Thread: ITCS Virtual Library

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If I remember correctly IT started in CalClub as a Solo 1 or Solo 2 class back in 1980. I rembember that because I ran a V6 Capri in ITA (Damm I'm old!)
    [/b]
    My first car was a '72 Capri I bought in '79 before I went to college. It was a 2 liter just like what they run in FC these days.

The first time I joined the SCCA I wanted to race an RX-7. I bought a '93 GCR when they came punched for IBM PC software documentation binders. Anybody remember when software came with documentation?

Fourteen years later I could finally afford to go racing and guess what I chose to drive?
    Tom Sprecher

I bought a '93 GCR when they came punched for IBM PC software documentation binders. Anybody remember when software came with documentation?
    [/b]
    Somewhere around here, I've got a number of actual original IBM manuals from back then. An IBM PCjr Technical Reference Manual, user manuals for DOS 1.x and 3.x, and I think an old Advanced BASIC manual.

Edit: I learned 8086 assembly language from reading the BIOS source code in the original IBM PC Technical Reference manual and typing code in by hand in DEBUG.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

My first car was a '72 Capri I bought in '79 before I went to college. It was a 2 liter just like what they run in FC these days.

The first time I joined the SCCA I wanted to race an RX-7. I bought a '93 GCR when they came punched for IBM PC software documentation binders. Anybody remember when software came with documentation?

Fourteen years later I could finally afford to go racing and guess what I chose to drive?
    [/b]

Damn Tom, I pretty much did the same thing, except I bought mine after I was in college. One of my fraternity brothers bought a '74 2.8 V6, and I thought it was the coolest (his older brother had one of the original 1.6 cars). I had a '69 bug that finally rusted away, and I needed something new. I found a guy selling a '72 Capri 2.0 that needed a drive shaft, and I bought it for $250. Found a j/y drive shaft for $50, and slapped it in and away I went. I had some really fun times in that car!!! It really was a POS, but it was MY POS and it was a fun POS!!! The car was 7 years old when I got it, and the rear fender arches were totally rotted away. The transmissions sucked, and the 3rd gear synchro was toast. And don't even think about opening the rear pop-out windows, as they would just fall out. But a damn fun car, none the less. Last one I saw as a street car was about 4 years ago at the Longest Night at Moroso. They were neat, that's for sure.

Sorry, forgot the topic of the thread. I'd LOVE to see all the ITCS's from the beginning. I think I've got them from 2000 on.

And let's not get into the old software thing. Yeah, I had IBM and MS docs that came in 3-ring binders. The first computer I ever worked on was an old IBM 1130 where we wrote Fortran programs on punch cards!!!! Ok, that was in HS! I took a BASIC course on an old HP 2000F that still had physical core memory!

[quote]
    Anybody remember when software came with documentation?

I think I have an unopened copy of IBM PC DOS 1.0 or 1.1 around. I know I have a shrink wrapped box of 5 1/4" floppies! and a couple of key punch cards, and my System 360 Reference Guide!, and a couple of old plug board connectors (used them for aux wiring on my first car). Oh, yeah, and indicator lights were the bulbs and sockets from a System 360 operator console.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com