Thread: 944 Rollcage

Where are you guys putting the legs of your front hoop?
    On the rocker or floor?

Can anyone post photos?

Thanks,

Todd
    944 ITS (eventually)

I have a few pics on my webpage, including the following (body structure is all the same):
    http://www.vaughanscott.com/construction.htm

My cage is an off-the-shelf cage from OG Racing, so it's not as close as it should be to the roof, etc., but at least it attaches at the right points, more or less. Do it again, I'd move the main hoop forward perhaps a bit, and put the rear braces to the front corners of the trunk floor to grab the upper shock mounts (as noted in the other thread).

Welcome to the party!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Ditto on what 924guy says... attach to the rockers. Some pics of my build here: http://www.saltedslugracing.com/porsche944its

Welcome aboard and feel free to post or email if you have questions!
    1984 Porsche 944 ITS #54

Hi Todd, and welcome to ITS. Ive built 2 944 ITS cars both with custom cages. I used the Jon Milledge Engineering diagram as a guide. Couple things to note, yes place the main hoop on the shelf as you mentioned, run the front through the dash (the tubes will be where your heat/ac vents are now). For the rear go down to the edge of the shelf of the trunk, you're trying to hit where the rear shock mounts, look under the car and you will see where I mean. Do drivers side nascar bars, its very tight in my new car I went with an X this time (i will be changing this). Petty bar from the middle section going to the lower part of forward down section, from the front down I also made it an 8 point by extending to front pan (again trying to tie in suspension. Chris Howard from here in Massachusetts did my cage, I think he's in Hopkinton MA, if you're in the area call him you'll be very happy. Russ

All the structure is in the rockers. The shelf for the main hoop is pretty flimsy so tie into as many verticals as you can.

Tieing into the shock/spring tower is tricky and pushes the 30* rule, so pay close attention to your hoop placement.

http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/PorscheCages.html
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Thanks for the help and Info.

I'll mount the front hoop to the rocker. I plan to put it near the door/ a-pillar opening since I'll use Nascar bars. The main hoop is mounted near the door/b-pillar opening as well.In this position the rear main supports are near 42 degrees with the supports attching in the area you have described.

I felt the rockers were the sensible choice.
    I was concerened about the rules.

Thanks again,

Todd

If you're looking for an example, here is my cage:

http://home.earthlink.net/~geo31/Geo's_944_Cage.html
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Here are 3 pics of a 944 ITS cage I built several years ago. It closely follows John Milledge's design.
    I cut the front hoop tubes so they mount on the rocker and go all the way to the floor.

Chris Foley
    Tangerine Racing

Where are you guys putting the legs of your front hoop?
    On the rocker or floor?[/b]
    Current rules require the front hoops to be on the floor.

9.4.2.A.3: "The forward part of the cage shall be mounted to the floor of the vehicle."

This rule may change next year ... the proposed wording in the July Fastrack says: "The roll cage must attach to the vehicle structure (floor pan/ rocker boxes) within the passenger compartment in a minimum of six points and a maximum of eight points as specified in these rules."

But that isn't ratified yet.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe