Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helmet Recommendations

Another consideration for those who feel pressure on the forehead later in a session. Check your balaclava.
    [/b]
    Good point Chris. With my Sport, I wore a balaclava that was carbon/kevlar blend--it was very thin without the vertical seam on the forehead--it made the helmet bearable for most of a session. My prior balaclava had a veritcal seam in the forehead that was the cause of most of the discomfort.

The Pyrotect really lacks adequate padding in the forehead area and my balaclava is a Carbon-X model without seams in the forehead area.

Try the helmet on with the balaclava on you intend to wear. If it is uncomfortable in 5 minutes, it most certainly will be in 30. Lastly, unless you are fortunate enough to have a head that fits a S/M/L/XL helmet well you might want to go with a model that offers hat sizes. I usually wear a 7 1/8, with some models that makes a pretty darn/too tight small or a way too big medium.

Definately try the helmet with the exact balaclava (if you choose to wear one) you will use. I ended up going up another 1/8" in size to make it comfortable.

I'll second all the info about different manufacturers building to different head shapes. I will also second the previous comment about HJC. I used to have a REALLY expensive ARAI (motorcycle) helmet that never was comfortable. I got an HJC with a bike that I bought and have owned nothing else since (for motorcycles).

I have a G-Force racing helmet that is very comfortable. Does anyone know who sells HJC SA-rated helmets? I'll need to replace mine soon and would not hesitate to get an HJC.

Besides hitting SafeQuip Tim at the track (or the SafeRacer display at the National Convention) how are you folks able to try on all of those different manufacturer / helmet size / balaclava combinations?
    Scott Gallimore
    worker, nat comp license, IT-7 driver,
    North Carolina Region Board of Directors, Member at Large

As far as trying on all the different combinations---I used to have an auto racing safety equipment business, and I have been racing for 18+ years owning 6 different helmets.

I found HJC SA rated non-Carbon fiber models here:

http://www.extremesupply.com/hjchelmets/hjchelmets.htm

I found HJC SA rated Carbon fiber models here:

http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/HJCHelmet...utohelmets.html

Besides hitting SafeQuip Tim at the track (or the SafeRacer display at the National Convention) how are you folks able to try on all of those different manufacturer / helmet size / balaclava combinations?
    [/b]
    In my case, I called the manufacturer looking for retailers in my area. When we bought my wife's helmet last year we were clued in to Behrent's ( http://behrents.com/index.htm ) in Florida, NY (near Ossining), which is primarily a circle track outfit that carries a large selection of helmets by various manufacturers. They were very accomodating, and let us try helmets on to our hearts content. In fact, they are an Impact dealer, so we are headed up there in the next few weeks to go through the same process for me.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

..... in Florida, NY........... [/b]
    Whats that, some civic planners' idea of a cruel joke?????
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Whats that, some civic planners' idea of a cruel joke?????
    [/b]
    I prefer to think of it as boundless optimism.

...and it's much more liveable than Cuba, NY.

...and it's much more liveable than Cuba, NY.
    [/b]
    but not as nice as Mexico (NY) http://www.eastern-lake-ontario.com/januar...4_snowstorm.htm

Well, after reviewing all of the really great advice, I decided on the Bell M2. I ordered it from Paula at SafeQuip, who assured me that if it did not fit, I could exchange it for the correct size with no restocking charges (Paula and Tim at SafeQuip are great to work with). Anyway, the helmet fits great, but I have another problem.

I have been wearing a Hutchens head-and-neck restraint device with my old helmet. I've been waiting for the Hans / SFI 38.1 / Isaac / Mandatory / Recommended mess to get sorted out before updating to something better, but in the meantime, I need to install the Hutchen D-rings on the M2. My old helmet was a Bieffe, and installation of the D-rings in it was easy because the liner was removable. It appears that the liner in the M2 is glued into the helmet. I have seen photos of the M2 online with D-rings installed, but can't figure out how to do it without ripping out the liner and reinstalling the liner with a hot-glue gun or something similar. Any thoughts on this dilemna?
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

But way closer than Wyoming, NY.

[/b]
    Since you are in NC check for some suppliers for the short tracks in the area. We have one near us that has 5 trucks on the road prices are generally very competitive and you can Try the Helmet on. T Weaver

I making the assumption it is ok to remocve the Hans attachment "Button" and install in New helmet.? T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

I'm one of the fatheads (7 3/4), so the Bells have worked well for me. My Sport expired last season and I have always gone by the "$10 head=$10 helmet" philosophy, so I anted up for one of the Bell M3 helmets. Comfortable fit for me, but the light weight really blows me away. The M3 feels like it weighs 1/2 of my old Sport.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp