Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you have for spares at an event??

Did any one say that green cap thing on the 5th gear end of the tranny? i lost one in topika. cant turn right any more.
    [/b]
    Good to see anothers view... Just wondering what this is you are talking about on the Audi???

You have a GT so you only need one axle, L or R its the same. [/b]
    I think you might be wrong on that one... check it out if you have an Audi, I thought all the '80's 2.2L front ends were basically the same, Quattro or not.

shifter parts seam to be the biggest prob with an audi. One control arm there the same L or R (all the same on a 4000Q) the front struts are HUGE and bulky, rear panhard bar, Pre fuel pump filter
    [/b]
    Agreed on most all that stuff... The front struts are huge and bulky, but wheel bearing failures are an issue... so unless you can change one at the track you may want to bring a "loaded" strut housing with a whellbearing in it.

timing belt tentioner OR water pump, cam seals, INTAKE BOOT,
    [/b]
    Not sure that these would fail at the track sidelining you...

Raymond "Just my thoughts from experience, not trying to be critical" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

NO the audi dosent have the green cap. sorry for the confusion. Also i have removed a rear control arm off a quattro and put it on the front of a 4000, ALL four are the same.(on a quattro). i have owned LOTS of audis, and VWs, i fix them for a living. i am not so good at joking i guess, the water pump is the tentioner. i replace them all the time. I have also had cam seals pop out at the track. THE AXLES ARE THE SAME i am looking at 2 right now.

Nice to meet ya
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

NO the audi dosent have the green cap. sorry for the confusion. Also i have removed a rear control arm off a quattro and put it on the front of a 4000, ALL four are the same.(on a quattro). i have owned LOTS of audis, and VWs, i fix them for a living. i am not so good at joking i guess, the water pump is the tentioner. i replace them all the time. I have also had cam seals pop out at the track. THE AXLES ARE THE SAME i am looking at 2 right now.

Nice to meet ya
    [/b]

I think you are correct on the A-Arms.... As for the Axles, I know on our '84 coupes they are different... I am going to have to look closer to see why this would be different on a newer "Coupe GT" as we have had several cars as well. I am not sure what else would have changed to make them equal? Can you tell what is different between the earlier cars and later cars? If not maybe others can chime in?

I am not questioning you, I am trying to educate myself on what is different...

Raymond "hope to see the F-Prod 81 scirocco someday, cool car" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

my parts source is listing the 4000,80,90 haveing the same axles left and right,BUT they dont list coupe? the Quattro has a left and a right. I would give my left........for a Quattro coupe..... I love audi, i have had an 81 and an 87.

My 81 scirocco has been put on the shelf till next winter, i traded a 92 golf for a 88 scirocco that needs a cage and front struts, and it will be an IT car, its a little more cost efective to start over than go prod right now.

Lael
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

bringing that many parts with me, I just bring replacements for whatever I think might get damaged.