Thread: Put your 82-85 Supra on a diet

I just checked the 2007 GCR and the new weight for the Supra is 2750 instead of 2890! That would be great if I new where to loose the weight!

Isn't the typical rule of thumb 0.1 seconds per 10lbs?
    Russell White
    Indianapolis, IN
    '85 Toyota Supra ITS #14

Wheels,exhaust, seat belt brackets, Hood and deck latches, Pulleys, radiator, Fasteners, Differential and ring gear, Seat and brackets, battery cable, gauges, ect.............
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Even with gutted doors and complete removal of the dash and a bunch of other stuff gone that would get me protested in ITS I still weigh in at 2850. All the trim is next to go. Then Plastic rear and side windows, Without a CF replacement front end I don't see ever getting close to legal minimum legal ITS weight. Even if the driver lost 100#.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Gutted cars are nice and all, just make sure you don't end up like my cousin Robbie. He got overzealous and gutted the radiator along with most of the car. I think he said he cut out the drive shaft too. Wonder how he got it to run after that?

I guess it is all about how much money and time do you want to devote to your IT car...
    I would imagine with enough money, buying the lightest components...you can make the weight.
    It's just a question of whether your willing to spend all of your spare time and thousands of dollars on your car to accomplish this.

I love those cars by the way. Had one with an automatic for a couple of years. Handled great and great torque from the straight six.
    "Entropy sucks"

I'd be happy to quit blowing up engines so I could spend the money to make the car faster/handle better.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

Have you tried shifting a little earlier, Jerry?
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Jerry, my car actually gets very close to IT min weight. At 2890 I had to add some ballast to make sure I met weight. Most of the pieces mounted under the dash are missing, but the roll cage goes straight through it. I have not had an engine failure yet, the only problem I had was an overheating issue and one of the lifters lost pressure, but after it cooled off everything came back to normal.
    Russell White
    Indianapolis, IN
    '85 Toyota Supra ITS #14

The last one was caused when the O2 sensor failed and the ECU went full lean. It just hammered a couple rod bearings this time. Only cost me a crank kit and one new rod.

Having learned a lot on this car I am tossing around the idea of building the other car into a legal ITS car. At least then if I blow one up I can go get the other and still run the Sunday race.

Ty,
    Rev limiter is 6250 and I normally shift between 5500-5800. And I quit useing junk yard pulls without going through them first. Oh and the injector rebuild stopped the oil level from going up two quarts in a 30 minute race. Thin oil is not conducive to long engine life. Whoda thunk that?
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

The last one was caused when the O2 sensor failed and the ECU went full lean. It just hammered a couple rod bearings this time. Only cost me a crank kit and one new rod.
    [/b]
    I just looked up 'snakebit' in the dictionary and there was a picture of your car next to it. You've had a real uphill road to follow.

Having learned a lot on this car I am tossing around the idea of building the other car into a legal ITS car. At least then if I blow one up I can go get the other and still run the Sunday race.
    [/b]
    I'm sorry to admit I laughed when I read that. I'm not sure I wouldn't have hung it up by now.

Ty,
    Rev limiter is 6250 and I normally shift between 5500-5800. And I quit useing junk yard pulls without going through them first. Oh and the injector rebuild stopped the oil level from going up two quarts in a 30 minute race. Thin oil is not conducive to long engine life. Whoda thunk that?
    [/b]
    Keep hammering on it. You'll get there eventually.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion