Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91-94 Sentra (E/XE/CXE/SL/Limited Edition)

Thumbs up

Anyone knows how competitive was the 91-94 Sentra (E/XE/CXE/SL/Limited Edition) in ITA with 2250LBS and now that it is in ITB how competitive will it be with 2520 LBS.

Is there any LSD and higher Dif ratio Ring & Pinion for it?

Thanks,

Efrain
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

I don't know anyone that's built one of these close to the limit of the rules. However, for reference, the minimum weight on my ITA B13 Nissan NX2000 (the same basic chassis) is 2515. The GA-powered Sentra will have smaller brakes and significnatly less power.

So, delve into the results of the races up here in the Northeast in 2006 and compare my ITA times to the ITB times. Given that my strongpoint in ITA is power, and that the GA16 is not nearly so, you may find that an ITB Sentra could be a long row to hoe...

But, if you decide to do it, we can help. - GA

I've been running a '92 XE as an open track/time trial car for the past couple of seasons. It has all the handling problems of the SE-R models, but with 30 less horsepower

I suppose with a real IT engine build, you could get some more power out of it, but I don't think it'll approach the top of the pack hp/weight wise. The transmission from the NX1600 has a slightly taller final drive that definitely helps things, and I believe it's legal for IT. But the only real option for an LSD (as far as I know) is to use a Phantom Grip. I've heard rumors of a JDM transmission for the GA that came with a viscous LSD, but I've never actually seen one or heard first hand of somebody having one.

The brakes are going to give you real trouble. The stock fronts are smaller than the SE-R's, which are smaller still than the NX2000's. At 2500 lbs you're going to use them up fast. Luckily, in my time trial class I'm able to run the NX brakes.

As a poor but quick comparison, my fastest time at Lime Rock in the XE (new driver - only been at this a couple seasons, and the car could be developed quite a bit more for IT - excuses, excuses...) was a mid 1:07. What's your ITA record Greg, 1:01, 1:02? I'm not sure what the usual ITB times are at Lime Rock, but that's a track that low-horsepower cars can fare pretty well at if they keep the momentum up. At other tracks you're going to lose a lot more time to the higher hp/torque cars.

At least good donor cars are cheap, and much more plentiful than SE-R's. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line. jason dot howes at comcast dot net

Cheers,
    Jason

Hey, nice cage, Jason

My best time at LRP was in the two's; 1:02.6? 2.9? Don't recall specifically. ITB cars are doing 1:05s as I recall. So, with the same weight as my car - and the same suspension design - you'll have to muster enough ponies to only 3 seconds, relatively speaking. For reference, one time a long time ago I drove the NX at a PDA event with a seriously-plugged up exhaust (we were too loud and had to put in some baffling plates). I drove around LRP, foot flat to the floor except for Big Bend and the left-hander - and was doing mid-1:06s.

Another reference is NHIS. I hold the ITA track lap record of 1:15.6; ITB cars that same day were doing low-1:20s. How much power is worth 5 sec per lap? I really can't say.

Road Atlanta? My best race lap this year was 1:43.9; best ITB lap time was 1:48.0

As I wrote before, I'd be glad to assist anyone in trying this. The weight-setting process should be such that any car has a reasonable shot...

107's would put you just behind the front ITB cars at Lime Rock... Inorder to be competitive you need to be able to run 1:06's to have a shot at winning you need to be in the 105's. In order to actually fight for bragging rights though you need to be in the 1:04's on a good day.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Hey, nice cage, Jason

My best time at LRP was in the two's; 1:02.6? 2.9? Don't recall specifically. ITB cars are doing 1:05s as I recall. [/b]
    1:02.930

ITB cars need to be in the low 1:04's...but more common times are in the 1:05's during the summer months.

A car like this (handling defficient) needs to have some power potential...I bet it could...Kessler POWER!

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

1:04s...deep sigh.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

1:04s...deep sigh. [/b]
    And you say this because? You went 1:04.8 last May. Nothing left in the car or the driver?

Andy Bettencourt

I've never hit the 1:04s yet, at least that I know of. Or as Jake G. keeps reminding me, I could be a total dork and I did? (Please tell me I'm a dork and I did! LOL)

Jason, mid 1:07s is pretty darn good at HPDEs / time trials. Keep in mind that when you get some rabbit cars in front of you, you'll be pushing even harder. Once you get rid of some of those excuse items, you should be able to do decent at least at a track like LRP. Brakes won't be an issue at LRP either.
    Dave Gran

I've never hit the 1:04s yet, at least that I know of. Or as Jake G. keeps reminding me, I could be a total dork and I did? (Please tell me I'm a dork and I did! LOL)
    [/b]
    You are a dork. 2005 May event.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.j...773&highlight=9

1:04 flat is VERY doable in a ITB car at LRP. It's been done, and the track record is in the high 3's.

