Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A1 Struts

I am having a hard time finding anyone who has race capable strut inserts for an A1 VW. I'm looking for a cost effective solution but really have not had any luck finding any solution. I've spoken to Bilstein and they were no help.

Has anyone purchased struts for an A1 recently?

Help!

maybe Weitec....

Try euro-sport...they list A-1 struts springs and coil over systems on there web site.
    Tim Martin
    ITC VW RABBIT
    CFR

I am having a hard time finding anyone who has race capable strut inserts for an A1 VW. I'm looking for a cost effective solution but really have not had any luck finding any solution. I've spoken to Bilstein and they were no help.

Has anyone purchased struts for an A1 recently?

Help!
    [/b]
    What is cost effective???

Also who did you talk to at Bilstien... They have a LONG history of providing a great product for VW's... I think that you will find they have the best "bang for the $" when it comes to a race capable strut insert. Take a survey the next time you are at the track on what VW have, most people wont be suprised to find Bilstins in most of them. Most VW racers use them for a reason. They are cost effective and perform extreamly well. You may want to give them another call.

Raymond "Bilstien Supporter" Blethen

PS: I used to run Koni's and had support, their "cost effective to some" product could not handle the requirements our cars had on the struts, thats why we went to Bilstiens. Much less expensive, and a far better product for our cars.
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Bildon or shine can get A1 struts
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II
    H prod, Chicago Region SCCA

Thanks guys.

Raymond, I called bilstein twice. The first time the person I needed to speak to was not there and never returned my call. The next time, the person I spoke to told me all they had was their stock strut (HD or sport) that could probably be revalved. I called them because of other recommendations I'd gotten here, so I was a little disappointed.

I called Bildon but have not heard back so I will try again on Tues. Also spoke to NueSpeed and have not heard back. I guess what is a little surprising is that I've not spoken to anyone who says "Oh yeah, we've got a solution for an IT A1 VW".

Thanks for the input and I'll keep trying.

As for what is "cost effective", I want something with good reliability and decent performance. Someone has listed on their website a full threaded strut assembly that is almost $300. That is more than I would like to spend. $150 for a reliable good performing insert would be acceptable.

Thanks again.

Rory

Someone has listed on their website a full threaded strut assembly that is almost $300. That is more than I would like to spend.[/b]
    Holy crud, dude. Depending on the damper that's a pretty good deal for an assembly; I'm spending nearly that just for an insert (and I have to fabricate the strut and provide all the other parts...) Hell, Eibach springs alone are $50 per corner.

You'll find that many of the front-running ITA and ITS guys are, in some cases, spending double that per corner...

They may be NLA, but I ran Bilstein Group I race struts on my old ITB car. I had Sports for the rear that were re-valved.

And I agree w/ what Greg said, $300/corner is not a whole lot for a race strut/shock.

Thanks guys.

Raymond, I called bilstein twice. The first time the person I needed to speak to was not there and never returned my call. The next time, the person I spoke to told me all they had was their stock strut (HD or sport) that could probably be revalved. I called them because of other recommendations I'd gotten here, so I was a little disappointed.

Rory
    [/b]

Rory-

I think what you want (and what everyone else has with the ITB VW's) is a re-valved HD or Sport strut incert. Th re-valving makes a huge difference, be sure to tell them exactly what spring rates you are running. We ran spring rates for a session that didn't match the valving in our Bilstiens, and we got some wierd numbers... It is VERY cost effective way to get a very good strut incert. Maybe some other VW guys can be honest in the reply, do you guys/gals run Sport or HD revavled Bilstiens are do you really have a "racing strut" built?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Raymond (and anyone else that may not know),

For an A1 VW, there is no difference in the valving between a Bilstein Sport and an HD. The Sports have shortened shafts, and are designed for lowered cars. The HDs have the same valving, but are designed for more of a stock ride height. That being said, I ran the stock Group I race valving for the front w/ a 650# spring, and ran 230/72 in the rear, w/ a 400# spring. I think the fronts actually had too much rebound valving for the springs I was running.

