Thread: 944 Rollcage

I am building a 944 for ITS.

Can the front hoop be mounted (welded) on the rocker panel which has a 2-3" wide horizontal "shelf"? This is by far the strongest point on the car. Or does it have to be attached to the single layer sheet metal floor pan?

The rules state floor, but what exactly is the floor?

Thanks,

Todd
    944 ITS

It is perfectly legal (and smart) to run to the rocker shelf. Either build a box that extends to the floor or put a 90 degree plate that sits on the shelf and extends to the floor. Be sure to spread the load with the proper thickness plates. PM me if you want a picture of what I'm talking about.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

What he said. +1
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Floor is floor; rocker panel is rocker panel. The cage rules allow for up to 100 sq in of mounting plate. Use it! Bend the mounting plates to the contour of the floor/rocker/footwell, and position the downtubes such that they are centered over the edge of the rocker so they have to be cut, with half ending on the rocker, and half on the floor. Weld around entire contact area - floor, verticle portion of rocker, and rocker. Very strong, very close-fitting, and meets all aspects of the rule w/o any gray area or strained interpretations.

Welcome!

Sounds like you're doing just like my cage, which is an off-the-shelf OG Racing cage (but the base mounting plate can and should be bigger, as noted). Definitely the good place to put the cage; likewise the rockers up front of the doors for the a-pillar bars, and the front edge/corners of the trunk floor for the rear braces - that's where the upper shock mounts are. Just make sure you have the main hoop forward enough to allow for the latter given included angle requirements.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

No bad advice here! Key here is the mounting plate rules - no more than 100 sq in, no longer than 12 in or shorter than 2 in on any side, and specifically recommend welding to a vertical surface "(such as a rocker box)". My main hoop attaches to the floor behind the driver's seat, but the mounting plate extends up onto two vertical surfaces that are at right angles to each other (the rocker box, and the part of the floor that comes up under where the rear seat was, to go over the gas tank).

Thread hijack mode on! Duck and run activated! Here's a question for the rules nerds.

"4. The mounting plate may be multi-angled but must not exceed these dimensions in a flat plane."

Does this mean that a mounting plate cannot be more than 100sq in as you look down at it, even if it had two 90 degree bends and has a 3 in rise, or does it mean 100 sq in of material, if you flatten the plate out into one plane.?

OK, that wave of cabin fever is past. Hijack mode off! (but still ducking). Probably a good question, but please, nobody go into panty wad mode, ain't worth it!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

or does it mean 100 sq in of material, if you flatten the plate out into one plane [/b]

That has always been my understanding of it....
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

My interpretation has always been that if you flattened all the pieces and laid them out on the workbench, </= 100 sq" with no overlapping pieces.

I&#39;ve hit 98 and 99.5 before. You can bet there was a ton of checking and double checking on those pads!
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy&#39;s Custom Cages
    It&#39;s not what you build... It&#39;s how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Big thumbs up to the section the tube and weld all the way down. This makes it stronger, safer, but a challenge to install.

The highest complement I ever recieved was a Tech inspector looking at my cage when I got my logbook and saying that it was a little overkill for an IT car! This was over 10 years ago and a lot of technology has come along since.

Mike