Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford Expedition w/24' trailer ...

When I towed back from Portland Rose Cup in June 2003, I got 16 mpg with my dual axle open trailer, VW Wabbit, 8 tires on the rack, and the entire bed of my 1998 Dodge 2500 4x4, Quad Cab, Turbo Diesel, filled with tools, parts, etc. Tonnau cover also helps, as well as the 4" turbo to tail-pipe exhaust, and the SuperChips programming of the ECU.

Sweet spot for it is about 1,900 rpm, at about 64 mph

You hardly know the trailer / car are behind you.

Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Oops, sorry Jeremy. You didn't say you towed anything with that F150.
    Curt Cearlock
    72 Datsun 510 #33
    San Francisco Region

Don't do. The Expedition is too light.

I wouldn't even attempt an enclosed with my F150 Super Crew.
    [/b]
    Too light? I've towed 1000s of miles with a 20 ft enclosed and my Lightning. No problems whatsoever. Tows good, stops good, can't ask for anything more. Truck weighs about 4600 lbs, certainly lighter than a lot of rigs but I don't have a problem with it.

Heck think about the trucks they towed with 25-30 years ago - far worse than many of our med and some light trucks, but folks still did the same things they do today.

R

I would chime in that towing a 24' enclosed trailer with an expedition ( or similar sized vehicle ) is not well advised. its not about towing capacity / engine power, but more about mass.

If you have that trailer loaded up, and pull with an expedition, it doesnt take much for that trailer to take the truck along for a ride.

Check out my post about half way down this thread: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=...der=asc&start=0

I had a properly loaded trailer, and was towing with my 03 expedition with a 24' trailer. some crosswinds and a passing semi got the trailer moving, and we were along for the ride. we were lucky...

i will never tow this size trailer without my 1 ton dually. the towing is night and day.

just another viewpoint.

wade powell
    above all motorwerks

FWIW, I've towed a 20' enclosed w/ an Expedition. I tried to keep the trailer as light as possible but it's prob still 6500-7000lbs. With a weight distribution hitch, it was white knuckles every time I passed a semi. Added the Equal-i-zer weight distribution/sway control hitch and was able to drive the rig w/ one hand.

Also, the stock pads on the Ford is pretty aweful. I've tried both Performance Friction Z-Rated and Hawk LTS, and it was like racing with stock pads vs Hawk Blues. No more glazed brake feeling, great initial bite and progressive pedal.

My Exp had the tow package and 3.73 rear end. On long incline, I just rev it at 4-5K rpm in 2nd gear and unless it's a very long flat area, I ran w/ Overdrive off most of the time to keep it from hunting. It never complained but the gas gauge certainly did. The Exp started its towing life w/ 100K miles on the clock.

FWIW, I've towed a 20' enclosed w/ an Expedition. I tried to keep the trailer as light as possible but it's prob still 6500-7000lbs. With a weight distribution hitch, it was white knuckles every time I passed a semi. Added the Equal-i-zer weight distribution/sway control hitch and was able to drive the rig w/ one hand.

Also, the stock pads on the Ford is pretty aweful. I've tried both Performance Friction Z-Rated and Hawk LTS, and it was like racing with stock pads vs Hawk Blues. No more glazed brake feeling, great initial bite and progressive pedal.

My Exp had the tow package and 3.73 rear end. On long incline, I just rev it at 4-5K rpm in 2nd gear and unless it's a very long flat area, I ran w/ Overdrive off most of the time to keep it from hunting. It never complained but the gas gauge certainly did. The Exp started its towing life w/ 100K miles on the clock.
    [/b]
    I too have towed a 20' enclosed with an '03 Expedition (2nd-generation). Truck weighs about 5800lbs, BTW. 5.4L, 3.73, towing package. I used a standard weight-distribution setup and friction-based anti-sway. I never had any white knuckle moments at all, but it drank gas like I drink Coke (i.e., too much). It's a great tow with the open trailer though.

I think for an enclosed trailer, you really want a diesel.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Despite the weight I've never had any trouble towing or anything. I generally run about 65-70mph, probably not as fast as some of you, or maybe even slow sometimes. It does tow better with an open rig, but since I only use my truck for towing about 5% of the time I didn't want to purchase a truck based on a 5% duty. Besides, I visit Europe frequently (used too, slacked off lately)and have lots of friends there who tow race cars with stuff you wouldn't dream of here, they just don't have what we have and gas is $7 a gallon. They get by just fine!

I've put one of these up before, but here's Malcolm and I loading up the 40 on an open with his Audi 100 for a 4 hour tow to Donnington. Worked great!!!! I'm not discounting what you guys are saying at all, larger truck is certainly better I'd say. But, smaller ones can get it done too. I sometimes run off OD as well, turning about 3000 RPM or so. Doesn't seem to affect the mileage at all.

I LOVE the British, but....thier townig customs make even me raise my eyebrows sometimes, LOL.

Some great towing disasters on YouTube involve Brits and "caravans"
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I beleive that in a heartbeat! When you drive around England and Germany in the summer when everyone has their trailers out you would not believe what you see. I wish I'd taken some photos in Germany year before last, man o man. I'm not saying this is safe, or ideal, but we've got it good over here in the US and certainly "over tow" to an extent, must be that manly man thing in us.

Ron