Thread: 1.8l 16v GTI header question

Hi all,

I am racing a 1.8l 16v GTI in IT-2 (similar to ITA in SCCA) and have a header question. I currently have a 4 into 2 into 1 setup. The raicing setups I see online are mostly 4 into 1. Is there a performance difference and a preference between the two setups?

I have read this thread: http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...=3003&hl=header but still do not have a definitive answer. Are there any out there?

If there is, then, what are the preferred brands with the biggest gains in performance for the least amount of scratch?

The "Tri-Y" design works well for street cars, and is not bad on a race car. I think most of the race-optimized headers are the classic 4:1 design. For an off-the-shelf option, your best bet is Techtonics. Walt Puckett used to make some nice VW headers, but I don't know if his shop is still open.

I would also recommend TT for anything exhaust on a VW

A properly designed 4-1 will give more HP at the top end but at the expense of midrange torque.
    A properly designed 4-2-1 will give more midrange torque but you lose the top end.

So there is no "best header". Like cams, or gears or tires, some are better for top end while others are better for midrange.

At Mid-Ohio you're usually better off with a Tri-Y
    At Road Atlanta you'll probably want the 4-1.
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs