is March 24-25 at Carolina Motorsports Park with a pair of 3 hour enduros (that you can run alone or with a co-driver), and both days give you about 4.5 hours are track time PER DAY.. all for the early entry fee of $350 per race. (www.usenduro.com)

We are firm on CMP in March, Iowa Speedway (following Koni Challenge) April 22, and Mosport in May 19-20. Additional dates are being finalized as we speak.

I also agree with the advice offered above. I served as a rep on the ECR Committee (don't get me started) and you do need to make sure your local ECR rep knows how you feel about car classifications. It's probably too late to make any changes for 2007, but you need to make sure your rep knows how you feel as he/she starts planning for 2008.

Again, I apologize for the hijack, but I wanted those of you interested in ITR to know that there are endurance racing options available to you in 2007.

The Carolina Cup Pro Series will allow ITR cars for the 2007 season (or at least part of it). An oversight on the part of the series caused the omission of ITR for our fist 2 events CMP and Rockingham. However, ITR will be added for our later events. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
    David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series
    www.murphymotorsports.net