Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting married vs. Racing............

After my divorce, I had a number of relationships break up over "the car thing." Finally, I learned to be up front about it, and developed "the $50 speech" which got delivered early on in the relationship. I went like this:

"Honey, if I have $50 to spend and it's a choice between taking you to dinner and getting a part for the car, we're going to White Castle."

When Jean answered "Cool, I like White Castle" I almost proposed on the spot.

Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Sure...gloat about White Castle...I'm now a friggen 6 hour drive to the nearest White Castle.

Next time you bring a batch of Jell-O shots to the track, you damn well bring a couple of bags of 'sliders', too.

Sure...gloat about White Castle...I'm now a friggen 6 hour drive to the nearest White Castle.

Next time you bring a batch of Jell-O shots to the track, you damn well bring a couple of bags of 'sliders', too.
    [/b]
    Ladies and gentlemen, what we have here is the painful sight of a man going through death burger withdrawal, cold turkey.

EDIT - Time to start driving, John. When I lived in North Carolina I would occasionally get the urge and make the 11 hour trip for some. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving - boy, the inside of that car got real small on the trip back to NC......
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

I always get some sliders when I go visit my parents in NY. the frozen ones just are not authentic enough for me.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

"... all YOU are left w/is a rusty minivan & a plastic bag of dirty socks."

You got the rusty minivan AND a plastic bag of dirty socks??? I gotta use your lawyer next time!!!

Notice to all:
    After a great deal of consternation and gnashing of teeth, the deed has been done! After reviewing all of the information provided and the fact that she didn't complain about the cost of the rebuild on the 12A coming right in the middle of paying for the wedding, the knot was tied on 2/10 at 14:00. Thanks to all!

Scott "Righty" Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

Congratulations! We going to see you both up here in Ohio in August?
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Hmmm.............will have to ask Captain Who and Honey. Honeymoon in Ohio in August..............might be able to make that one fly!
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    CCR BoD
    F&C

Hmmm.............will have to ask Captain Who and Honey. Honeymoon in Ohio in August..............might be able to make that one fly!
    [/b]
    We ought to look into rentals, then. I don't really want to drive from Atlanta to Ohio, much less tow the race car(s).
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

one of the funniest threads I've ever enjoyed........

I was upfront with my fiance, and she was upfront with me. I was autocrossing and crewing on an SSC team while we were dating, and she was complaining about it then. She hates racing - does not get into it at all - has no interest in ever getting into it. She absolutely cannot stand any penny being spent on racing, and does not want to be around cars. She made me sell some of my favorite cars because I "spent more time under the car than I did under her". (Funny, she didn't get pregnant until after I sold all the Shelby Dodge Turbo cars ).

We've now been married 15 years - and she still hates it. I now club race occasionally. When I got my first victory, she could have cared less, but she bought a cake and had my parents over for dinner to celebrate when I got home, because she knew it was a big deal to me.

Then last year, I finally got her to come to a race to watch me! She loaded up all the kids and brought them 3 hours to the track. I wrecked out halfway through lap one, ruining a perfect race car <_< (maybe I&#39;m better off without her at the track!)

Despite not being a racer, she is the rock in my life, and despite the fact she hates the hobby I am passionate about, I can not imagine my life without her. Ultimately she puts up with the racing because she loves me. And that is what matters, and that is why we&#39;ll still be married in another 15 years.
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

Ultimately she puts up with the racing because she loves me. And that is what matters, and that is why we&#39;ll still be married in another 15 years.
    [/b]
    You don&#39;t carry a big life insurance policy, do you?
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

She&#39;s always upping the amount of coverage , but she hasn&#39;t offered to work on the brakes yet
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

she hasn&#39;t offered to work on the brakes yet
    [/b]
    "Honey, these IT cars are soooo slow we don&#39;t even need brakes ... we just coast through the corners."
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Notice to all:
    After a great deal of consternation and gnashing of teeth, the deed has been done! After reviewing all of the information provided and the fact that she didn&#39;t complain about the cost of the rebuild on the 12A coming right in the middle of paying for the wedding, the knot was tied on 2/10 at 14:00. Thanks to all!

Scott "Righty" Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org

[/b]

Congrats!

Getting married was the best thing I ever did.

My only piece of advice is be consistent and do not change your racing habbits - ever. When my wife starts to complain about the time I spend at the shop or how much money racing costs I remind her that she knew about the time commitment before we were married. I also never question her spending habbits either. This subject only comes up a few times a year and so far being consistent and fair has worked.

It helps that we were introduced by mutual friends that race and that I have my career because of another racing relationship as well.

Racing brought us together and keeps us going. We both understand that.

Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

I guess my take on this situation is a little different than many ... I&#39;m a second-generation race brat (I grew up at the track). I can&#39;t imagine marrying anyone who doesn&#39;t have a passion around racing.

Lucky for me, I met my husband at the race track. While we dated, he lived about 400 miles away from me, but we saw each other at races, divisional conventions, annual banquets, etc. We&#39;ve done lots of things together racing - from coast to coast.

We&#39;ve been happily married for 15 years now. There isn&#39;t a race car in our family yet - but he has dreams. We&#39;ve seen so many folks come and go - that we know trying to race on credit is a really bad thing. Once we get the appropriate cash reserves built up, he&#39;ll get his race car. I&#39;ve already got my house and RV. Those were goals #1 and #2.

Kelley Huxtable
    DMVR
    "Worker Bee"

IIRC, I met your husband at T7 at Road Atlanta during the Petit LeMans 2006. He&#39;s a NUT!! I&#39;d be happy to drive with him any time he wants...........and I&#39;d be honored to blue flag to his caution any day.

Scott "Righty" Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    CCR BoD
    F&C