Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roebling Road Double School

...and a HINT. Get in line early for the final steward's logbook review and sign off. I was - literally - last because I was packing up and I didn't get out of the gate until well after dark. They WILL spend a bunch of time with all 60-whatever of you, individually.

K
    [/b]
    Thats a good tip -- see, I am getting faster already!

adamb
    \\
    Adam Breakey
    2002 SSC Mazda Protege Mp3
    Founder: http://www.autocrossforum.com

Pray for good weather.

I remember last years school.....Saturday high of what???25 degrees with a 30 mph wind....oh and the rain....can you say a river run through it!!

but it was a lot of fun and great experiance in the rain.

Adam May was our chief instructor...i think...hope you have him again...great guy.

most of all have fun

Tim
    itc rabitt
    Tim Martin
    ITC VW RABBIT
    CFR

Pray for good weather.
    [/b]
    I am praying!!! The always reliable ( ) 10 day forcast at weather.com shows partly cloudy and 58* for Thurs and partly cloudy and 63* for next Friday.

Crossed fingers. I hope we get lucky!

adamb
    \\
    Adam Breakey

Pray for good weather.

I remember last years school.....Saturday high of what???25 degrees with a 30 mph wind....oh and the rain....can you say a river run through it!!

Tim
    itc rabitt [/b]
    Awwww, c'mon Tim, you know you're exaggerating...I know it got above freezing that afternoon

Just in case the memory was starting to fade, here's a little trip down memory lane: Roebling practice. And that was one of the better sessions (weather wise that is).

Man, us rwd guys were a bunch of panzies that day. The only upside is after that day I could honestly tell my friends a blew an A-Sedan's doors off

Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

...and a HINT. Get in line early for the final steward's logbook review and sign off. I was - literally - last because I was packing up and I didn't get out of the gate until well after dark. They WILL spend a bunch of time with all 60-whatever of you, individually.
    [/b]
    Do NOT even get me started. When I did the school (?2004?), on Sunday as we finished up, the weather forecast was for a snow/sleet/ice storm covering pretty much everything for a couple of hundred miles inland and north from the track. That is, the routes that the bulk of the students had to travel going home. And we stood in line, outdoors, in 40* weather, for freaking hours. There were a lot of highly agitated and seriously upset people in that line.

Oh, BTW, always take plenty of rain tires to Feb Driver's school at Roebling. And all your rain gear. And a bilge pump. And waders. Maybe SCUBA gear. Perhaps a boat, or rope to make a raft of your "slick" tires. Coast Guard emergency locator beacon.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Captain Who and I did this school together in 2003. He ain't exagerating. There was a mutiny waiting to do grave bodily harm to a person or two before we got out of there due to the excessive wait at the end of the day.
    In regards to the track time, I had an underpowered FWD car and had a BLAST!! Quite the reality check to get to T1 for your first "real" start and have the world disappear in the spray. Glowing taillights through the spray were the only way to tell where you are and where you're going. FUN!!!
    Take some method to keep your windshield clear, whether a Super Soaker, a rag on a stick, rub a sliced potato on the inside of the windshield, whatever. One guy got parked due to the assertion that the corner stations couldn't see him in the car, so he must not have been able to see them, either. (not kidding)
    Most of all, this is a SCHOOL not a race. Be safe, be observant, and have a good time.

Scott "Righty" Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

For you guys who have not been to RR yet, there's a couple of pretty decent in-car videos on You-Tube. Good way to get a taste of what the place looks like.

Just search for "Roebling Road" (duh).

Steve
    Steve Strickland
    2006 Mazda MX5- T4/ ITS
    1990 Honda Civic ITB
    2000 Mazda Protege ITB
    SARRC Comm Chair
    ITAC

Thanks to everyone that gave advice and pointers about the school. We got VERY lucky with the weather. It was basically sunny and warm the whole weekend (save one session for group 1 with some light rain). Also, thanks to Kolin for helping keep my car going all weekend and for the tips on turn 1/2!

I had a great time. I ended up with 257 miles of on track driving. I finished the school without any incidents at all and the car ran without a hitch. I wasn't the fastest ITA car out there (my car is still basically an SSC car), but I wasn't the slowest either. Pretty much a mid pack car/driver.

There were plenty of unfortunate drivers that went home with scrap metal though. I was amazed at the amount of bent cars. There were are couple of times where I was close to being taken out by a spinning car, but luckily I was aware and alert enough to avoid them.

It was great meeting you guys down there. Thanks again to those that helped. See you at a race soon.

adamb

\\
    Adam Breakey

...There were plenty of unfortunate drivers that went home with scrap metal though. I was amazed at the amount of bent cars. There were are couple of times where I was close to being taken out by a spinning car, but luckily I was aware and alert enough to avoid them... [/b]
    first off, congratulations to all the drivers who got through the school!

yeah, there were some bonehead moves during the weekend but overall I thought you guys did pretty well. I didn't have a chance to say "hi", but I remember seeing your car. I was crewing for a friend's son in the #11 rx-7.

unfortunately, bent cars happen once in a while. the good news is you are in a pretty decent run group. A mid-pack ITA car will probably be mixing it up with the same people I race with. There isn't one who won't give you racing room.

Find me when the time comes to remove your "X" and I'll buy you a beer!
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    IT7R RX-7 #37 (build in process)
    1990 Classic Red Miata
    2004 "Winning Blue" RX-8

Mike -

Thanks for the congrats! I had a wonderful time meeting everyone. Lots of track time and loads of good fun. Below are some highlights from inside the Rex. Enjoy!

http://media.putfile.com/SCCA-Driver...-Roebling-Road
    Joe
    E' meglio bruciare, piuttosto che svanire lentamente

IT7 - #72 - www.joe-racer.com
    2006 SCCA SE Time Trials Champion / Street Mod