Andy Bettencourt

See!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD you you're a dork! When will you learn to listen to me???

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm sooo excited that I'm a dork! That is awesome. Wahoo! You made my day Andy. :026:

(Travis and I had a...well, run in and I wasn't too happy that day. I should have looked at the results sheet.)
    Dave Gran

I believe the sentra E with the right build would be competitive...I would love to build one. Just talk to Greg Amy as he has the most developed B13 chassis in the country. The GA16 is a nice motor. What about the NX1600? that should be an ITB car as well...
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Thanks Greg, that cage has served me well.

1:04's in ITB?!?! Man, that's flying. My 1:07 laps were flat out all the way around except for Big Bend and Lefty. So maybe with some engine work, and Hoosiers....

Hello guys I’m new to this forum so let me introduce my self at this point I have been driving at the local solo events a b13Nissan sentra Japan spec GA16DE no EGR stuff and my modification are the following (hotshots intake and headers),under drive pulleys, Jim wolf clutch and 7 lb fly wheel , Japanese transmition = lower gears and some of them are LSD not mine I think that b14 1.6 trannys have lower final drive, B14 cams and they are still Nissan original ga16de so they doesn’t have to be considered illegal for IT and ad couple of horses at the top and in the suspension department just regular poor mans stuff AGX hiperco springs ,ST bars,1996200sx brakes(you can get by they look almost stock) 4 point role bars and got my car on a diet and now weights 2070 pounds so most of the time I’m driving my grocery getter at a 1.5 mile road course with 12 turns so I have been racing against SE-R with more o less the same equipment but with about 300 pounds less, to make a long story short in a road race the fastest SE-R ran 1.34.2 for qualy and my best time at the same track was 1.33.8 which I never done that again and costed me my left rear view mirror but managed stay in the lower 34s since then so the big difference is weight along with the gears might be that answer but you can get a b14 tranny and change the equation and still have a stock Nissan tranny when you see them running together you must preserve momentum in order to get a good exit the but the SE-R is fast at the straight but when I get to the turns he looks slower than my car so they behave different I guess because of nose weight , in the straight I brake about 50feet later than the se-r weighting about 2400.

First, welcome! It's good to see another enthusiast on board.

Second: periods, paragraphs, and capitalization will go a LOOONG way to making your posts legible. My head is spinning...

Some things about your post that stick out. I assume you're interested in racing in Improved Touring:

>>> b13Nissan sentra Japan spec GA16DE

As we noted in the other thread, your car is legal in ITB. However, this engine may not be. Only US-spec engines are allowed, so you'll need to do some homework and make sure that your GA16 conforms to US specs. The intake manifold without EGR, for example, is probably not the same as used un the USDM cars.

Just do some homework

>>> (hotshots intake and headers),under drive pulleys, Jim wolf clutch...

All legal.

>>> 7 lb fly wheel , Japanese transmition = lower gears

Neither are legal for ITB. You can change your final drive ratio and can add a LSD, but gears must be stock.

>>> B14 cams and they are still Nissan original ga16de so they doesn’t have to be considered illegal for IT

Unfortunately, they are illegal. You can only use B13 USDM cams in your engine in ITB>

>>> suspension department just regular poor mans stuff AGX hiperco springs ,ST bars

Legal.

>>> 1996200sx brakes

Not legal.

>>> 4 point role bars

You'll need a 6-point cage...

>>> but you can get a b14 tranny and change the equation

Not legal...

You're enthusiastic enough, but you've fallen into a trap that many of us (myself included) have encountered: building a car before being fully aware of the rules (or, in your case, building it before deciding to go racing). We can certainly assist you in getting fully prepped, and with the 1.6L car you'll be able to find SCADS of replacement parts all over the place.

Let us know where you are and what your plans are, and let's see if we can't get you on the track soon... - GA

You're in PR, right?? Whats the track there? Post a few pics of PR IT action if you can!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I know the car have to be change in many ways, I have to tell you that I used this car for solo under nasa rules and the rules were different so I designed my car for SOLO and now I will start making my car IT legal thank for your help.

Talking

Hello Folks:

Here is a diagram of Ponce International Sppedway (aka El Tuque)

It does not get any more sea level than this. In turns #1 & #9 is where you either show your braking force or your swiming skills.

Thanks,
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

Talking

Here is enjoydride and an SE-R battling in turn #5 in a SOLO I event

Here you have plenty of action in a night race of all of the non-GT categories
    Copa Bosch 2006 Sabado Noche

Thanks,
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546