Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VIR In March - CANCELLED??

For you guys in the NEDiv (and other places) planning on heading south to VIR in March, looks like it may be cancelled. No details yet, but we (NC Region) may have lost that weekend and the race may be moved to Rockingham.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Das ist die Poopenstinkers.

K

I don't know what Kirk said... but apparently the track took weekends away from 2 or 3 clubs. I also recomend that you look at there schedule. The Goblins Go date is not listed either.

Any new word on the Rocky Mount track or the one in Spencer?
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Scheisse.

Well, that explains it. I called the track before XMas to see if I could book a room at the condos, and the lady told me the weekend that I described was shown to be booked as a Porsche Club event. She said she'd get back to me, but she never did...

Scheisse.

So, when's the first VIR event?

That's a shame...

Guess you guys are gonna have to come down in May, huh? We'll be sure to put out the welcome mat

Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

That sucks!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

This has been threatened for a while. When VIR originally opened, it was to be vintage and marque club events only. The owners originally did not want the SCCA there is what I have heard, kind of like Barber.

The worry in the NCR (Hoop an weigh in on this too) is that eventually the track management will allow NO SCCA events if they make enough money off of other rentals, etc. and they may be reaching that point with all the press VIR gets now.

I guess the only consolation is that last year, there were five SCCA weekends at the track -- March Memories (regional), May SARRC/MARRS (regional), August Oak Tree (national), October Goblins Go (regional), and the 13 hr. in November. So, looks like we may have got cut back to three, which still isn't too bad I suppose.

Greg, next VIR event is SARRC/MARRS which traditionally is mother's day weekend in May. Huge double SARRC, with the guys from MARRS coming down to run against the guys from the SARRC. Some people like it -- big event, some people don't -- not much track time as a result.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Scheisse.

Well, that explains it. I called the track before XMas to see if I could book a room at the condos, and the lady told me the weekend that I described was shown to be booked as a Porsche Club event. She said she'd get back to me, but she never did...

Scheisse.

So, when's the first VIR event?
    [/b]
    Well I guess that makes our decision a little easier Greg... Bummer!
    Jeremy Billiel

When you see who took the March event you will not be so happy. New track manager see's no loyalty to those who have supported them all along--just dollar signs. Very similar to Road Atlanta for a while when Panoz took over. Look for other groups to get screwed as well.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

When you see who took the March event you will not be so happy. New track manager see's no loyalty to those who have supported them all along--just dollar signs. Very similar to Road Atlanta for a while when Panoz took over. Look for other groups to get screwed as well. [/b]
    Who took the event? Is it because of additional track up keep caused by racing that is creating the problem? I wonder if Porsche Club racing, BMW club racing and nasa will get hit too?

So, what is it that makes us so undesireable to these tracks? Is it purely a profit motive, or are there other things about the way we do business they don't like? It sucks to loose any dates at tracks like VIR or RA, much less to face the prospect of loosing all dates.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Greg, next VIR event is SARRC/MARRS which traditionally is mother's day weekend in May.[/b]
    As I understand the format from other sources, it's not atttractive. I'd need more track time to justify the 12-hour each way, 7mpg, three days off work tow...

Sigh.

I have not worked F&C in several years but doesn't NCR provide workers for about 10 weekends at VIR? Not a very good faith move on the part of VIR if they did pull dates from the SCCA after NCR worked to get a worker corp together for the track. If I were a worker there I would have to rethink participating in anything other than SCCA events at VIR.

Bob Lindenmuth

As I understand the format from other sources, it's not atttractive. I'd need more track time to justify the 12-hour each way, 7mpg, three days off work tow...

Sigh.
    [/b]
    Greg,

I feel the same way.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

So, what is it that makes us so undesireable to these tracks? Is it purely a profit motive, or are there other things about the way we do business they don't like? It sucks to loose any dates at tracks like VIR or RA, much less to face the prospect of loosing all dates.
    [/b]
    Occasionally, track management may have a bad taste for the SCCA due to some history, but in general it's all about the Benjamins. The hosting region can either come up with a creative format that includes more entries or raise the entry fee. That's why you see events that include SARRC and ECR and Pro IT and CCPS and whatever. Either way increases the $/mile for the driver.

Whadyagonnado?
    Tom Sprecher

Sigh.
    [/b]
    Get ready to travel this year Greg. They have listened to the racers and I have been told it will be a 2 day this year with more track time. Hope to see you there.
    Talks are ongoing with the track and It is not my place to say who took the date. You will be surprised.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

What I have heard from others in the region is that it is about money (the entity taking the date rented both the full and the Patriot courses at the same time, which can be run together).

I understand there was some shuffling of the schedule at teh request of Porsche Club, not sure if the March cancellation was due ot that.

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Get ready to travel this year Greg. They have listened to the racers and I have been told it will be a 2 day this year with more track time. Hope to see you there.
    Talks are ongoing with the track and It is not my place to say who took the date. You will be surprised. [/b]
    How are we going to be surprised if no one will tell us?

Hopefully the weather will be better this year and I'll make it but I'll be in ITR. I think it's a 8 hr tow for me. Glad I don't live near the artic circle like Amy.

Sigh.
    [/b]
    Greg,
    I feel the same way.
    [/b]
    Me three.

I guess I'll watch what comes for the May MARRS/SARRC weekend and decide if I want to do it, but I'm still really upset that they cancelled the March one. That perfectly into my schedule of sitting on my hands waiting for my Great Lakes season to start.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Yes, this sucks all around. That was my favorite race weekend.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8