Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for IT to go national?

Since I mentioned my idea of the ARRC being a case study: When I was considering going to the ARRC in '05, I was very intimidated by the thought. I kept thinking I totally be out of my league. The thought of me showing up with my rusty car on a tow dolly next to some of those huge rigs. Let's just say I made numerous excuses of why I couldn't go .....[/b]
    Hmmm. well, what if.........what if you'd been racing around New England, and you had done pretty well, scored some good finishes, and you looked at your points accumulation and saw you were in the eschelon that got a Runoffs invite?? You'd be less intimidated, I'd think.* ..

and the only reason I did was because Melissa convinced me that one day I would look back and regret it. [/b]
    You have a great wife........ .... nice choice.

...At that same time without the money, it is not possible to obtain a nearly optimum racing package (driver and racecar).

[/b]
    Agreed, my point was that it's not JUST about money...it's all relative.

* The upside to earning a spot at the Runoffs, as opposed to just showing up at the ARRCs is that you earned it, and you know you should be there. The downside is the need to follow the system that takes you to different tracks all over the area, and that can get $$. The silver lining to the travel aspect is that the guys who don't care to follow the National "tour" just stay near home and race, and they don't lose sleep when the fast guys are no shows because they only race where they have to to make the show. On the other hand, that has a downside too...less competition at some races. The joy of the ARRCs is the fact that you just show up. We'd have to have like 62 cars before we start worrying about qualifying for the IT_ race!

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I do wonder what would happen if the fast drivers with goobs of money and development in their cars becomes much more of the norm. I can't help but wonder what I would have done when looking into IT if that were the case. I do know it would have been more intimidating to start racing. [/b]
    I've said this before, and I stand by it: I don't think that the average IT car at your average regional race would look any different than it does today. People run National schedules don't have the time or money to also run regional weekends (unless they are combined regional/national races).

Look at the T2 cars that show up to your regionals. Would they be out there winning nationals? In general, no. Same for IT.

There are exceptions to every rule of course, but generally speaking, I think you'd raise the popularity and awareness of IT, without affecting "the little guy."

Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

My comparison was the large number of top drivers at the ARRC has could become the norm at regional races. For an outsider, their perceived barrier to entry may be greater. I could be wrong here, but that did come to mind.

(It wasn't a comparison of the ARRC to the Runoffs.)

Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I used to think it would be cool to have our races on TV a 3:30 a.m. LOL

(Not picking on you Bill, but other than for other IT drivers does the t.v. time really mean much given aired time?)

[/b]
    No problem. I was just speculating. And, by the way, I did try to watch all the runoff races this year, 1) to watch some of my friends, 2) to watch some great racers, 3) to watch some under dogs really shine, and 4) hopefully to see some great races (there were one or two).

As to the backmarkers being intimadated by the front of the fields and dropping out....

Racers will stop racing when is stops being fun. Period. Dot. Dot. Dash...... For whatever reason, including hassles from the family.

I was lucky enough to live within earshot of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at a point in time when some of the cars were brought to the track in open trailers, not big rigs.

I race at Mid-Ohio with 4 of the 6 fastest ITA cars at the ARRC. And when I get the car to a point where it is dependable, I will start racing farther away from home - LRP, WGI, Pocono, NHIS where I cut my teeth 40 years ago, ORP - don't know why except it was my home track for 10 years, and yes, Road Atlanta for the ARRC.

Last October I spent $400 - $500 for the weekend and did not get to complete one lap (clutch grenade) but having the guys on the hill pitch in an try to get me out was worth... as the ad says - priceless!

That is what IT racing is about. I don't think that making IT a National class will change that a bit.

Another thing that makes IT what it is, is the rules package (others have said that in this thread). I was thinking about trying to get in some more seat time with another sanctioning body, but I am intimidated by trying to add up and subtract all the points just to find out what class I would run in.

Here's what I think will happen if IT goes National. Some people will race Regionals, like they do today. I love the idea of regional that are enduros an plan to run one at some time. Some will go the National route, if the Runnoffs is their goal, or if they like longer races. Some will do both. Whatever, we will have a group of classes that gives a racer has a broad range of choices at a reasonable price (ok, nothing in racing is reasonable, relatively resonable then?)

The term 'entry level' is very relative. What's entry level to one person may be out of reach for another. I remember a HP Sprite driver who's wife got a big enheritance and bought a Lola T70 and went Can-Am racing. Where you jump into racing depends on your goals and your budget. I also remember drivers who could have bought (and did later buy) an Indy car team but started their race career in a G-Prod Spitfire.

Sorry, rant mode off. I am not angry or upset at anyone's points of view. I just hope to add my views on where IT should be going.

Love you guys. Can't wait till August!

Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

***I was lucky enough to live within earshot of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at a point in time when some of the cars were brought to the track in open trailers, not big rigs. ***

Bill, did you ever see Roger someone from Minnesota who came to indy with his car in a yellow converted school buss. Maybe in the 60's.

Have Fun
    David

Bill, did you ever see Roger someone from Minnesota who came to indy with his car in a yellow converted school buss. Maybe in the 60's.

Have Fun
    David
    [/b]
    Dave: I moved to Indy in 83. There was a group from Michagan that came in a school bus and parked down the block for us - AJ Foyt fans.

Come to the IT Fest and I can share a bunch of stories.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

***Come to the IT Fest and I can share a bunch of stories.***

Bill, ^ could be fun. I worked for Bowsher during 68, 69 & 70 & you know who was contracted to drive one of his cars. Stories galroe about that driver from Texas.

Have Fun
    David

OK, folks, after benching myself for a few days for "conduct unbecoming", I am ready to settle down & deal w/issues in a little different light. Tho I have known it for a long, long time, I still occasionally forget that the right things can, indeed, be said the wrong way.

To those who personally took me to task:

Knestis ... Probably the one comment that really hit home.

Bill Miller ... Please do not confuse my enthusiasm for the IT class of racing w/the ravings of the village idiot (tho, in hindsight, it would have been easy to do so this time).

Jake ... I assume that the "hint, hint" was directed at me. Sorry, I thought that a PM has a name attached like any other email.

Andy ... As you are already aware, I have some issues that the CRB needs to correct. I will PM them to you individually as they do not apply to this thread.

The "downside" w/these types of forums is that just about everything discussed would make for no more than a lively dinner conversation, but w/out facial expressions & conversational inflections, they can, & do, take on a more adversarial tone.

Pardon me, but I have to get back to sweeping up this mess I made.

Jake ... I assume that the "hint, hint" was directed at me. Sorry, I thought that a PM has a name attached like any other email.[/b]
    Actually, the only way we know who you are, is if you use your real name as your handle or your signiture. This board is pretty good that way, as most do one or both. Other boards have people hiding and masquerading as who knows what, and I think credibility suffers. I sign my name, list my car, and my location as well as my email, so there should be no trouble figuring out who I am and contacting me.

The "downside" w/these types of forums is that just about everything discussed would make for no more than a lively dinner conversation, but w/out facial expressions & conversational inflections, they can, & do, take on a more adversarial tone. [/b]
    Right, but there are tons of upsides, and people who couldn't get a word in edgewise in a dinner converstation with a boisterous crowd can be heard here. I find the forum to unearth some pretty good points.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

"Actually, the only way we know who you are is if you use your real name ..."

Check yer email for, as Paul Harvey says, the REST of the story.

"Right, but there are tons of upsides ..."

That's why I only used a singular version of "downside".