Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have you guys been seeing these cheap generators?

i'd been looking at Hondas but man these are tempting:

tab to page 7 at http://www.meijer.com/OnlineAds/default6.aspx?sid=22

$899 for a honda 2000i is pretty good for wow $99 on sale.

i know, its not good for much and is "dirty" power but the price sure tempts one. i could get this and a (insert name of next toy here).

HANS, fuel cell, data acquisition, laptop, etc.

a friend has one and has good luck with it albeit for just the 4 or 5 times he's used it since last fall.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

At that price it's disposable, but if it's louder than a Honda or Yamaha, I'll hate you.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

At that price it's disposable, but if it's louder than a Honda or Yamaha, I'll hate you.
    [/b]

Count on it being louder than just about anything. And I just can't see buying one that only puts out 1000 watts (if it does that).

Jeff Lawton and I bought a 9hp 4500-watt generator last year. Electric start, quiet Robin engine:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=90300

Refurb versions of these show up on sale there once in a while; I think we paid $399 plus a token shipping charge?

I'm not sure about the method used to rate the sound output, and any standardization, but the pinnacle of low noise is the Honda/Yamaha low noise versions. I have the 3000watt Yami, and it's pretty quiet, and many of us know of the Hondas. Specs:

The EU3000is maintains the impressive rating of 48 to58dB (less than that of common speech even at rated load), and it will run for up to 20 hours on a single tank of gas when used with the Eco-Throttle feature. This impressive generator provides 3000 watts of power and weighs only 134lbs. The Honda Inverter Technology makes this generator ideally suited for use with sensitive electronics (e.g., computer, fax, printer, telephone, stereo) because the generator produces a clean sine wave of energy that results in no surging. To prevent any possible damage to the unit, the Oil Alert will shut the unit off when the oil drops below a safe operating level. The available power is commonly used for the following typical electric devices:
    • Full Size Micro Wave Ovens
    • Larger Power Tools i.e. circular saw
    • Resistive Load Kitchen Appliances (i.e. Coffee Maker, Toaster)
    • Roof Top RV Air Conditioner
    • Emergency Home Back up power where no 220 power is required

At 79dB, the Robin (Gregs) is significantly louder. I imagine the cheap one is even louder.....and for 100 watts, the noise to benefit ratio seems out of line...

ALso, the top line models like the Yamaha, and now the Honda, have gone to inverted output of some form or another, which makes the power much more stable for sensitive devices.

Lastly, cheap things fail when you need them. So, buy two if you must buy this one, but camp far away from the rest of the paddock..
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I know this is getting away from cheap generators, but I just bought a Honda EU3000is for $1795.00 and its fantastic. I used it at Buttonwillow and kept forgeting it was on. It's that quiet! Also it has a battery and an ignition key, so none of that rope yanking.

How lazy am I?
    John Norris
    ITR E36 BMW "sprint car" & ITS E36 "enduro car"
    "I vas too fast for racing and too low for flying"
    Hans Stuck jr

I would really like to get something as quiet as the EU3000 but I would like to have something I can use at the track as well as backup at the house. Does anyone know of any unit that runs as quiet at the EU’s but has a 220 outlet.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

The one we bought (see above link) has a 220V outlet...

The EU3000 generators are really nice. They're not cheap, but they are nice. Small, compact, quiet.

Not sure what is going be that quiet w/ a larger output that doesn't have a Honda engine on it.

The Yamahas like mine have a boost feature that allows greater output for up to 10 seconds for startup of certain devices. But no 220 on that model. Up the line you get 220, but at 5400 watts, and 10db more noise.

My Yamaha cost what the comparable Honda cost, but included wheels, whcih were an extra cost option on the Honda. And calling these things portable can ONLY be done if you have two people or wheels.

(I just saw the weight, and now I know why I hate lifting it into the trailer so much...147 lbs!)
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

You lightweights. Only in hurricane country can one develop a true appreciation for stand-alone generators. One trailer for your car, and one for this baby (w/fuel of course):

30KW is enough to run the wine cooler, hot tub, 108" HDTV...
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

You lightweights. Only in hurricane country can one develop a true appreciation for stand-alone generators. [/b]
    i wonder if there is a natural gas hook-up at midohio? or should we get a diesel and tee into the tow vehicle tank?

i have seen some honda powered off-brands at sam's that was pretty good power/dollar vs. the all honda motor and generator.

but i have $15 in gift certificates for meijer that will be used for food if i don't buy the generator.

tom

nevermind, the cerificates are also good for barley pops.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

The one we bought (see above link) has a 220V outlet...
    [/b]
    yea that is too loud for the paddock
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

yea that is too loud for the paddock[/b]
    You sure? We've used it before and not had a complaint (and we asked). It's the same generator that Phil Phillips uses with Kirk's enduro efforts, and it's DAMN site quieter than all the others one around. Hell, I've seen some Car & Driver highway cruise interior noise levels around that...

I think you boys been drinking too much Honda Kool-Aid... but, hey, it's your money.

any single cylinder generator will be loud(er). They have to run at 3600 RPM and let out big blats. A twin or greater runs at 1800 rpm and thus whispers better.

The quality of generator is not measured in engine alone. The generator side can have various better features. Ideally, it'll be made with Nikasil iron or similar to get the best effciency at lowest mass.

You sure? [/b]
    I think a 78 db generator is placed carefully it is okay when cars are on course, but way to loud to run in the evening. I am willing to pay more to be less annoying, i just need the 220 outlet.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

. I am willing to pay more to be less annoying, ....
    [/b]
    And your friends will chip in.........but it IS a lot to aspire to, isn't it?

My generator, for those that know me and it, is the Yamaha...(No Honda KoolAid for me Greg, the Yami was a better product than the Honda at the time) is under 60db. That's 19 less than 79, and the way dBs work, (10 db is considered to be double the perceived sound, roughly), the louder generator is considerably noisier. Now, that said, it's quiet, compared with others, and thank god for that, LOL. In the big scheme, it's moderate. Not super quiet, but not obnoxious. But as Dick points out, in the evening, it's proximity could be annoying. To me,it was worth.the extra money to have the freedom to run it whenever, and the quality that will last years and years.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

It doesn't get you 220, but an interesting feature of the smaller 2000w Hondas is the fact that you can team two of them together to reach 4000w of output.

The one Greg mentions is certainly interesting--

The ultra-cheap one seems perhaps a little too cheap....but, $100 has probably been blown in worse ways.

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

yea that is too loud for the paddock
    [/b]

I don't know if that is or not. It says that it is 78db at 3 meters. What roughly 10'. THe Honda's are rated at 7 meters, roughly twice as far, at 59db for the EU2000i. I bet the 78db gets knocked down to maybe 68-70db in another 12 feet or so for List price difference of $1400. Now I understand that there is a huge difference between 69db and 59db, but if you put it behind your truck, facing it, you could get it down some more.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I was in the Field Artillery - Operations section where we had to operate 24hr a day. We ran generators to power lights, radios, etc.

One of the things that we were evaluated on when we went tactical was noise dicipline.

What we did was take four pieces of drywall, cut three so that they were just higher (maybe 6 ") than the generator, and long enough so they would form a triangle around the generator. Leave a small opening at the bottom of each joint for air to get in, and exhaust to get out. Place the last piece flat on top. This cuts noise considerably, and the openings leave enough room to vent so the unit does not overheat.

The pieces store flat for easy storage, and without any hinges, pins, etc. it takes about two minutes to put up and take down.

Some of that rigid foam insulation would probably work great as well.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com