Thread: 240Z gearing for "The Rock"

All of this talk about returning to Rockingham is getting me excited. SCCA stopped racing there the same year that I started so I've never had the chance. Any of you Z guys have the skinny on the best rear gear? Or any other set-up notes for that matter...

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Whatever gear goes slower than me!

Seriously, I ran a 3.45 in the TR8 and did not run out of gear. I would estimate the top speed to be around 125-130, not quite as fast as Lowe's. I ran nearly identical tmes to the Pharr Z cars that test day.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I used to run a 4:38 gear in my ITC car, and never came close to running out of gear, but still had plenty of grunt through and out of the infield there (you'll need it to get out on the banking!).
    Hope that helps, as I have no idea what gears you have available for a Z-Car.
    Good luck, you'll have a blast there.
    Mark
    Mark P. Larson
    Fast Family Racing
    #83 GP Nissan 210
    CFR #164010
    3X CFR ITC Regional Champ
    1995 SEDIV ECR Champ
    Go Big Or Go Home!

It has been a number of years since I ran an ITS Z car, but here goes. If you are running a 240Z with the four speed, I believe you only have two choices 3.90 or 3.70. We ran a 3.90 gear at Moroso where the top speed was around 130. The tires were the old Hoosier street TD 225 50 14. We twisted it about 7000 rpm. If you are running the Hoosier radial at 225 45 15, now that would change things a bit. The other stock gear set that may come into play is the 3.70. I think the 4.11 is gonna be too much.

I am guessing that Mark ran his 4.38 with a five speed.

Bosco

Steve,

I ran a 3.90 gear in an ITC 510 there and 4 speed box if that helps any. If you never raced there you will LOVE it! Just watch out for teh exit of Nascar 2 I think. I remember the wall there actually protrudes about 3 feet inwards as your tracking out to it. Its been along time since I've been there so it may have changed. That place it great though...dam I wish I was going.
    Chris Newberry
    Atlanta, GA

Steve, When we ran the Z with the 14" hoosiers we used the 3.90. 3.70 maybe okay, 4.11 ma be too much. Hope this didn't help too much as we hope to be racing against you!

Chris, If you're interested in driving I know where you may be able to get a ride in a 240sx!! Send me an Email! [email protected]

David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series
    www.murphymotorsports.net

Thanks to everyone for the replys... I haven't been able to check back for a few days. The authorities in China block this forum! I guess they don't want people to share state secrets about motorsports.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

pharrone Guest

I was running a 3.7 and Matt had a 3.9 The 3.7 is better matched for corners and 3.9 probably better for top end. It's a drag race from climbing bank to entry at Nascar 3. Hold your line low off bank and no one with 3.7 can get around. From there back to oval it's a skating contest as there is no binder left between all the smooth pebbles called macadam and there are few passing spots unless someone bobbles a little.
    3.9 actually was best in 510 also.

I'm trying to raise enough $$ to buy up stock in my company so both our 240's, trailers, tow vehicles, and spares are available. That includes 8 new rains on Libres, and 18 Hoosiers, 8 with one heat cycle, mounted on Panasports.