Shine used to carry Boge struts and shocks as well. When I was running the UMass car thats what we ran all the time and never had a problem with them. I think they were about $55 each but that was a couple of years ago. Bildon sells the Bilstein race struts and shocks but I thought threaded body shocks were illegal, but I could be wrong I haven't looked at IT rules in a while.
    Sam Rolfe
    TBR Motorsports
    #85 LPHP Scirocco

Shine used to carry Boge struts and shocks as well. When I was running the UMass car thats what we ran all the time and never had a problem with them. I think they were about $55 each but that was a couple of years ago. Bildon sells the Bilstein race struts and shocks but I thought threaded body shocks were illegal, but I could be wrong I haven't looked at IT rules in a while.
    [/b]

Sam,

IIRC, threaded-body shocks were made legal in IT at the start of the '06 season. I ran Boge struts on my street car, and I can't see them holding up to the rigors of track use. Certainly not w/ the kind of spring rates we use on race cars.

On my old mk1 ITB car I ran Koni Yellows with 550# front and 400# rear. The setup felt ok to me and I never blew out a strut..

On my mk3 I went with a nicer setup. I have Bilstein PSS9 coilovers (the B16 suspension on Bildon.com). I am however sending them into the Cali. service center to have re-valved for the new Hyper coils and hydrolic perches.

I have just about $550 into each corner with this setup and Just about $300 per corner in the rabbit.

Good Luck

zracer22 Guest

Koni 8610 1437 RACE Insert $159 each at Summit Racing and Cosmo Racing coilovers $160.00/kit for all four corners. http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...id=69&pid=1018

The Cosmo coilover is race tested and proven by the GTI Cup racers on the west coast.

Add to it the Koni Sports for the rear and you're looking at all four corners for under $750.

I have no experience with Cosmo, but I'd go with camber plates from Ground Control

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...tion.php/II=148

and coil-overs

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...tion.php/II=111

These guys are a known manufacturer, and I've used both of these products for years without any problems.

The Cosmo stuff looks more like "bling" rather than race products
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

zracer22 Guest

I agree on the ground control stuff. I've been using it for 10 years.

The Cosmo stuff has been used by the GTI Cup guys for a couple years and they are happy with them. I haven't heard of any failures.

I have a bunch of A1 stuff I would like to sell, I was going to build another car, but I think I will be taking this year off. I need to save money for a house and I think a wedding is coming soon, well in '08. But anyways, I wrecked my Rabbit and salvaged everything that was good. I am looking to sell everything. I have a fresh race motor,3 races on it , it is complete w/4 locked dif. transmission. Numerous transmissions, I have way to many of those, but at least 2 have lock diffs. And the rear beam is still good. The front struts are brand new and I know at least one camber plate is good.(billstien coilovers) And its all set up, and when I got the car I was told not to touch the suspension, so we didnt, and we manged to set 2 track records with that car.

Like I said I am geting out, (FOR NOW), I am tired of working outside on racecars, yup thats right, ever since i got in, i worked outsde on it, or borrow gargae time from my friend's father. So I have everything you would need to race, even a half way decent 82 Rabbit with a 1.7L ,that was to be the "new" project.

Let me know if anybody needs anything. (Sorry i forgot to put my email earlier....its [email protected])

John VanDenburgh
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

do you have any 13x6 wheels??what do you wanr for the motor and what has been done to it??

Thanks Tim

[email protected]
    Tim Martin
    ITC VW RABBIT
    CFR

Does anyone know what the max spring rates are that a koni sport or bilstein sport can handle? Also, I'm planning to run a coilover kit at a pretty low ride height. Which one can handle the lower ride height best, koni sport or bilstein sport?

(this is on an '83 gti)

The Koni's could not handle the side load we put on them or the 700# springs in the Audi's. We switched to the Bilstiens and bumped up the spring rates a couple houndred pounds and we have not had issues. Be sure to have the Bilstiens valved for the springs you plan on having, it makes a big BIG difference in handling even if the springs are only a little off.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com