Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIR In March - CANCELLED??

Get ready to travel this year Greg. They have listened to the racers and I have been told it will be a 2 day this year with more track time.[/b]
    Steve, just curious, what are they considering doing to add track time and yet fit the event into 2 days? I'll be there regardless, but was just wondering.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Me three.

I guess I'll watch what comes for the May MARRS/SARRC weekend and decide if I want to do it, but I'm still really upset that they cancelled the March one. That perfectly into my schedule of sitting on my hands waiting for my Great Lakes season to start. [/b]
    Kevin, Summit Point Apr. 28.

Complaint has always been that the MARRS/SARRC was too many days with too few minutes on track. so now they will Qual in the morning, with a shorter race in the afternoon is what I understand which is the normal SARRC format thus cutting down all the time needed to take off for the long tows. Of course if the reg cost is the same this year it just shows they moved to this format to keep the cost down and squeeze in as much time as possible for each run group.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Biggest complaint has always been that they run only 2 qualifiers on Friday (Sat and Sun Races). Then you sit around all day Saturday and Sunday to just race. No practice--period. Discussion is that there will be two sessions each morning and both will be qualifiers and the races after lunch. Either way they are working hard to get us more track time for the drive and save friday for a test day. Much rather pay for a test and get tons of track time on friday and have shorter qualifier. The length of the track makes it hard to get cars out and back in without a lot of wasted time. I suggested they checker us at Black flag out of oak tree to save time in morning sessions. Every little bit helps. Need more time at speed and less on out laps and cooldown. Too good a weekend to miss because of schedule.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I have always wanted to run VIR but, if that is their feeling towards us, I say pull the whole plug - lock, stock, barrel, workers, everything. Screw 'em!
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

I am aware of the format, but I just dont see how we will get any more time then we did last year squeezed into 2 days. Its not possible with the large fields and size of the track. So instead of 2 20 min qualifiers on Friday with 1 ~40 minute race on each day we will get what? 2 10 min morning qualifier and a 20 minute afternoon race? Ok that works unless you break but its still the same amount of time on track just less at one time.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

So, is this going to be official in a few days? I still see it up on the SEDIV calendar. To echo everyone else's comments, THIS SUCKS!

Btw, Ruck, I love the avatar!

Mark

Mark Carpenter
    GGS Racing.com
    FP Integra #38
    ITA Acura Integra #17 --SOLD--

UNC-Charlotte and CT

I have not worked F&C in several years but doesn't NCR provide workers for about 10 weekends at VIR? Not a very good faith move on the part of VIR if they did pull dates from the SCCA after NCR worked to get a worker corp together for the track. If I were a worker there I would have to rethink participating in anything other than SCCA events at VIR.

Bob Lindenmuth [/b]
    Bob, I like the way you think. You notice that any race organization or driving school event want SCCA Flaggers. Why would that be?

So instead of 2 20 min qualifiers on Friday with 1 ~40 minute race on each day we will get what? 2 10 min morning qualifier and a 20 minute afternoon race? Ok that works unless you break but its still the same amount of time on track just less at one time. [/b]
    James, our races were only 10 laps or ~ 23 minutes last year. I can see them fitting 7 half-hour races into an afternoon, as long as we put the Miatas in the last group - then they'll have all evening to clean up. Hell, even if we get the same amount of track time I would rather pack it into 2 days than spread it over 3. And I'll bet the workers feel the same way.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Crap, I was planning to come down there too.

I have always wanted to run VIR but, if that is their feeling towards us, I say pull the whole plug - lock, stock, barrel, workers, everything. Screw 'em!
    [/b]
    This is the wrong attitude if you ever want SCCA to go back there. Low turnouts will just make it worse.

NCR provide workers for about 10 weekends[/b]
    Can't NCR "negotiate" workers in exchange for event weekends like other regions do? And by "negotiate" I mean BLACKMAIL !
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

I was poking around the NCR site and it looks like they officially worked only 3 extra races last year, nothing out of the ordinary for a "pro" track. I guess VIR must not use SCCA workers anymore (at least not official, probably lot's of crossover) for events like the Gold Cup. Maybe someone with more recent (relevant) experience there can chime in.

Here is the 2006 calendar for NCR. http://www.ncrscca.com/drivers.htm#calendar
    I was trying to get to the internet wayback machine to look for older calendars but my work blocks the site.

Bob

Earl, I think they count the pace lap in the "30 minutes or 10 laps" deal, and since it takes about 4-5 minutes to go around at pace speed, that's close to the 30 minutes. Not saying this is right, just saying I think that is what they do.

Yes, NCR provides workers to the track for almost all of their events I think. The track has -- I think, Ben help here if you can -- been working on developing its own worker force though.

I would greatly prefer that the weekend be like all Double SARRCs which is qualify in the morning, race in the afternoon.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

sure if I can get the same amount of track time in 2 days that I would get in 3 without paying for 3 days you got it. But if the cost is no different I actually enjoy the relaxed way things are done and the amount of time you have to attempt to put another motor together when you blow up.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

The region porvided workers for 3 extra events in 2006... Daytona Protoype's, Grand AM, and I think Stock car Spectaculare' ".

The track has it's own staff of corner workers. I believe they have enough crew to man every station with a worker shift (could be wrong). Most of these guys work every week, and even though they usually staff 1 person per corner, are very effective and experienced. IMHO, I think this probably has something to do with the situation at hand.

So often I see many of my SCCA friends present an arrogent attitude towards the SCCA and a track or another club. The kind of attitude that the "the track needs us", or were better than there workers, or we know best how things should be run. Or yet still... they needed us when they got started... well, they don't now!

In addition, rarely does the SCCA approach the track weekend as the customer. Instead, they want to run the entire show and tell everyone how it should be done. How many of us allow our customer's to handle the manufacturing or processing, or staffing of their order? Much less tell you how it should be done (and yes, I know the customer is always right)? In my business, if I don't like the customer, I don't have to do business with him right away (or ever again). We all can choose who we work with.

As for the dates... I heard that 3 clubs lost weekends. Porsche club included.

I love VIR. I wold race there every day, if I could. However, if they prefer Vintage, or car clubs, or Prestige events, so be it.

hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Hoop, good points all. Do you know how the NCR - VIR relationship is? It seems like Chuck Stanley is pretty easy to deal with etc. as far as workers, etc. goes. I don't know about the relationship between VIR management and SCCA local management though. Have we done anything to antagonize them?

I know that Rex and Scott did a ton of work putting in the lights at the corner stations for the enduros, etc. and didn't the region pay for the tech shed? Or am I wrong about that?

At the bottom of this though is exactly what you said. This is a business. If VIR can make more money with someone else, well, it is their track and they can do that if they want.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Another reason to advertise SCCA regionals as spectator events so the tracks can make more $. $ usually talks.

Yes, we paid for the Scale room and the Gazebo's. The lights are ours adn come and go with us.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Another reason to advertise SCCA regionals as spectator events so the tracks can make more $. $ usually talks.

[/b]
    Only if enough people show up to offset the extra cost of ticket takers. And tickets. Sounds silly, but SCCA spectator numbers aren't typically a big revenue stream...even at the ARRC, the counts are pretty dismal.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

There are spectators other than drivers & crew at the ARRC?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

There are spectators other than drivers & crew at the ARRC?
    [/b]
    Yes, Melissa was there, right?

(I never once saw her touch any car, so....she must not be a crew, right?)

(On the other hand, she didn't pay to get in, and Gregg Baker was a no show this year, sooooo, maybe you are right, no spectators!)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com