Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil? how often and what do you use?

it runs at 6500 all day when im ice racing , running swepco 306 5w30 right now just seeing what everyone else runs

95 integra IT2
    89 volvo 740 turbo

www.ssccracing.org

Mobil 1 5w30 for years...no failures or wear!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Same thing. Can't see a reason to change. There may be better, more exotic lubricants, but not for the price, protection, and availability.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Same thing. Can't see a reason to change. There may be better, more exotic lubricants, but not for the price, protection, and availability.
    [/b]

but my question is how often?

95 integra IT2
    89 volvo 740 turbo

www.ssccracing.org

Every race weekend.

Every other weekend, except if it's hot (100+ degF ambient) on race day, then every weekend.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Fresh oil works better in every facet of engine performance. I don't change mine as often as others, but I my schedule is offered to my by my engine builder, and we've never had an engine problem since I started using him. A good synthetic lasts a long, long time. Mobil 1 has done extensive tests in the use and abuse of their oils. All of which is readily available. Remember to change the filter, too. Different people have different ideas on filters, but the important thing is to change it with the oil.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Mobil 1 5W30 and Honda filter every weekend.

In a galaxy far far away......a wise Honda engine builder once said......."Use the Honda oil filter only"

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/engine_t...data_sheet.html

Honda filter, every weekend, and 5w30 pennzoil.
    Scott
    STU Z4?

Wow, you guys make me feel like a slacker. I don't change my oil anywhere close to every weekend. But I figure if I'm using good oil and a good filter in an environment that isn't sweltering hot or seriously dusty, it's good for quite a while. So I do a complete oil and filter change maybe twice a season.

In the past, I've used Mobil 1 and RedLine but am currently using Valvoline's race oil - all fully synthetic. (Not during a break in process though.) I also use a remote NAPA Gold oil filter - probably twice the capacity of a Honda filter and more effective. You'll see the same one under the hood of most World Challenge and GAC cars.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Not only do I change my oil every weekend, I cut open every filter and inspect the pleats. And I do it at the track.
    Scott
    STU Z4?

One in the beg. of the season, and once mid-season.

Here's several other responses to that question:
    Oil Change Thread
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

One in the beg. of the season, and once mid-season.[/b]
    Hah! Kiss that practice buh-bye, unless you want to find another engine builder...

Amsoil 20w50........before every race weekend ...use a remote Canton set up........oil analysis after every change
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Castrol Syntec 10-30 , change about twice a season , 4 engines , 10 years, no oil related failures. In truth when I do refreshes on the engines it is usually just a matter of hone and rings. I can't remember the last time I had to put bearings in on a refresh . Then again , Honda got it right the first time .

Mobile 1 5-30 I change the filter every weekend, I change the oil as soon as it starts to change from honey gold to a darker color. Ran one Honda engine for 10+ years without doing any bottom end work.

Replaced that engine this year when hole in oil pan left the driver with 5lbs of pressure suddenly. I have not taken that bottom end apart yet, but it was still running.
    MRL10

Replaced that engine this year when hole in oil pan left the driver with 5lbs of pressure suddenly. I have not taken that bottom end apart yet, but it was still running.
    [/quote]
    Better take it apart and check it. Did the same thing on a fresh engine when the oil drain plug got left loose before a test day. Halfway through the first lap, it came out. I kept oil pressure almost the entire rest of the lap. Put in a new plug and fresh oil, ran the rest of the test day with good pressure, but not great pressure. Got home, checked things out, had two rods and two mains scarred. No damage to crank, but that was almost an expensive lesson.

Did I tell you the owners of the track and the other guys testing that day weren't very pleased with me oiling down there track and shutting down business for a couple of hours?
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Hi, I will add to this ancient thread...

I use 5w-30 Mobil 1 on the 92 Civic si (eg). I change every 2nd to 3rd track day along with the filter (K&N). From reading this, I would be inclined to change over to NAPA gold filters...

Any thoughts on Redline 30wt on a stock bottom-ended Eg? I am tempted to purchase and install some before NARRC runoffs - but don't what to bet HP and my engine. The redline racing oil descriptions go as follows:

SAE 20 (5W20): Drag racing and single-lap qualifying, where the lowest internal friction is desired.
    SAE 30 (10W30): Sustained high-speed use in well-balanced racing engines where low internal friction is desired.
    SAE 40 (15W40): High-temperature use or when widely varying engine RPM may be encountered.
    SAE 50 (15W50): Extremely high temperatures, or when engine durability is the primary concern.
    SAE 60 (20W60): Alcohol burning engines.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

I use 30wt Redline race oil. Change it and the filter once a season (4 to 5 double race weekends and a couple practice days) adding about 1/2 qt of Mobile 1 for the rust inhibitors.

We just changed a blown head gasket. We figured the engine had the equivalent of 60 to 65 race days (qualifying and race) on it since it was rebuilt and the last new head gasket was installed. The insides of the cylinders look like new. My engine builder raced the car before I bought it from him.

In a straight line, I keep up with the ITC hot shoes. I just can't get around the turns as fast.
    Chuck
    ITC Honda Civic
    Green fueled, four on the floor, all terrain mustang

Sweet! Just bought 12 quarts from summit!
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.