Thread: Looking share a trailer in SoCal

Hey fellow Los Angeles racers;
    I’m looking to own with one or two others an open trailer. I expect to use it only eight times a year, five of them being NASA race weekends. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
    John

Thanks,
    JWM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HERE ARE MORE DETAILS ON MY IDEA:

I’ve located a few used 16-18 foot open trailers and I want to own one of them. The rub is that I really can’t justify paying for it all seeing that I will only need to use it a few weekends a year, but each time I rent on it cost about $100… What to do??? Own a trailer with other(s) who feel the same way I do!

Here’s the deal; we purchase it and own it in partnership (there will be a contract document). All costs excluding damage caused when being used will be shared equally. I may even have a very cheap place to store it for around $50/mo), it is in Northridge, Ca.

I expect to use it only eight times a year, five of them being NASA race weekends.

Ideas? Thoughts?
    Let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks,
    John

Thanks,
    JWM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John,

I'd recommend saving yourself the headache and picking up a used one for $500-700 and it is YOURS. You can use it anytime you need to, beyond just NASA weekends. Like when you need to trailer the car to annual tech, or to the muffler shop, or to get it aligned, or whatever. Don't have to worry about when your partner needs it on conflicting weekends.

You won't have to worry about scrambling to load up Friday night only to discover that your partner broke a tail light lens or spliced into the harness to make it work on his "other" tow vehicle.

In sue happy California, you also need to think about the possibility of liability for someone elses' actions with a trailer that you are part owner of.

Buy the trailer for 1/2 price of a new one and you are ahead after a season when you factor in rental costs and extra time involved in picking up/dropping off the trailer. Keep it for a few years and you're miles ahead.

I crewed for a Rally team that borrowed a trailer before every event....what a pain for them that was.

i aggree completly, many times i buy stuff that i only use one time just because i can do as i wish and not worry about tearing up or hurting freinships, buy a trailer and be done with it, or rent one for the week end.

Good points guys... I plan on owning it under my LLC to help offset any liability but the scheduling conflicts (which will happen) would be a pain in the arse.

J

Thanks,
    JWM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If yer gonna use it for 8 weekends a year, that's a fair amount of trailer use & worth the expense of owning one outright. Also, w/that # of weekends, you can almost bet there will be a conflict at some point. That trailer has a value of whatever, but as for friendship & feelings ... Priceless!!!