Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Motor/ Trans mounts

Let's see if I got this right. I can't substitue a different stayrod, but I can add one, even if the car alrerady has one? [/b]
    That's correct... the rule clearly states one may be added, unqualified.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

per page 298 of GCR2007

r. One (1) engine stayrod may be added.[/b]
    if it says we can add one, we can right? is there any limit to the shape or the number of mounting points?

it looks like we could have a triangular piece that could mount to the motor at one point but mount to the car at two.

oh, and if you use the poly inserts in your motor mounts, you could pull them quick in impound.

i hide mine in the windshield washer bottle.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

per page 298 of GCR2007
    if it says we can add one, we can right? is there any limit to the shape or the number of mounting points?

it looks like we could have a triangular piece that could mount to the motor at one point but mount to the car at two.

oh, and if you use the poly inserts in your motor mounts, you could pull them quick in impound.

i hide mine in the windshield washer bottle.
    [/b]
    this same question about stayrods came up a year or so ago. a rod is not a triangle. a rod is a straight bar and has two attachment points. one on the engine, one on the car.

marshall

i think there is little in the definition of "stayrod"

is there a max diameter then for a "stayrod"?

does it have to be a round rod or can it be hexagonal?

can it be made of tubing or does it have to be a solid rod?

and does it have to be rigid or can it be like these?

would the above be acceptable as a stayrod?

and does it have to be rigid or can it be like these?[/b]
    Depends... if you use the GCR glossary definition of Stayrod, the pictured item is clearly out... it must be rigid, and any reasonable person would say that "rigid" applies in all directions.

If you use the GCR glossary definition of an Engine Steady Bar, it gets murkey. Here we have "...beam or rod" as part of the definition. I personally have a problem with the pictured device being called either of those, but reasonable persons could disagree, I suppose.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Where it gets murkier, is when you look at the stock example.

A rod.....mounted in...wait for it....rubber filled with liquid.

And then you look at this: The rubber ends have become rod ends, but the liquid is now in the center.

Hmmmmm.

Functionally, the stock version and this one are very similar. They both provide location, with a controlled amount of movement. If stock is allowed, and stiffer than stock is allowed to be added, then logic would seem to dictate that this would be allowed.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

the GCR definition is:

Stayrod - A rigid reinforcement bar or rod interconnecting opposite sides
    of a car at structurally significant locations.[/b]
    and essentially everywhere in the GCR, other than the IT engine stayrod section. stayrod is mentioned when referring to suspension items, etc. unless i missed something.

i like Greg's take on it!

How does Greg's take on it change anything? You can add a stayrod. Go ahead and add one! Design it or buy one that is legal under the definition of a stayrod in the GCR.

If your 'added' one does a better job than your factory one because your factory one is worn out, so what? Just keep your factory one in there.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I couldn't resist chiming in here - especially since my motor is going in TONIGHT!

I believe it was Greg who had an idea about placing a stayrod alongside a factory mount. Using the same mounting location no less. If anybody is familiar with the Fiero dogbone - that idea would work great.

PS - for the record that motor goes in on the old stock mounts. :P

(But I was pulling the trans and bellhousing on my stock car yesterday and man does that thing have the sweetest set of aluminum mounts. And yes, the trans and motor share, but not quite like the Fiero. ( which sucks).
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Jeremy, this rule is easily enforced. A simple durometer test between the two would surface the illegalities. Now KNOWING that someone has these is the difficult part.

If I was trying to take down a known illegal car, this would be one of the items I would name on my protest.
    [/b]
    Sorry to bring this up after so long, but I'm just catching up on some of this. If the stock material is polyurethane, the durometer comparison might just work. But, if the stock material is rubber, the durometer outcome would depend on such intangibles as age, prior exposure to heat, exhaust fumes, engine bay chemicals or even sunlight. As I go through last year's leftover tires with my trusty tire durometer, I WISH rubber products kept the same hardness as they aged
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service